2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

Sylvia

TBD
icelabpodcast (photo of Maddie Schizas with Trennt & Mike M. at High Performance Camp?): https://www.instagram.com/p/CTAol9gr8zw/
or
On this week's addition of the podcast, we have a much newer skater to the Senior international scene, Madeline Schizas. We talk about her explosion into the senior ranks, including her first major event at the 2021 World championships, her training and day to day life at home, and some other fun things you might not know about her. Maddie is for sure someone to keep your eye out on, and we hope you enjoy this addition!
They chatted for about 20 mins. on Thursday, August 19 (after her season debut at Cranberry Cup).

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
And Kaiya is officially our first women's JGP multi-medalist since 2008.

Skate Canada typically sends juniors in search of senior minimums to Warsaw Cup in the fall, but they may want to consider also sending her to Finlandia (once she's had a bit of time off after back-to-back events).
Agreed! She is definitely a contender for the Olymoic spot and they need to get her out to a senior B sooner rather than later. She should have time now that her JGP assignments are done to extend her FS to senior length and get it competition ready by early or mid-October.

honey

Agreed! She is definitely a contender for the Olymoic spot and they need to get her out to a senior B sooner rather than later. She should have time now that her JGP assignments are done to extend her FS to senior length and get it competition ready by early or mid-October.
Yes! SC do not put this off! Send her to get the minimums and get it out of the way ASAP.

Luckily she already had a senior version of her free skate (compete senior at challenge last season), so hopefully it’s a fairly smooth transition back to that length.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
There are several senior internationals to on Skate Canada's events page so I'm sure they will find at least one for Ruiter to go to. It might depend on the status of the JGPF and whether she qualifies. Ruiter's personal best score is now 179.92 whereas Schizas got 185.78 at worlds - keeping in mind one fewer element in the jr free skate. Other Canadian women have personal best scores in the low to mid 170s so it should be an interesting season.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I noticed that Schumacher is not listed for Autumn Classic on the Skate Canada assignments page that was updated today. She is still on the ISU list. I hope she's not injured and maybe they are giving her another assignment instead.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada confirmed on their international assignments page that Audreanne Foster is competing at JGP in Ljubljana. And Catherine Carle has been assigned to the JGP in Gdansk. Only one JGP left to be assigned. Any predictions who gets it?

million$momma

Skate Canada confirmed on their international assignments page that Audreanne Foster is competing at JGP in Ljubljana. And Catherine Carle has been assigned to the JGP in Gdansk. Only one JGP left to be assigned. Any predictions who gets it?
Sara-Maude Dupuis appears as a substitute multiple times. I think hers is the only name that hasn't had an assignment yet.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Sara-Maude Dupuis appears as an substitute multiple times. I think hers is the only name that hasn't had an assignment yet.
Yeah based on her showing at Challenge last year I expected her to get one of the first assignments. They seem to have put a lot of weight on the results from the next gen camp (5 of the top 6 there have been assigned - Dupuis was fifth there and not assigned yet). So it's likely her or Rose Théroux who has also been listed as a sub and who put up a good score at the Quebec Summer Skate.

Marco

There are several senior internationals to on Skate Canada's events page so I'm sure they will find at least one for Ruiter to go to. It might depend on the status of the JGPF and whether she qualifies. Ruiter's personal best score is now 179.92 whereas Schizas got 185.78 at worlds - keeping in mind one fewer element in the jr free skate. Other Canadian women have personal best scores in the low to mid 170s so it should be an interesting season.
I say definitely enrol Ruiter to either the US or Canadian fall international (or why not both?!) and let her gain her TES mins if not already, and let her accumulate some WS / attempt a higher SB. Also, since she can't go to Skate Canada, there should be some sort of direct comparison between her and other senior ladies who would be there.

ETA: now that it seems like her JGP performances don't count towards the Olympic qualification criteria, all the more reason for her to go to senior Bs! Where is 4CCs this season?

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I say definitely enrol Ruiter to either the US or Canadian fall international (or why not both?!) and let her gain her TES mins if not already, and let her accumulate some WS / attempt a higher SB. Also, since she can't go to Skate Canada, there should be some sort of direct comparison between her and other senior ladies who would be there.

ETA: now that it seems like her JGP performances don't count towards the Olympic qualification criteria, all the more reason for her to go to senior Bs! Where is 4CCs this season?
The US and Canadian fall internationals are the same week-end and Ruiter wasn't assigned to either (no Canadians are going to the US event). She probably needs more time get her senior program ready.

There are a few internationals on the Skate Canada international assignments page: Finlandia, Cup of Austria, Warsaw Cup, and Golden Spin. I'm sure Ruiter will get at least one of those events. In the 2019-20 season, Skate Canada assigned the Warsaw Cup to skaters who had been on the JGP. Ruiter's assignments might depend on how the junior grand prix final qualifications work and if she qualifies.

4CCs are in Tianjin, China. Ruiter may get to do 4CC and jr worlds if she doesn't get the Olympic spot.

Marco

The US and Canadian fall internationals are the same week-end and Ruiter wasn't assigned to either (no Canadians are going to the US event). She probably needs more time get her senior program ready.

There are a few internationals on the Skate Canada international assignments page: Finlandia, Cup of Austria, Warsaw Cup, and Golden Spin. I'm sure Ruiter will get at least one of those events. In the 2019-20 season, Skate Canada assigned the Warsaw Cup to skaters who had been on the JGP. Ruiter's assignments might depend on how the junior grand prix final qualifications work and if she qualifies.

4CCs are in Tianjin, China. Ruiter may get to do 4CC and jr worlds if she doesn't get the Olympic spot.
Thanks @Frau Muller and @danafan. Too bad she can't do the US / Canadian senior B - it's closer to home and she can get the basic requirements out of the way ASAP.

In any event, if she makes JGPF and it clashes with a senior B that she wants to go, I say definitely go to the senior B because only that helps her case for BOW for the Olympics. Just not sure if there will be repurcussions if she skips JGPF after qualifying for it.

Karen-W

Thanks @Frau Muller and @danafan. Too bad she can't do the US / Canadian senior B - it's closer to home and she can get the basic requirements out of the way ASAP.

In any event, if she makes JGPF and it clashes with a senior B that she wants to go, I say definitely go to the senior B because only that helps her case for BOW for the Olympics. Just not sure if there will be repurcussions if she skips JGPF after qualifying for it.
Golden Spin is the only Challenger event that clashes with the JGPF. The others are in October & November so she would be fine going to one of them to get her senior TES mins.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
As much as I’ve enjoyed Ruiter in Courchevel, I don’t quite understand why some are so intent on pushing her above Schizas...who was such a delight at Worlds...exquisitely musical for one so young AND technically capable.

Is there really such a pro-Ruiter/anti-Schizas push in Canada? Please explain.

honey

As much as I’ve enjoyed Ruiter in Courchevel, I don’t quite understand why some are so intent on pushing her above Schizas...who was such a delight at Worlds...exquisitely musical for one so young AND technically capable.

Is there really such a pro-Ruiter/anti-Schizas push in Canada? Please explain.
I haven’t seen anyone pushing her above Schizas? I think the push in the thread is about not getting into a situation come January and February where Kaiya is the last one standing and has no senior minimums to compete at the Olympics. There are not that many women in Canada in the running for the Olympic spot and you might as well maximize your options.

Right now I think there are probably 2-3 others in Canada that I would place above Ruiter in the Olympic spot contest. Kaiya has demonstrated more consistency then basically anyone else in Canada right now, which is the biggest feather in the cap currently. But solid skates from Schizas and Daleman would have them easily above her at nationals (IMO of course). Maybe Schumacher as well. But it’s very early still and a long way to go.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I haven’t seen anyone pushing her above Schizas? I think the push in the thread is about not getting into a situation come January and February where Kaiya is the last one standing and has no senior minimums to compete at the Olympics. There are not that many women in Canada in the running for the Olympic spot and you might as well maximize your options.

Right now I think there are probably 2-3 others in Canada that I would place above Ruiter in the Olympic spot contest. Kaiya has demonstrated more consistency then basically anyone else in Canada right now, which is the biggest feather in the cap currently. But solid skates from Schizas and Daleman would have them easily above her at nationals (IMO of course). Maybe Schumacher as well. But it’s very early still and a long way to go.
Thanks. Maybe I’m too sensitive but it seemed sad that, with only one Oly spot, Canadians weren’t thinking about Schizas vis a vis Ruiter. I consider Schizas as Canada’s obvious choice for Beijing 2022. I’d cheer Ruiter for the next quad (assuming current crop of women)...hoping for 2 or 3 sports for Canadian women by then.

Karen-W

I think Schizas is probably in the driver's seat when it comes to winning the Olympics spot but I do believe that Ruiter could come in and blow the field away at Canadian nationals and that would put Skate Canada in an awkward situation, not at all dissimilar to 2020 when Schizas didn't have her senior minimums so they didn't even assign her to Worlds. It's such a very Canadian thing to do to shoot themselves in the foot like that and I'd rather not see them go down the same stupid path again. Get Kaiya out to a couple of senior Bs in October and early November so that she has more than one chance to earn the senior minimums without fuss.

wickedwitch

I think Schizas is probably in the driver's seat when it comes to winning the Olympics spot but I do believe that Ruiter could come in and blow the field away at Canadian nationals and that would put Skate Canada in an awkward situation, not at all dissimilar to 2020 when Schizas didn't have her senior minimums so they didn't even assign her to Worlds. It's such a very Canadian thing to do to shoot themselves in the foot like that and I'd rather not see them go down the same stupid path again. Get Kaiya out to a couple of senior Bs in October and early November so that she has more than one chance to earn the senior minimums without fuss.
It's really remarkable the number of times SC has made the exact same mistake of not sending their skaters to Challengers/senior Bs. Hopefully by now they've learnt something, but I won't feel confident that SC won't screw this up until Kaiya has at least one assignment.

Colonel Green

I would rate Schizas ahead of Ruiter right now, but I'd be hard-pressed to put Daleman or Schumacher ahead of her.

Now, both of them have the chance to change their narratives in their events coming up, but right now Daleman has (unfortunately) been a mess for years now; even if she were to have a great nationals, would you bank on her being able to repeat that performance? Schumacher, meanwhile, if we're being honest, does not really have a triple-triple.

screech

I was just reading Schizas' Wikipedia page, and wow has she ever progressed in the last few years. She was 6th in Novice at Canadians in 2018, and just 3 years later was 13th in the world.

I do think that she is our top Canadian lady and best bet when you look at the whole package. That's not to say there can't be some surprises at Canadians - just remember Larkyn Austman outperforming Alaine Chartrand in 2018

hoptoad

I got to see Schizas' free skate at Cranberry Open and was super impressed. She was quite smooth and polished for so early in the season. She could use a little more speed, but I expect her PCS to keep going up in her coming events.

I also really enjoyed watching Ruiter's JGP skates this season. It could turn into a fantastic rivalry for Canada. Can anyone say how Ruiter looks in the speed department?

I like them both!

Colonel Green

That's not to say there can't be some surprises at Canadians - just remember Larkyn Austman outperforming Alaine Chartrand in 2018
But in that instance, the third women's spot on the team was always going to be a ridealong from whom the fed didn't need anything.

In this case, we're talking about one spot for the Olympics, so whoever goes is going to be needed to beat Italy and China in the team event and hopefully keep as close to Japan as possible in the short program. Somebody who just ekes out a win at nationals is going to be in the Ross Miner (or 2014 Mirai Nagasu) situation.

All the Olympic hopefuls need, at a minimum, to demonstrate consistency across their major events this season (particularly in the short program, where the team bronze may be won or lost). Anybody coming into nationals without at least one prior clean short program with a 3-3 is, in my view, likely already out of the running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information