U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I think they were talking about Tara Lipinski in 1998. Kwan was not skating around Nagano with joy and youthful energy. Almost the opposite.
Absolutely. I immediately thought of Tara-1998. Also...while it’s “ancient history,” Tenley Albright also conveyed that same quality of carefree joy while competing in Olympics & Worlds. Janet Lynn, too, most times. That’s a very special quality, rarely seen.

Last edited:

olympic

Absolutely. I immediately thought of Tara-1998. Also...while it’s “ancient history,” Tenley Albright also conveyed that same quality of carefree joy while competing in Olympics & Worlds. Janet Lynn, too, most times. That’s a very special quality, rarely seen.
From what I understand though, Janet was a mess while competing at figures. One book noted she broke down after a particularly bad tracing at Sapporo in 1972, but don't quote me ...

Lacey

Yes on the Janet Lynn reminder,
Alyssa's skating really reminds me of Janet's sparkle.

To compete so happily is a gift.
I don't know if this can be taught or is born in one,
but Alyssa is doing it now and is having a great time!

Alyssa's musicality was also a HUGE part of her long program,
she enhanced her skating by putting elements right on the beat,
lifting her head & smiling, using her hands, arms, toes, feet & legs
while doing complicated artistic movements, jumps and spins,
to accentuate the skating and stretch it artistically.

Again, I don't know if someone taught her this
or if she was already doing it, if it's new choreographing or coaching,
but her skating at Nebelhorn was more complete than before.
To be able to jump and spin and not just do it, but to do it elegantly--
SHE'S A WHOLE PACKAGE NOW!

And no, I don't know whether she will make it onto the USA O Team.
Who knows if she can compete with other countries' skaters,
but Alyssa's got more now than she had before...
Good for her & her current coaches to keep improving everything!

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

P.s. Who, besides Alysa Liu, consistently skates with non-stop carefree joy today? Hungary’s Vivien Papp. She’s just 13, though... Papp is promising for the “carefree joy” quality. Hope that this continues as she develops. She seems genuine...from the heart...not forced.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

P.s. Who, besides Alysa Liu, consistently skates with non-stop carefree joy today? Hungary’s Vivien Papp. She’s just 13, though... Papp is promising for the “carefree joy” quality. Hope that this continues as she develops. She seems genuine...from the heart...not forced.
I really liked Papp's skating from last weekend. For some reason she reminded me of Switzerland's Natalie Krieg, who was also a very showy skater.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

To me that’s what figure skating is all about, the complete joy Alysa has. It seems like a lost asset in figure skating the last 10/15 years

Willin

Other than obvious bias, it's why I've never liked the Eteri girls (minus Evgenia). All of them look some mix of focused during the program and terrified after they're done. There's no joy in it, no fun kiss and cry celebrations, no performance. It makes me sad to watch. Alysa reminds me of Mirai at her first senior nationals: a burst of energy and joy. I've felt she's more business the last two seasons, but there's still joy there, so it makes me happy. Skaters like her, Javi, and Jason remind me why I like watching skating.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
There's no joy in it, no fun kiss and cry celebrations, no performance. It makes me sad to watch.

I know if you go back and look at videos of Janet Lynn or Dorothy Hamill you see such joy in figure skating. And I miss the days where you would hold a position or a spiral or would hold the position in a spin to really appreciate it. Now every layback is the same. Right up in to the Bielman. There’s nothing exciting about it anymore it’s just a formula everyone does. I wish for some return back to skating of yesteryear either limiting jumps to no more than four or five or something that puts the skating back in figure skating

sk9tingfan

Other than obvious bias, it's why I've never liked the Eteri girls (minus Evgenia). All of them look some mix of focused during the program and terrified after they're done. There's no joy in it, no fun kiss and cry celebrations, no performance. It makes me sad to watch. Alysa reminds me of Mirai at her first senior nationals: a burst of energy and joy. I've felt she's more business the last two seasons, but there's still joy there, so it makes me happy. Skaters like her, Javi, and Jason remind me why I like watching skating.

Post-Tuberidze Stress Syndrome.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I know if you go back and look at videos of Janet Lynn or Dorothy Hamill you see such joy in figure skating. And I miss the days where you would hold a position or a spiral or would hold the position in a spin to really appreciate it. Now every layback is the same. Right up in to the Bielman. There’s nothing exciting about it anymore it’s just a formula everyone does. I wish for some return back to skating of yesteryear either limiting jumps to no more than four or five or something that puts the skating back in figure skating
Dorothy Hamill's delayed axel was always a thing of beauty.

Lacey

Watch Isabeau Levito skate----now there's a skater who exudes joy from head to toe and through every fingertip.
I agree, noticed her because she skates in NJ and I am in PA, so think that's why I got some coverage of her comps.

Don't want to jinx her, but she's lovely and a good jumper.

When will she become a Senior skater?

Taso

I agree, noticed her because she skates in NJ and I am in PA, so think that's why I got some coverage of her comps.

Don't want to jinx her, but she's lovely and a good jumper.

When will she become a Senior skater?
Looks like she could go senior next season, her birth is March 3, 2007.

She is really good! Her performances at JGP Courchevel 2 were excellent! Really rooting for her :)

Jammers

Looks like she could go senior next season, her birth is March 3, 2007.

She is really good! Her performances at JGP Courchevel 2 were excellent! Really rooting for her :)
To get to the next level Isabeau really needs to improve her basic skating like Alysa did and work on her jump technique which is hard to watch sometimes with the way she lurches forward when she enters into a jump.

olympic

Interesting take. Going back to Lipnitskaya, most of Eteri's skaters appear to muscle their jumps which takes away from the program. It is less about beauty and power, although there are exceptions such as Kostornaia generally and Shcherbakova (not the quads though). Trusova on a good day has nice jumps but still sacrifices a lot of the program components to get the job done

I rewatched Zagitova's Olympic LP. She weaves side-to-side at the entrance of her 3Z and it is a clever way to disguise a Flutz.

Eteri is really #1 at code-whoring, but she is playing by the ISU rules, so you can't really complain about it too much. I don't think though that Women's skating is as interesting as it could be though

VGThuy

Eteri's skaters sometimes seem to skate scared. Never do they show what Sandra Bezic called "the passion to skate." It is all very serious. Another skater whose skating embodied the joy of skating was Midori Ito.
They all went to the Tatiana Totmianina/Victoria Volchkova School of performance. Just like how half the American ladies went to the Sasha Cohen school of jump landings and the other half went to Sarah Hughes’.

wickedwitch

Other than obvious bias, it's why I've never liked the Eteri girls (minus Evgenia). All of them look some mix of focused during the program and terrified after they're done. There's no joy in it, no fun kiss and cry celebrations, no performance. It makes me sad to watch.
That's sometimes true, but what I loved about Anna's Firebird and Alena's Twillight program was specifically that both looked like they were having so much fun with those programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information