2022 Four Continents Comes To Rude Euro Land (Relocation to Tallinn)

MsZem

I see the sea
For as long as I can remember, Europeans seems to be Russian Nationals, and then everyone else.
This is true if one's memories don't go further back than 2020.

The men's event at Euros was Javier Fernandez and then everyone else for years. P/C not winning in 2020 was shocking after five straight titles.

In the women's event, Russian dominance is actually a fairly recent development. After Slutskaya's retirement, no Russian woman medalled at Euros until Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova in 2013, and it was Kostner who won that year. Kostner medalled at every European Championship she competed at from 2006 through 2018, and before 2013 she was usually joined by Finnish skaters and/or Sarah Meier. So it's been two championships with an all-Russian podium. I expect 2022 will make that three in a row, but maybe someone will surprise us.

Anyway, at any given time either 4CC or Euros will be the stronger event for certain disciplines. I think Euros typically has more competitors, but this does not necessarily equate to depth ;)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
.... I think Euros typically has more competitors, but this does not necessarily equate to depth ;)

Not in the early years of 4Cs, before there were ISU minimum scores...when half of the women competitors were suburban Americans on their vacations.

It’s changed but it’s taken 4Cs a while to shake-off the early reputation for being the ISU’s poor cousin.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

How many skaters do they expect will attend? 😆

It's Tallin, Estonia. I'm not kidding.
Can anyone enter, or is it just open to Four Continents countries?

Maybe they can get Dick Button out of retirement, considering he is the only Non-European man to win that competition.

All kidding aside, that location couldn't be more remote from North & South America, Asia and Oceania.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea

It's Tallin, Estonia. I'm not kidding.
This way it'll be equally inconvenient for skaters based in East Asia and North America! Perhaps Lambiel is behind it :sekret:

NA-based European skaters undertake similar travel in Olympic seasons (and this year's competitors will have to travel to Tallin just a week earlier), so we'll see if the issue is the distance or something else.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

This way it'll be equally inconvenient for skaters based in East Asia and North America! Perhaps Lambiel is behind it :sekret:

NA-based European skaters undertake similar travel in Olympic seasons (and this year's competitors will have to travel to Tallin just a week earlier), so we'll see if the issue is the distance or something else.
I heard that Epimetheus, one of the moons from Saturn, had put in a bid to host.

MsZem

I see the sea
Are there even direct flights to Tallinn from any of the 4CC countries?

Time to change the thread title, I think, or start a new thread.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Plus the list of entries still says Tianjin.
Something has definitely changed and we can probably expect an announcement, I think, within the next day or two. The main event page says Jan 17-17, 2022; the list of entries main page still says Jan 16-22, 2022 which were the original dates; and the captured sreenshot that was tweeted out said Jan 18-22, 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information