U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylark

That's sometimes true, but what I loved about Anna's Firebird and Alena's Twillight program was specifically that both looked like they were having so much fun with those programs.
Yes, and Anna's performances, for me, contain so much artistry, heart and soul that she doesn't project that terrified quality. She's close to Evgenia in performance quality, but they're different kinds of performances. I almost agree that the kind of joy that Alysa radiates is what figure skating is all about. But not quite. Because as long as a program engages skater and audience in the passion and expression of some feeling, it can be that transcendent thing that lets me live inside a work of art. The skaters who accomplish that every time are Papadakis/Cizeron. But there are others who create that experience for me too. ETA: To bring it back to US ladies, the closest current lady is Karen Chen, a great example also is Ashley Wagner. But as Sandra Bezic has said, it's always been true even in 6.0 that the program and performance only matter when the technique is good and jumps are there.

skylark

That's sometimes true, but what I loved about Anna's Firebird and Alena's Twillight program was specifically that both looked like they were having so much fun with those programs.
Yes, and Anna's performances, for me, contain so much artistry, heart and soul that she doesn't project that terrified quality. She's close to Evgenia in performance quality, but they're different kinds of performances. I almost agree that the kind of joy that Alysa radiates is what figure skating is all about. But not quite. Because as long as a program engages skater and audience in the passion and expression of some feeling, it can be that transcendent thing that lets me live inside a work of art. The skaters who accomplish that every time are Papadakis/Cizeron. But there are others who create that experience for me too.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Eteri's skaters sometimes seem to skate scared. Never do they show what Sandra Bezic called "the passion to skate." It is all very serious. Another skater whose skating embodied the joy of skating was Midori Ito.
Cannot disagree. The only current Eteri skater who seems to pay attention to the music & emote (sometimes) is Petrosian, IMO. However, emoting alone won’t win medals.

skylark

Apologies for the duplicate post. Apparently I don't know how to delete a message here; I'll try to remedy that. Someone may enlighten me. :)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If Bradie is not healthy / ready for Skate America, I wonder if Alysa can sub for her. It would give Bradie more time to prepare for Italy and let Alysa minimize travel.

ETA: I mean instead of doing the Italy GP.

Last edited:

olympic

If Bradie is not healthy / ready for Skate America, I wonder if Alysa can sub for her. It would give Bradie more time to prepare for Italy and let Alysa minimize travel.
Is there any indication that she is not healthy?? Tom Z said she would be there ...

Tavi

ETA: I mean instead of doing the Italy GP.
Unlike the JGP, I’m pretty sure you’re not allowed to drop out of one GP event and then be reassigned to another (but I don’t have anything to support that 😊).

RoseRed

Unlike the JGP, I’m pretty sure you’re not allowed to drop out of one GP event and then be reassigned to another (but I don’t have anything to support that 😊).
You're right.
If a Seeded or “Come-Back” Skater/Couple withdraws from an assigned event, even for medical reasons, that Skater/couple will not be assigned to another event.
Non-Seeded Skaters/Couples will not be invited to another event in replacement if they choose not to skate in an assigned event. l) Non-Seeded Skaters/Couples will not be invited to another event in replacement if, by medical reason, they withdraw from an assigned event.

centerpt1

Alysa has the difficult GP events. It is unfortunate, especially if Bradie isn't recovered by Skate America. Bad luck to not have JGP last season, have a growth year, and be 4th at Nationals.When the GP's were assigned, how could they know Alysa would improve so much? Alysa would be better off to have Skate America.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Alysa has the difficult GP events. It is unfortunate, especially if Bradie isn't recovered by Skate America. Bad luck to not have JGP last season, have a growth year, and be 4th at Nationals.When the GP's were assigned, how could they know Alysa would improve so much? Alysa would be better off to have Skate America.

I’m glad Alysa will do her GP events with other probable Oly podium skaters.....

I want the judges to consider her a medalist by the time the Olys arrive.

giselle23

Yes, I don't understand why Alysa wasn't given Skate America. But going against such tough competition will give her a chance to prove herself.

attyfan

I’m glad Alysa will do her GP events with other probable Oly podium skaters.....

I want the judges to consider her a medalist by the time the Olys arrive.
IMO, this might be one reason why Alysa didn't get SA -- doing well against the favorites will help in the eyes of the judges. IIRC, something similar happened to Sarah Hughes at Skate Canada.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Yes, I don't understand why Alysa wasn't given Skate America. But going against such tough competition will give her a chance to prove herself.

Because she wasn’t the US champion to begin with, and I’m glad she wasn’t given skate America, it’s her first year as a senior and I want to see her be sent off to other destinations to compete with heavy hitters as I mentioned before. I want to see her kick butt abroad.

I’m craving that she was given difficult assignments and I want to see her destroy

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

As far as the ladies skate America spots I called it back in April, I thought to myself they’re going to give it to Bradie as she is the champion..... Amber Glenn since they did not send her to worlds and then a TBD spot. And I thought that Alysa would be given two other assignments that were not skate America so as far as that goes I called it back in April.

ANL pats himself on back. Tee-hee

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

They tend to, but not always, give Skate America to top two finishers at U.S. Nationals. The bronze and pewter medalists tend to get other GPs to maximize chances for an American lady to qualify for the GPF.

Totally. Bradie and Amber just as I thought they would

Although personally I’m not a fan of this method I always think they should spread the wealth to try and maximize medals collectively. I’m not a fan of sending both the US national champion and silver medalist to skate America. I like it when they are separated. So I’m not liking skate America dance or men’s this year obviously!

And pairs lol I forgot C & J were recently added

Last edited:

euterpe

The advantage to Alysa going to Skate America is an easier chance at making the GPF. Sometimes the US fed just shoots itself in the foot.
Maybe and maybe not. It is possible, indeed probable, that the Russians will have problems going to the GP event in France. If that happens, and those skaters have to be rescheduled elsewhere, we will wind up in the same situation as with the JGP and likely the same solution---using top scores. And we all know which ladies get the highest top scores.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
There is no reason that the UFSA shouldn't have given Alysa a spot at SA. She would have sold tickets and it would have been a great way to make her GP debut.
Nathan Chen is already there. If anyone was going to fill up the arena, that have it covered with Chen. Only hardcore skating fans will have tracked the last few years of Liu, and they'd likely be in Vegas anyways with or without her on the roster IMO.

As touched upon around the thread, the National Champ is usually given the event (Tennell) and I am wondering if Glenn didn't have two events in the initial round of selections, which then prompted the USFS to name her upfront as well. The third spot is always TBA in the initial rounds, and Liu was already selected for two by then.

With Paniot's addition to the event, Eldredge will also be there. Maybe he can get some more seats sold for long-time fans such as @Brenda_Bottems

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
With Paniot's addition to the event, Eldredge will also be there. Maybe he can get some more seats sold for long-time fans such as @Brenda_Bottems
If the USFSA had the sense to market Todd Eldredge (resplendent in leather jacket and American flag mask) in coordination with Skate America,I guarantee the arena would be filled to capacity with legions of seasoned ladies.

Apologies to @AngieNikodinovLove but Todd is a proven ticket-seller,not Amber Glenn or Bradie Tennell.

-BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information