From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Tuk is not a "has been skater" nor a "not that competitive skater". She is the current world silver medalist. She has a fairly consistent 3A and she has landed quad toe in practice (I hope she lands one in a competition soon). That is not a "non competitive" skater.

Kostornaia will need to win a bunch of competitions leading into the Russian nationals and medal there to improve her chances.
Kostornaia with a triple axel will score higher than Tuk
we'll see in the FS if Kostornaia attemps a triple axel.

as I said, she needs to be ahead of Tuk in this competition same in SC.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Kostornaia with a triple axel will score higher than Tuk
we'll see in the FS if Kostornaia attemps a triple axel.

as I said, she needs to be ahead of Tuk in this competition same in SC.
Kostornaia's competition is not with just Liza. There are other highly talented ladies in Russia.

We will see if she lands the 3A.

I love Alena's skating. I think she should have been ahead of Kamila by a wider margin, but to say Liza (the current world silver medalist) is a "has been" or "non competitive " is offensive to me because it is not correct.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Kostornaia's competition is not with just Liza. There are other highly talented ladies in Russia.

We will see if she lands the 3A.

I love Alena's skating. I think she should have been ahead of Kamila by a wider margin, but to say Liza (the current world silver medalist) is a "has been" or "non competitive " is offensive to me because it is not correct.
what I mean Tuk isn't competitive in russian standards.
If Shcherbakova, Trusova, Kostornaia, Valieva all skate clean they will be all ahead of her.

Ka3sha

Long interview with Diana Davis/Gleb Smolkin

Diana also says that her hearing issues has been exaggerated by the press/fans, and do not affect her everyday life or training.

Ka3sha

In another Ice Dance news, Nikita Katsalapov has injured his back during practice at the Russian Cup event #2 in Yoshkar-Ola, and they had to withdraw from the FD. Zhulin says they will get to know more about recovery and his condition when they come back to Moscow

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Long interview with Diana Davis/Gleb Smolkin

Diana also says that her hearing issues has been exaggerated by the press/fans, and do not affect her everyday life or training.
they seem like well adjusted young people. Thanks for posting this.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I was away for a couple weeks, so I have to ask (instead of searching many threads)-

Have Boikova-Kozlowski competed internationally yet this season? They were initially listed for Finlandia but canceled.

I see P/K are listed for the next CS (Budapest).

I completely missed Nebelhorn.

Ka3sha

Have Boikova-Kozlowski competed internationally yet this season? They were initially listed for Finlandia but canceled.
Boikova/Kozlovski had to withdraw from Finlandia as they had US visa appointment in Tashkent, Uzbekistan with the rest of the Russian team scheduled to compete at Skate America. They are in Pain Memorial entries lists for this week (local competition in St Petersburg)

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Palyuchenko / Khodykin are fine. They competed today in a russian cup stage.
love love the lift innovations especially the triple twists :eek: is that a first ?

Boikova / Kozlovski and Trasova / Mozrov better stay consistent or else
Pavlsyuchenko / Khodykin are waiting

At the end of the day consistency and hard work triumps over potential and talent
My ranking for now

1 Mishina / Galliamov
2 Pavlyuchenko / Khodkin
3 Tarasova / Morozov or Boikova / Kozlovskii (both inconsistent )

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Sylvia

TBD
RuFed's article today on the Pairs SP at the 2nd Russian Cup in Yoshkar-Ola (includes embedded SP videos of top 4):
Daria Pavlyuchenko and Denis Khodykin will not perform at this stage of the Russian Cup with a free program [Black Swan program, choreo. by Zhulin]. As the coach of the pair Sergei Roslyakov said: this is the first start of the season of athletes, Dasha and Denis, of course, are not in optimal shape, both had health problems in the offseason and at the end of the season, then a rather long recovery, so it was decided not to force it into the Olympic the season is not worth the risk.
Interviews with all coaches after the test skates [Sept. 13, 2021]
Google translated excerpt re. Pavliuchenko/Khodykin's new SP from the report linked above:
- We changed the short program, made a new one to the soundtrack from the musical “Nine” to the song “Be Italian” performed by “Fergie”. This program is also staged in a dance style, but this is not a repetition of the previous one, but an attempt to present the Pavlyuchenko - Khodykin pair in a completely new quality. Many thanks to our choreographer Betina Popova, because it was her idea of choosing the music, and together with the guys they "sketched" the initial story, which we then all together corrected, refined and worked out. Together with our acrobat Yuri Tyukin, we changed almost all the acrobatic "tricks" with which last year's short Dasha and Denis were saturated. We tried to create images that the guys show on the ice, readable and understandable for both the judges and the audience.

In my opinion, this program will really reveal and show Dasha from a new side - she will appear more relaxed, even brighter. Dasha in this program will become a Muse for Denis, who plays the role of a creative person, an artist in the broadest sense of the word. I think the program will impress, - added Sergey Roslyakov.

Last edited:

SLIVER

That’s quite a prog from Pavlyuchenko/K, a lot of innovation, the entry into the loop is insane. He really lucked out skating with her, she’s quite something. His basics, his posture and his general look are not what you’d expect from a team of this calibre but he’s getting better every year.
I can’t see them making the Olympics but I’m sure by worlds one of the ‘top 3’ won’t go and they might be able to take a spot. What depth there is in Russia right now in the pairs, it’s almost the early/mid 90s again.

soogar

what I mean Tuk isn't competitive in russian standards.
If Shcherbakova, Trusova, Kostornaia, Valieva all skate clean they will be all ahead of her.
I think Tuk is really competitive- especially since at the moment she is the only Russian lady consistently landing a 3 axel in the short program. I think that if Russia wants to maximize its gold count, they may want to think about the construction of their Team for the team event. Tuk will be a very reliable short program skater with maximum value. Any combination of girls will medal in the womens event, but the team event can garner gold medals for all.

In term of skating clean, the results have to be real and not theoretical. Tukt has been consistent for the past 3 years. The others save for Scherbakova are not. I don't think Valieva is this bulletproof competitor that people want to make her out to be. In terms of consistency, Anna Scherbakova is the toughest competitor. Trusova has a lot of technical content but I'm not sure if the Russian fed would want to put her in any leg of the team event. She is too unpredictable. Kostornaia has a long way to go. I don't see her making the team unless she restores her triple axel. I also think that Tuk has the most entertaining programs this season. I'm very encouraged by her performance at Finlandia, and she has a lot of room to add points.

BittyBug

Disgusted
We spend so much time talking about the depth in ladies, but pairs is pretty insane, too. In any other country, Pavlyuchenko and Khodykin would be the top pair, but instead they're fighting an uphill battle to get into the top 3. It's nuts.

I like the energy and innovation of the SP, even if I loathe the music. I rue the day the ISU decided to allow vocals.

Sylvia

TBD
RuFed's recap today of the Pairs FS at the 2nd Russian Cup in Yoshkar-Ola (includes embedded FS videos of the top 3):
Top 3: Pepeleva/Pleshkov (193.78 total, 127.66 in FS), Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov (178.24), Akhanteva/Kolesov (176.70).

love_skate2011

Banned Member
That’s quite a prog from Pavlyuchenko/K, a lot of innovation, the entry into the loop is insane. He really lucked out skating with her, she’s quite something. His basics, his posture and his general look are not what you’d expect from a team of this calibre but he’s getting better every year.
I can’t see them making the Olympics but I’m sure by worlds one of the ‘top 3’ won’t go and they might be able to take a spot. What depth there is in Russia right now in the pairs, it’s almost the early/mid 90s again.
Khodykin isn't very graceful to say the least, he has some truck driver qualities like Larionov, late Coughlin, etc.
he is Nice but he's very lucky to have Pavlyuchenko, she is gritty like Stolbova, Sui, Savchenko.

With Pavlyuchenko's acrobatic skills
imagine if she had a partner someone like Galliamov, getting a quad twist with that twist exit , the throws / lifts would also be more jaw dropping.

Never say never, all it takes is for Boikova or Tarasova to bomb and they are off the podium.
B/K and T/M are notoriously inconsistent.

Panfilova/Rylov might never become top calibre seniors for their lack of triples, but Pavlyuhcneko / Khodykin's teamamtes
Khabibullina / Knyazhuk have triples SBS Triple Lutz eu salchows to boot. He is tall but lets see how much taller she grows.
Because in Golden PAIRS Rule, A Short man always end up in Failure, worst than Ice Dancing.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Khodykin isn't very graceful to say the least, he has some truck driver qualities like Larionov, late Coughlin, etc.
he is Nice but he's very lucky to have Pavlyuchenko, she is gritty like Stolbova, Sui, Savchenko.

With Pavlyuchenko's acrobatic skills
imagine if she had a partner someone like Galliamov, getting a quad twist with that twist exit , the throws / lifts would also be more jaw dropping.
Khodykin is a cuddly sweetheart and I am very happy for Betina Popova to have found him after all she had to go through.
He also does emote and is very expressive. Although he might be a truck driver, he is capable of different facial expressions. I find him very adorable and endearing.

litenkyckling

Palyuchenko / Khodykin are fine. They competed today in a russian cup stage.
love love the lift innovations especially the triple twists :eek: is that a first ?

Boikova / Kozlovski and Trasova / Mozrov better stay consistent or else
Pavlsyuchenko / Khodykin are waiting

At the end of the day consistency and hard work triumps over potential and talent
My ranking for now

1 Mishina / Galliamov
2 Pavlyuchenko / Khodkin
3 Tarasova / Morozov or Boikova / Kozlovskii (both inconsistent )
I'm not convinced consistency and hard work trumps over potential and talent because P/K should've been sent to worlds over M/G technically, given that they finished 10 points higher than them at nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
So, Artur Dmitriev Jr. has registered for at least one U.S. qualifying competition (Championship Series in Alpharetta, GA in November) - as a non-U.S. citizen he is allowed to do so since he has not represented Russia since 2018 Rostelecom Cup and as long as he gets permission from USFS (like Paniot did in 2019) - pertinent USFS rulebook excerpt is here: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1448701977026826240
I guess we'll have to wait and see if he actually shows up and competes.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
So, Artur Dmitriev Jr. has registered for at least one U.S. qualifying competition (Championship Series in Alpharetta, GA in November) - as a non-U.S. citizen he is allowed to do so since he has not represented Russia since 2018 Rostelecom Cup and as long as he gets permission from USFS (like Paniot did in 2019) - pertinent USFS rulebook excerpt is here: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1448701977026826240
I guess we'll have to wait and see if he actually shows up and competes.

:watch:

Sylvia

TBD
Dmitriev's mother, Tatiana Druchinina, coached in New Jersey for a while, IIRC. Found an online bio:
Druchinina lived in the United States from 1993 to 2007. She worked with single skaters, including Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen, pair skaters Evgenia Tarasova / Vladimir Morozov, and even our own founders, ice dancers Kristen Fraser / Igor Lukanin. After returning to Russia, she worked for many years at the Sports Palace "Jubilee" Club in Saint Petersburg with the sports group and pairs of Tamara Moskvina. In 2011, she moved to Moscow, where she briefly coached her son, Artur Dmitriev Jr.. She collaborated with Svetlana Alexeeva's ice dancing students in the 2011–12 season and with Alexander Zhulin's ice dancers.
Tatiana Druchinina can currently be found for the last five years working at the United States Figure Skating Association’s Champs Camp which is an invitation-only camp provided for high performance athletes. This performance-based camp is intended to prepare athletes for the Grand Prix Series. Her most sought-after skills are Choroegraphy, Expression and Presentation, and Ballet.
ETA: I believe she accompanied Pepeleva/Pleshkov to the John Nicks International Pairs Challenge in NYC last month?

Dmitriev Jr. was born in St. Petersburg in Sept. 1992 so he must have spent quite a lot of his growing up years in the USA.

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Such a special day! 😆
In the “Ice Age” we often could see professional skaters who had to transport their “wooden” partners. Today we can see the contrary: an unprofessional partner transports a figure skater (in this pair Oksana Domnina is a figure skater)
This is the third number for this pair.
His name is Kirill Zaitsev.

hanca

Values her privacy
I hate the low number of pair entries at the Russian senior nationals. They have 12 entries, and the pairs who have GP event qualify automatically. That’s seven pairs, seven spots gone. Junior pairs who got into JGP final also qualify. That’s another 4 spots gone. So even before the qualifying competitions (Russian cups) started, there is only one spot left. There is five Russian cup events, and yet they all fight for the only one place left at the nationals. That’s ridiculous!

There is several pairs who have been reasonably successful in juniors and are ageing out of juniors after this season.
Akhanteva/Kolesov
Kostiukovich/Briukhanov
Mukhortova/Evgenyev
Khaibulina/Kniazhuk
Geinish/Mironov

Some of them are lucky that their JGP season went well and they got into JGPF, which qualify them for senior nationals, but there are also pairs who have been pretty good and won’t be able to get into senior nationals, to get on the national team.

Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Briukhanov did not get to JGPF, so their only chance is to qualify through two Russian cups events - as there is only one spot available, they need to win both events and have higher score than anyone else who may win two events.

Akopova/Rakhmanin have been pretty good recently; they scored over 200 at the competition in Budapest. Yet at their Russian cup they placed ‘only’ third, with a score 193 so they are likely out of nationals.

Is it really so hard to add a few spots and have four warm up groups instead of three?

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Do we know that all of the JGPF couples will be going to (senior) nationals? That’s really unfortunate if only one of Akopova & Rakhmanin / Akhanteva & Kolesov / Kostiukovich & Briukhanov (if they want to) will get to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information