Status
Not open for further replies.

patinage

sorry there I got too excited, lol :saint:
I didnt know Godeeva-Grinkov also won gold in their first Worlds appearance
Post WW2 pair skaters that won gold in their first Worlds appearance:

1986 - Ekaterina Gordeeva / Sergei Grinkov
1983 - Elena Valova / Oleg Vasiliev
1973 - Alexander Zaitsev (with Irina Rodnina)
1969 - Irina Rodnina / Alexei Ulanov
1951 - Ria Baran / Paul Falk
1947 - Micheline Lannoy / Pierre Baugniet

Olympic pairs champions all. (Yes, I'm a history of pair skating nerd.)

Bodes well for M&G's chances next year. (Skategods, you did not just see me type that.)

puglover

I love both M&G and B&K and also S&H. Any of them are worthy winners but, man, I still think T/M are my first pick. I adore this long program of theirs and I had hoped they had put their mistakes behind them and could skate free and win. If I feel so frustrated, I can only imagine how they feel.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I love both M&G and B&K and also S&H. Any of them are worthy winners but, man, I still think V&T are my first pick. I adore this long program of theirs and I had hoped they had put their mistakes behind them and could skate free and win. If I feel so frustrated, I can only imagine how they feel.
V/T?

Scott512

M&G interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFrZftV7QxI

She said she was so happy they won with Stepin's programs, that he is the best choreographer ever in her opinion. He passed away this year, RIP :(
Her English is so good I couldn't believe it.

Are they the youngest pair to ever win worlds or in the modern history of figure skating? I think G and G might have been a little younger.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't want to jinx her but Anna has been as consistent as Medvedeva when she won two world championships.

Now skategods, please forget what I just wrote.

Amy L

Her English is so good I couldn't believe it.

Are they the youngest pair to ever win worlds or in the modern history of figure skating? I think G and G might have been a little younger.

Mishina's English is definitely great, I think B&K are just about as good at English too. The best on the whole Russian team however I would say is Scherbakova. Not counting Tiff & Jon of course since they are native-born English speakers.

G&G were both teenagers during their 1st Worlds win (@aka_gerbil got to the answer before me)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I see that many young Russians speak good English. When I visited Russia, I heard that these days parents send their kids to the UK to learn English and in general the younger generation tries to learn it. I don't know how true that is, but at least the young Russian skaters seem to know English.

May be one of the Russians here can comment on that.

Last edited:

Scott512

G/G were very young—Katia was only 14 and Sergei 19.
Thanks.

Katia was only 14 when she won her first senior worlds pairs with Sergei. That is unbelievable.

And because of the age rules that will never be duplicated.

They were certainly one of the greatest pairs teams of all time.

Scott512

Mishina's English is definitely great, I think B&K are just about as good at English too. The best on the whole Russian team however I would say is Scherbakova. Not counting Tiff & Jon of course since they are native-born English speakers.

G&G were both teenagers during their 1st Worlds win (@aka_gerbil got to the answer before me)
Yes Anna's English is remarkable.

Is Mishina related to Mishin?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I read that this is the first world or Olympic gold for Moskvina since 2002. I hadn't realized it had been so long. She won a few Europeans with K/S and B/K but not worlds. I'm so glad it happened for her in this difficult year after the death of Moskvin.
Yeah - Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze were her last champions. Crazy to think it's been that long!

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I am still soooo happy for M/G!

But I wonder what will happen with B/K now. They were clearly pissed. I can see them leave Moskvina, but where would they go?
very disrespectful, they were probably caught off guard by Mishina / Galliamov catching up so fast. This rink rivalry environment is not working out very well for B/K. Maybe they can move to Zoueva after 2022, T/M will probably retire by then. They fit the classical pair Marina would love.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I see that many young Russians speak good English. When I visited Russia, I heard that these days parents send their kids to the UK to learn English and in general the younger generation tries to learn it. I don't know how true that is, but at least the young Russian skaters seem to know English.

May be one of the Russians here can comment on that.
those who can afford it. However most of the time it's not the case with the skaters.
Some do get to practice in the USA and those do speak English (Tarasova, Morozov, Kastalapov).
Scherbakova, Boikova, Kozlovski, Mishina (Medvedeva) - just kudos for their English. Tuktamysheva being a late bloomer is.one with English as well 😃 Not many start landing quads and attemp to learn a language in their 20s 😃

Scott512

I am still soooo happy for M/G!

But I wonder what will happen with B/K now. They were clearly pissed. I can see them leave Moskvina, but where would they go?
It's been an abbreviated season because of c-19.
Obviously it's been a very difficult emotional upsetting season for everyone because it wasn't a normal season. Did B&K get slowed by C 19 illnesses?

Maybe they thought of the team that won Gold those two youngsters as their understudies or something and then they went out and beat them. They can't be happy after a difficult season they did not deliver at Worlds and ended up with the bronze. So then being upset is understandable.

zebraswan

Yes, all the pair teams had at least one Covid case...Dima had it, I don't think Sasha did. Also these skaters have been cooped up in a fishbowl for a week, not allowed to go anywhere. It surely must affect them psychologically. People can't control their emotions 100% of the time. I don't think it's a big deal and I'm sure Moskvina understands.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Diva Boikova's full video reaction after their scores

To Moskvina: Congratulations, you have your world champion! (Sarcastically)

Last edited:

mjb52

I only find it bizarre because if they had skated clean they would most likely have won. What happened with Zhenya and Alina was different, that must have been deeply difficult for Zhenya to take, to do so well and come so close, but B & K made serious mistakes, so it's just sort of a strange comment to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information