Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin

Banned Member
I watched Framing Britney Spears on Hulu the other day. I thought it really did a good job showing the impact of sexism, especially slut shaming.

I watched it on the weekend too - there is no Hulu in Canada, but it was available on YouTube, at least for the moment. I agree, it was very well done on all of that. I also had no idea that Britney was still under a conservatorship. I would recommend watching it.

Alli84

Re: Wandavision, there is so much buzz I was considering watching it, but does it stand on its own? I know nothing about the larger context, and have no interest in learning, as I don't usually watch anything with superheroes...
(Last year's I Am Not Okay With This was an exception, I enjoyed that. But it wasn't a "traditional" superhero show.)

jadingirl

I do not like the superhero movies and I am really enjoying Wandavision. You do need some background for it who is Wanda who is Vision. I watched Avengers Endgame before mainly because of the hype so I knew some of their story.

I decided to watch Age of Ultron since I enjoy Wandavision so much but I fell asleep part way through. I really hate the long fight scenes in any movie anymore - I end up fast forwarding through them sometimes - like James Bond you pretty much know he's going to survive an action scene at the beginning of a movie so - fast forward!

clairecloutier

So far we've seen the first 4 episodes of Wandavision. It's okay? Fairly good? I'm not very interested in superheroes and only saw the first of the Avengers movies, so my husband has had to explain a lot of stuff. :)

After watching those episodes, we started into Better Things (a little late to this one) . What to say about this show?? It's funny/painful, kooky at times, pretty rude at times, really interesting. Love the subject matter--older mom dealing with three kids. I can relate. :lol: Great acting too.

Last edited:

jenny12

I love WandaVision (though I was a fan of the Marvel movies so I’m probably a bit biased). I think Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are great in it and they’ve done a creative job balancing the sitcom wackiness with the Marvel world. I also really enjoy the supporting cast.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Re: Wandavision, there is so much buzz I was considering watching it, but does it stand on its own? I know nothing about the larger context, and have no interest in learning, as I don't usually watch anything with superheroes...
(Last year's I Am Not Okay With This was an exception, I enjoyed that. But it wasn't a "traditional" superhero show.)
This is definitely not a superhero show. Wanda and Vision don't solve a crime or rescue anyone every week, for example. It's more of mystery and a sci-fi show.

I have seen all the MCU movies but forget a lot of the details. What you need to know is:

1) Vision died in one of them
2) In another, a bad guy snapped his fingers and half the population of the world disappeared.
3) In the last one, they were able to undo that and some of them came back. But they missed years of living so it's been weird. (They came back 3 or 5 years later, forget which)
4) Wanda is a witch - she used to be a bad guy but turned and joined the Avengers
5) Vision is an android or AI guy or something.

I think that's it.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I just watched the Britney Spears doc - it was fascinating and compelling. I knew she was still under conservatorship, and that she has wanted to be out from under it for a long time. It seems like a Twilight Zone episode to have someone with (apparently/maybe) their full or almost full mental faculties having to live under a conservatorship meant for people who can't make decisions for themselves. But as the lawyer she tried to hire said, we don't know what we don't know.

So many things that were considered public entertainment in the '90s and '00s are horrifying now. I used to watch The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, and I remember when he said he would not be making Britney Spears jokes, because clearly she needed help, not to be the butt of jokes. He used Anna Nicole Smith as an example of someone whose struggles had killed them, and still had to chide the audience not to laugh at the mention of her name.

I'm a little surprised that the doc didn't include 1) her 55-hour 1st wedding 2) the 2007 MTV Awards performance. I expected to see Chris Crocker's "Leave Britney Alone!" video mentioned, but can also see why they left it out (his Twitter is mostly about his OnlyFans account - NSFW). I also wish they'd been able to draw a better line between Jamie Spears being basically absent for most of her career and then just stepping into the conservatorship. Britney's parents divorced and then I think either got back together or maybe even remarried - where was Lynne in all this?

#FreeBritney

LeafOnTheWind

I am watching Tattoo Fixers Extreme UK on Hulu. It's just fun to see what messed up tattoos people get and also how creative the tattoo artist can be when they have to fix them.

First episode in I have to ask does everyone get a messed up tattoo on their ass?

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
I'm a little surprised that the doc didn't include 1) her 55-hour 1st wedding 2) the 2007 MTV Awards performance. I expected to see Chris Crocker's "Leave Britney Alone!" video mentioned, but can also see why they left it out (his Twitter is mostly about his OnlyFans account - NSFW). I also wish they'd been able to draw a better line between Jamie Spears being basically absent for most of her career and then just stepping into the conservatorship. Britney's parents divorced and then I think either got back together or maybe even remarried - where was Lynne in all this?

#FreeBritney

I've been reading a lot of stuff about Britney after watching the documentary and it does seem like the documentary really let Lynne off the hook. It sounds like there are plenty of issues with her too, although maybe she's the lesser of evils in this case.

sk9tingfan

Not one of the listed networks, but I'm watching the premiere episode of Clarice on CBS. Appropriately creepy and intense. Jury is still out since I think I'll have to watch a few before I commit.

vgerdes

I love WandaVision (though I was a fan of the Marvel movies so I’m probably a bit biased). I think Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are great in it and they’ve done a creative job balancing the sitcom wackiness with the Marvel world. I also really enjoy the supporting cast.
Yes to all of this. I don't want anyone to get the impression I'm not enjoying the show when I say it's weird. I don't mean it in a bad way. I'm embracing the weirdness. And the cast is awesome. I've always loved Darcy Lewis, and I'm glad they're finally letting her show her competence rather than just being Jane Foster's wacky sidekick.

genevieve

Staff member
I never watched The Equalizer back in the day, and was surprised that anyone thought it needed a reboot, but I am sorta here for Queen Latifah. Did anyone watch the premiere?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Shoot. FSU ate my post.

Anyway, yes I watched and I liked it. We'll add it to our DVR list. (Mr. Mac said it was 'okay')

I watched and liked the original too. I didn't realize there were movies until this came out. Latifah said she was thinking of Denzil when she signed up for this, but a review I read said that the showrunners are looking back to the tv series, not the movies for inspiration.

Jimena

I just finished the first two seasons of Marcella on Netflix. So good. I think this is my favorite of the Nordic noirs series I've seen. Anna Friel is amazing.

On to season 3!
Quoting myself to just say that season 3 of Marcella was a huge disappointment. I understand why they went there in terms of character development. But as a season it dragged so badly.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Started watching Lupin, but the obvious dubbing is irritating me. I think I would rather have had sub-titles.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Started watching Lupin, but the obvious dubbing is irritating me. I think I would rather have had sub-titles.
I had this happen to me watching an Italian movie. There is a way to change the language settings. Nothing worse than watching a dubbed film or tv show. :yikes:

Cachoo

Watching The Keepers on Netflix: Absolute evil, absolutely horrifying. If I could go back in time, knowing what this series reveals, I think I would be willing to rid the earth of a few monsters.

manhn

I just finished Monsoon, about a Vietnamese-British guy who returns to Vietnam after his parents have passed. Henry Golding as a gay man in shorts and tank tops in Vietnam? Swoon. The movie is also very thoughtfully made, if slow and maddeningly unresolved. But Henry Goldman is soooo handsome.

Erin

Banned Member

Yes, I have heard from people that the dubbing is terrible. It’s all the rage in my French classes, so I did French subtitles and now am rewatching with English subtitles to try to catch what I missed in the first go-around.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Mr. Mac and I just got down watching Judas and the Black Messiah. It was pretty good but a bit hard to follow as a lot of the lighting is dark. But I think it was well done.

Now I need to watch the movie about the Chicago 7 as they referenced that trial in this movie.

genevieve

Staff member
Is that just in Australia? When I watched the automatic setting was french with english subtitles.

I was looking for something non-taxing the other night and watched episode 1 of Firefly Lane. It was really, really, really bad :rofl:
#IzzyStevens

Erin

Banned Member
Is that just in Australia? When I watched the automatic setting was french with english subtitles.

It might depend on the platform you’re using to watch Netflix? I was watching using an app on my cable and the setting was French with English subtitles. But I switched to an old generation Apple TV and it was dubbed and I had to figure out how to get the subtitles back.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
It may be what Erin said. I'm watching on the app on my cable box but am going to try and re-set to sub-titles on my PC and then Chromecast to the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information