From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don't think scores from two years ago mean much to the Russian federation anymore. It's what you did the last time you competed. If you want to go to Europeans, better be on the podium at nationals. Want to go to the Olympics--same and you better be on the podium at Europeans.
Russia has a plethora of riches in Ladies skating. I think they need an ouija board or something to figure out who will be long-lasting, and who won't.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yeah I'm just fascinated to see if we get a Tuktamysheva situation with one of the current wunderkinds in the future ... falls out of contention for a long while and than comes storming back.
Sure, but even Tuktamysheva has years when she is on the team, and years when she is off and therefore in those years she had to rely on family funding.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I really like the T/M interview @TAHbKA translated (thank you!). They sound grounded and like they've been reflecting on their own mindset and training. I like how equal and open their partnership is, and that their communication skills have improved over the years. I'm sad that they (and especially Evgenia) were so demoralised after Worlds that they started wondering about their future as a team, but the image of them coming together to talk after a couple of days of silent brooding and Vladimir assuaging Evgenia's self-doubt and the two of them recommitting to their partnership warms my heart.

The only problem is that I always like what they say in the offseason and then they always lay an egg when it matters most. Let's hope Tutberidze can help them with their competition nerves. She and Mishin are the only coaches I'd trust with headcases of T/M's calibre.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Trusova doesn't have enough Russian culture, brains and endurnce to make it.
I'd be very happy for her and extremely surprised if she makes it.
Huh???? Since when one needs culture or brains to make it (and when did you last speak to Trusova to asses those?) and rofl about Trusova lacking endurance - I mean anyone can land these 5 quads in a practice, no endurance needed.

Yeah I'm just fascinated to see if we get a Tuktamysheva situation with one of the current wunderkinds in the future ... falls out of contention for a long while and than comes storming back.
Well, it would have to be a short girl with a great technique and well developed muscules who will not win the Olympics and will be ambitious enough and poor enough and insanely in love with figure skating to stay. Kostornaya has the technique, Trusova has the muscules, Scherbakova - the love to figure skating and I really hope none of them is that poor.
I can see Scherbakova attempting to stick around, but....

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Huh???? Since when one needs culture or brains to make it (and when did you last speak to Trusova to asses those?) and rofl about Trusova lacking endurance - I mean anyone can land these 5 quads in a practice, no endurance needed.

Well, it would have to be a short girl with a great technique and well developed muscules who will not win the Olympics and will be ambitious enough and poor enough and insanely in love with figure skating to stay. Kostornaya has the technique, Trusova has the muscules, Scherbakova - the love to figure skating and I really hope none of them is that poor.
I can see Scherbakova attempting to stick around, but....
Shcherbakova the body can only do so much, I dont think she'll last 1 olympic quad

Kostornaia its about the motivation,
she comes off as impulsive, entitled, lazy, primadonna.

Valieva if she grows any taller I dont think so too.

Thats why only Trusova, if she wants to skate more than two seasons like Tuk
she has the technique, the muscles, the body buildt to endure, its a matter of how long she wants to stay.

The two stepsisters, forget it. for the starers, they are forgettable, devoid of any personality

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yes the step sister crap needs to stop. It's not funny, witty, or valid, it's annoying, childish and makes the OP look pitiful and stupid.

And my other per peeve about this thread...who gives a damn if a skater is going to still be skating in 4 years? They have lives.outside skating. They have different motivations and goals. Different needs. They aren't mechanical dolls there for some anonymous fans viewing pleasure.. They are human beings doing a challenging sport. How long they continue to do so is up to them and circumstances.

Last edited:

mjb52

It's especially ridiculous as both Daria and Maiia have done long and interesting interviews recently, which show that they have plenty of personality and maturity, especially given that I don't think either of them is even fifteen yet!

(btw it took me three tries to get the spelling of Maiia right! I had to google her ISU bio in the end... :))

Ka3sha

Channel 1 Cup 2022 is scheduled for the beginning of March

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Channel 1 Cup 2022 is scheduled for the beginning of March
Interesting timing since Worlds will be not too long after. But, this will give skaters who didn't make the Olympic or World team an earning opportunity.

Bigbird

It's especially ridiculous as both Daria and Maiia have done long and interesting interviews recently, which show that they have plenty of personality and maturity, especially given that I don't think either of them is even fifteen yet!

(btw it took me three tries to get the spelling of Maiia right! I had to google her ISU bio in the end... :))
THE IGNORE BUTTON IS OUR FRIEND. USE LIBERALLY.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Russian National team for 2021/2022 season:
Ladies

Main team: Valieva, Trusova, Tuktamysheva, Usacheva, Khromykh, Scherbakova
Reserve team: Kostornaia, Nugumanova
Men
Main team: Ignatov, Kolyada, Kondratyuk, Mozalev, Samarin, Semenenko
Reserve team: Aliev, Gumennik, Danielian
Pairs
Main team: Boikova/Kozlovskii, Mishina/Gallyamov, Tarasova/Morozov
Reserve team: TBA
Ice Dance
Main team: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, Zahorski/Guerreiro
Reserve team: TBA

Final lists should be approved by Russian Sports Ministry by June, 1st
They look strong in all four disciplines, which is nice. Of course ladies and pairs are their strengths but in a team competition they look pretty strong, like no weakness.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really like the T/M interview @TAHbKA translated (thank you!). They sound grounded and like they've been reflecting on their own mindset and training. I like how equal and open their partnership is, and that their communication skills have improved over the years. I'm sad that they (and especially Evgenia) were so demoralised after Worlds that they started wondering about their future as a team, but the image of them coming together to talk after a couple of days of silent brooding and Vladimir assuaging Evgenia's self-doubt and the two of them recommitting to their partnership warms my heart.

The only problem is that I always like what they say in the offseason and then they always lay an egg when it matters most. Let's hope Tutberidze can help them with their competition nerves. She and Mishin are the only coaches I'd trust with headcases of T/M's calibre.
I would trust Tamara the most but I know it is not a possibility for them now.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Interesting: her best gliders are Kostornaya, Kolyada, Tarasova and Gallyamov. I never noticed anything special in Tarasova's gliding. Can't wait to see her live

Bigbird

Oddly Stolbova/Klimov had one of the best Argentine tango programs. All that tension suited them.
Yes. They were always on the verge of a death stare. Fit like a glove.

Now it's all about the points. Less about character. Hopefully P/C can rescue us next season. Right now consoling myself with Silverstein and Pekarek 1999 and 2000.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes. They were always on the verge of a death stare. Fit like a glove.

Now it's all about the points. Less about character. Hopefully P/C can rescue us next season. Right now consoling myself with Silverstein and Pekarek 1999 and 2000.
I am maybe the only one here, but I am glad that P/C have time off. I was getting bored when the gold medal in ice dance was taken before the competition even started. I prefer when there is a fight for the medals.

Bigbird

I am maybe the only one here, but I am glad that P/C have time off. I was getting bored when the gold medal in ice dance was taken before the competition even started. I prefer when there is a fight for the medals.
But why shouldn't it go to them? Objectively there is no competition except between the rest of the world and the Russian Federation.

Japanfan

Because from the position of a spectator, I like the drama of not knowing who the medal would go to.
And the word objectively…there is nothing objective in ice dance scoring!
Yes. At the Olympics three of the four gold medals are already pretty much a done deal (and fourth to go one of several skaters from the same country) - although my heart will skip a beat when S/H skate. But I can't see them losing the gold unless they really muck it up, and I doubt they will do that on home ice.

When the gold is decided, as it often is, my attention turns to the fight for silver and bronze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information