From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

I only find it bizarre because if they had skated clean they would most likely have won. What happened with Zhenya and Alina was different, that must have been deeply difficult for Zhenya to take, to do so well and come so close, but B & K made serious mistakes, so it's just sort of a strange comment to make.
I think there were tensions about their choreography. Truthfully though M/G had superior programs both. I sense like all coaches people have favourites and Sasha made it get to her.

Kateri

void beast
I think there were tensions about their choreography. Truthfully though M/G had superior programs both. I sense like all coaches people have favourites and Sasha made it get to her.
I don't get the impression Moskvina has favourites at all. But while I don't begrudge Sasha her emotional outburst in the moment, I do worry that B/K's resentment and envy will cause THEM to believe that Moskvina has favourites, and create rifts where none need to be there. I hope Moskvina can smooth it all over!

Jonas

Where is that one uber crazy fan of M/G that used to post about them constantly...she must be ecstatic right now!

Where is that one uber crazy fan of M/G that used to post about them constantly...she must be ecstatic right now! 🤣
I'm not THAT uber, crazy fan, LOL; however, even before Mishina & Galliamov moved to Moskvina's group I thought that they were already an even match to Boikova & Kozlovskii. I believe I even posted this on here right before the Grand Prix Final, where BTW M&G beat B&K, and I remember being dismissed on that notion. I conceded that BoikLovskii was the better packaged team and they presented better in competitions, whereas MishiLLiamov were teetering on boring, if not for their impressive technical prowess.

I think MishiLLiamov's move to Moskvina gave them that extra touch of polish and stank on their performances. I would hardly consider it a total makeover, but enough to make them more believable contenders (at least in my book) for the big titles. Of course, they had to deliver the goods -- and they did. I wasn't sure if the judges would give it to them, but I'm happy that they did.

Your thoughts...

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Boikova is young, they both have very feisty personalities even though they are usually quirky and fun. It’s not as if it was a close call and Tamara gave M/G the secret to success. B/K likely had it in the bag if they skated well- they themselves blew it.

It was in the heat of the moment and I’m sure everything is fine today.

Jonas

Boikova is young, they both have very feisty personalities even though they are usually quirky and fun. It’s not as if it was a close call and Tamara gave M/G the secret to success. B/K likely had it in the bag if they skated well- they themselves blew it.

It was in the heat of the moment and I’m sure everything is fine

It was in the heat of the moment and I’m sure everything is fine today.

I didn't see the rant, but if Boikova's rant got a little more extra afterwards, I have no doubt either that Moskvina woulda checked her @$$ real quick!!

RoseRed

I don't think Boikova's reaction is that big a deal. But it's not the first indication of tension. I remember that Kozlovskii made a comment at Rostelcom I think, in the heat of the moment, along the lines of "This [first] is our place". Which seemed to be a response to M/G beating them at the Cup of Russia event just before that. So it doesn't seem to me that the frustration Boikova expressed is brand new. Which does make it an interesting situation there. But I'm sure they'll all work it out.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Moskvina has lots of experience dealing with young skaters. I'm sure a quiet word will make preparations for next season just fine. She's the type of coach that just a look of disapproval would be enough. You just want to please her.

Bigbird

I don't get the impression Moskvina has favourites at all. But while I don't begrudge Sasha her emotional outburst in the moment, I do worry that B/K's resentment and envy will cause THEM to believe that Moskvina has favourites, and create rifts where none need to be there. I hope Moskvina can smooth it all over!
Hard to imagine that given the dud of a SP given tp them by Zhulin and they also did not have a new FP.

NAOTMAA

B/K were given the short end of the stick program wise BIG TIME this year.

A SP that drained out every drop of what made them special to start with. I understand what they were trying to do but it would have only worked if they had their coaches full attention instead of having to share. They’re still very young and need to be guided.

Stuck with recycling a free skate that wasn’t exactly anyone’s favorite. The main reason for their success last year wasn’t the program but the fact their superiors faltered.

M/G meanwhile were given two new programs that not only highlighted their strengths but also hid their flaws and made them look really good overall. Not to mention putting moves in their programs that B/K did first.

I don’t excuse Aleksandra’s comments but how else is she supposed to feel when your skate mates get two new programs that make them really shine (the music title of one was We are the Champions for god sake!) and you’re stuck with recycling a program and then forced to change the other last minute cause it isn’t good? I don’t blame them for feeling shafted

angi

B/K had two new programs in the beginning of the season, they got a new FS at the end of last season, right before the p*ndemic happened. At Russian test skates, they reused the Bond FS because of the lockdowns and planned to replace it with the new one once the season begins but then they got YNW and opted to reuse the Bond FS throughout the season.
I also disagree that the SP was bad, it was very classic and obviously designed to show off their elegance and lines in a similar way to what the nutcracker FS did.
B/K issues were mostly mental, I think they were really thrown off by having to face direct competition in the rink every day, and once an error on the throw flip was made it became a mental block for them that stayed with them the entire season. The judges were always ready to reward them, at times more than their performance deserved (at least for me) so it wasn't an issue of material as it was an issue of consistency and that one is completely on them - they let the pressure get to them more than once this season and especially in the FS here at Worlds but that wasn't Moskvina's fault.
The bright side is that it's a lesson they had to learn the hard way and it's better to learn it here than in the Olympic season, the only remaining question is if they will use it as a learning tool and mature instead of staying in their current mindset.

NAOTMAA

So they possibly had 4 programs this year? If one of the ladies or men (regardless of country although especially Russia) had rumored 4 programs in a season there would be cries of mismanagement and self sabotage

angi

So they possibly had 4 programs this year? If one of the ladies or men (regardless of country although especially Russia) had rumored 4 programs in a season there would be cries of mismanagement and self sabotage
Not really, they went back to their old FS very early, and let's be honest here, their "new" SP was their old one but with different music, even the transitions remained the same.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
with Trusova medaling, she is still in the hunt for that Olympic spot along with Shcherbakova (as long as her form does not further deteriorate)

Liza I think is the sacrificial lamb, her task was done
so shell be dumped again, Kamila and Aliona are there waiting.

Hopefully Usacheva, Kromykh - second tier girls wont get near on those spots

zoe111

B/K had two new programs in the beginning of the season, they got a new FS at the end of last season, right before the p*ndemic happened. At Russian test skates, they reused the Bond FS because of the lockdowns and planned to replace it with the new one once the season begins but then they got YNW and opted to reuse the Bond FS throughout the season.
I also disagree that the SP was bad, it was very classic and obviously designed to show off their elegance and lines in a similar way to what the nutcracker FS did.
B/K issues were mostly mental, I think they were really thrown off by having to face direct competition in the rink every day, and once an error on the throw flip was made it became a mental block for them that stayed with them the entire season. The judges were always ready to reward them, at times more than their performance deserved (at least for me) so it wasn't an issue of material as it was an issue of consistency and that one is completely on them - they let the pressure get to them more than once this season and especially in the FS here at Worlds but that wasn't Moskvina's fault.
The bright side is that it's a lesson they had to learn the hard way and it's better to learn it here than in the Olympic season, the only remaining question is if they will use it as a learning tool and mature instead of staying in their current mindset.
This. i much prefer M/G (by a lot) but even with a pretty dull SP, B/K ended up solidly ahead. Boikova shouldn't be blaming anyone but herself as it's the continuous mistakes here and there that have killed it for them.

topaz

I adore Trusova, she's my favorite Russian lady. She has to continue work this summer. She needs to work with Elena I, see a sports psych. and learn how to compete better. She's fearless but hopefully her team can train smarter in the future. I do believe Plushenko has made some "novice" coaching mistakes with her. But I feel he's the right coach for her.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I adore Trusova, she's my favorite Russian lady. She has to continue work this summer. She needs to work with Elena I, see a sports psych. and learn how to compete better. She's fearless but hopefully her team can train smarter in the future. I do believe Plushenko has made some "novice" coaching mistakes with her. But I feel he's the right coach for her.
Plushenko gives her too much freedom on jumps, had she fallen more than thrice, it was goodbye medal

soogar

I think Plushenko is a great coach for her. They have the same competitive fire and also similar weaknesses.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Elena is no longer at Plushenko's rink.

NAOTMAA

Trusova spent so much time in the practice on quads that when it came to compete in the short she ended up messing up badly. Her head was probably all messed up with nerves she got all mixed up and as a result over rotated the lutz.

I really think this competition was the result of bad training habits and not being practical. The quad obsession bit her in the butt in the worst way possible. Are they going to learn from this?

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Trusova spent so much time in the practice on quads that when it came to compete in the short she ended up messing up badly. Her head was probably all messed up with nerves she got all mixed up and as a result over rotated the lutz.

I really think this competition was the result of bad training habits and not being practical. The quad obsession bit her in the butt in the worst way possible. Are they going to learn from this?
No because she and her camp don't see another viable way for her to compete. And they may be right.

A lot of Russian coaches overemphasise jumps to the exclusion of other elements and skating skills. Plushenko was the posterboy for this philosophy as a skater and I doubt he's advocating a more balanced approach to training now as a coach. Trusova herself matches his competitive fire and quad maximalism exactly, so I assume they just amplify each other's lack of perspective in practice.

Plus, if they scale back her jump content and try to rebuild her into a well-rounded skater now it's all going to fall apart. That would be a multi-year project and neither Trusova nor the Russian federation has the patience for that. So they'll just ride the quad wave as far as it takes her and hope it results in an Olympic medal before her body gives out.

Last edited:

Scott512

I am still soooo happy for M/G!

But I wonder what will happen with B/K now. They were clearly pissed. I can see them leave Moskvina, but where would they go?
It's been an abbreviated season because of c-19.
Obviously it's been a very difficult emotional upsetting season for everyone because it wasn't a normal season. Did B&K get slowed by C 19 illnesses?

Maybe they thought of the team that won Gold those two youngsters as their understudies or something and then they went out and beat them

Sasha is very stubborn and even before today's free skate where she went from 12th to 3rd she plans no changes. Obviously her SP should be used as a solid program to stay within 5 to 10 points of the leaders and then rack up the points in the free skate like she does where she can take the gold medals that she's been losing for the last 2 years. I don't think this fantastic girl and her new coach I've learned their lessons but only time will tell. Alyona will come back fired up now. I'm sure she looked at this competition and thought if she gets back in good form she would beat all of them. I wonder what Kamilla is thinking too.

Congrats to Anna on her gold Liza on or silver and Sasha on her redemptive bronze medal.

At least we don't have to hear anyone say Anna hasnt won an International competition anymore. ;)

Last edited:

Scott512

I thought she was stepping away but would be available for a "consulting" option.
Maybe that's one of the reasons Alyona left PA because back early in the season she had Elena as a confidante and a big sister type figure. But Elena was nowhere to be found at the cup final when Alyona needed her. Pain these teenage girls need more people to talk to then plushy himself and one of the guy coaches. Maybe Yulia can step into that role she has gone through what these girls are going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information