2020/2021 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

Lawrence Founier Beaudry, I can watch you all day. My favourite ice dancer next to Elena Ilinykh, Gabriella Papdakis and Tessa Virtue. She is that good. If only Sorensen wasn't such a head case.

puglover

Fortunately, most of us are not judges and so we just get to enjoy them all and be thrilled with their performances. I also think L/L are something very special. He, especially, seems so into the Rio performance and I am not sure too many male skaters could pull that off. My husband is not really a skating fan but he has had a lot of exposure to it through the rest of his family and he was very impressed with their free dance and thought they were great. He didn't yawn even once!

Colonel Green

I also think L/L are something very special. He, especially, seems so into the Rio performance and I am not sure too many male skaters could pull that off.
His on-ice presence was so reserved when they were in juniors, they seemed to work best as more of a classical music team, which describes most of their best programs in that period ("Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" and "The Warsaw Concerto", in particular).

So the shift in seniors almost feels like he's been given a complete personality transplant. I could sort of believe that the moody piano guy would love rocking out to Freddie Mercury, but I would never have guessed he wanted to flap his arms and pretend to be an exotic bird.

yurokis40

His on-ice presence was so reserved when they were in juniors, they seemed to work best as more of a classical music team, which describes most of their best programs in that period ("Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" and "The Warsaw Concerto", in particular).

So the shift in seniors almost feels like he's been given a complete personality transplant. I could sort of believe that the moody piano guy would love rocking out to Freddie Mercury, but I would never have guessed he wanted to flap his arms and pretend to be an exotic bird.
They are already showing amazing versatility at a very young age some are predicting a career a la virtue and moir its a very tall order but Canada is lucky they didn`t have to wait too long for a super talented team after V&M retired. If I were to predict the future barring injuries or setbacks the olympic podium in 2026 is the perfect arc they will be 25 and 26 right in their prime and maybe even younger.

chantilly

They are already showing amazing versatility at a very young age some are predicting a career a la virtue and moir its a very tall order but Canada is lucky they didn`t have to wait too long for a super talented team after V&M retired. If I were to predict the future barring injuries or setbacks the olympic podium in 2026 is the perfect arc they will be 25 and 26 right in their prime and maybe even younger.

Yeah, I’m not seeing it, to be honest.

This is a great program for them, for sure and the best they’ve had for me at least, so far.

But I don’t think they are as good as virtue and noir when v and m were years younger. Not even close.

I just find their connection to each other non existent.

I want to be excited by them, but I’m just not.

Their lifts are improving though.

But yeah, so far they leave me in the meh type of mood.

yurokis40

Yeah, I’m not seeing it, to be honest.

This is a great program for them, for sure and the best they’ve had for me at least, so far.

But I don’t think they are as good as virtue and noir when v and m were years younger. Not even close.

I just find their connection to each other non existent.

I want to be excited by them, but I’m just not.

Their lifts are improving though.

But yeah, so far they leave me in the meh type of mood.
Connection is not part of the pcs categories at the end of the day ice dance is a sport, and they have the technical skills to be successful.

chantilly

Agreed. And considering she studies acting it’s not a great thing that she’s not believable.

Zach’s improved a ton. He was too stoic before.

chantilly

Connection is not part of the pcs categories at the end of the day ice dance is a sport, and they have the technical skills to be successful.
I think it counts as expression, storytelling, you know executing and interpreting the choreography.

And it counts more then I think you give it credit for.

Part of this sport is artistry and part of the job as an artist is moving the audience through emotion and connection to their dance partner to the music and story etc.

To me they skate as two individuals and not as one partnership. And I think it’s problematic.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
You’re in no position to lecture others about what is and isn’t in the rules. You are 100% wrong.

yurokis40

I think it counts as expression, storytelling, you know executing and interpreting the choreography.

And it counts more then I think you give it credit for.

Part of this sport is artistry and part of the job as an artist is moving the audience through emotion and connection to their dance partner to the music and story etc.

To me they skate as two individuals and not as one partnership. And I think it’s problematic.
They
You’re in no position to lecture others about what is and isn’t in the rules. You are 100% wrong.
They were gaining serious momentum at the end of last year before worlds was cancelled they even beat hawayek and baker at 4cc and got a fd score a lot higher than all those new junior turned senior teams lke carreira and ponomarenko and the russians, Davis and White never had much of a connection and were very successful what the judges care about the most is the skating and these 2 can skate very few people predicted their world junior title in 2019 they ended up being quite easily all the top junior russian teams.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
@yurokis40 You don’t even know the rules that you’re incorrectly using to bolster your argument. For future reference, the square peg doesn’t go in the round hole.

yurokis40

• Skating skills: This mark assesses the skater's command of the blade over the ice, including the ability to skate with power and ease, forwards and backwards, clockwise and counter-clockwise. How acute is the skater's blade to the ice? How clean and clear are the curves over the ice (known as edge quality)? Skating skills are considered to be excellent if the skater moves quickly and easily, and flows over the ice with soft knees and ankles; but they are judged to be poor if the skating is scratchy and noisy, with the skater pushing from their toes rather than from the sides of the blades.
  • Transitions: This mark evaluates all of the "in between" skating when technical elements are not being performed, i.e. whether the skater is merely skating in circles, or incorporating different turns and steps, perhaps also using their arms. A program with good transitions manages to "thread" all the elements together, making the skater's program seem effortless. Poor transitions are sometimes non-existent or merely places between the technical elements with a precise "stopping" point where the skater begins to prepare for the next element.
  • Performance: This is where the scores start to become slightly more abstract and largely based on the judges' individual opinions. Is the skater physically, emotionally, and mentally involved in their program? Does the skater project to the entire audience and arena? Does the skater have presence on the ice with good carriage? Do they project their own personality while skating?
  • Composition: This mark is concerned with the pattern and spacing over the ice, i.e. how the technical elements are placed throughout the ice surface. Does the skater always skate in the same part of the ice or are they making use of the entire area given to them? Is there a purpose to the way the program is constructed? Maybe their performance is designed to convey an abstract idea like rain or snow; or it might be about a particular story, e.g. when performing to a movie soundtrack or ballet. Does the movement in the program match the phrasing of the music? Perhaps there is meant to be a traditional musical "call and answer" or something more abstract.
  • Interpretation: This score reflects how well the judges feel that the skater is performing with their "soul" (whereas the Composition score is more about the choreography). Does the skater move in time to the music, or are all the movements just off by a beat or two? Does the skater reflect every little trill and ding with a corresponding skating move?[7]

Show me where you find the word connection.​

@yurokis40 You don’t even know the rules that you’re incorrectly using to bolster your argument. For future reference, the square peg doesn’t go in the round

yurokis40

• Skating skills: This mark assesses the skater's command of the blade over the ice, including the ability to skate with power and ease, forwards and backwards, clockwise and counter-clockwise. How acute is the skater's blade to the ice? How clean and clear are the curves over the ice (known as edge quality)? Skating skills are considered to be excellent if the skater moves quickly and easily, and flows over the ice with soft knees and ankles; but they are judged to be poor if the skating is scratchy and noisy, with the skater pushing from their toes rather than from the sides of the blades.
  • Transitions: This mark evaluates all of the "in between" skating when technical elements are not being performed, i.e. whether the skater is merely skating in circles, or incorporating different turns and steps, perhaps also using their arms. A program with good transitions manages to "thread" all the elements together, making the skater's program seem effortless. Poor transitions are sometimes non-existent or merely places between the technical elements with a precise "stopping" point where the skater begins to prepare for the next element.
  • Performance: This is where the scores start to become slightly more abstract and largely based on the judges' individual opinions. Is the skater physically, emotionally, and mentally involved in their program? Does the skater project to the entire audience and arena? Does the skater have presence on the ice with good carriage? Do they project their own personality while skating?
  • Composition: This mark is concerned with the pattern and spacing over the ice, i.e. how the technical elements are placed throughout the ice surface. Does the skater always skate in the same part of the ice or are they making use of the entire area given to them? Is there a purpose to the way the program is constructed? Maybe their performance is designed to convey an abstract idea like rain or snow; or it might be about a particular story, e.g. when performing to a movie soundtrack or ballet. Does the movement in the program match the phrasing of the music? Perhaps there is meant to be a traditional musical "call and answer" or something more abstract.
  • Interpretation: This score reflects how well the judges feel that the skater is performing with their "soul" (whereas the Composition score is more about the choreography). Does the skater move in time to the music, or are all the movements just off by a beat or two? Does the skater reflect every little trill and ding with a corresponding skating move?[7]

Show me where you find the word connection.​

The skating skills and transitions categories the more technical than the other 3 are more weighted in the scoring.

yurokis40

Yikes, @yurokis40 you might want to look at the PCS that isn't just for singles skaters.
Regardless the skating skills and transition score more and are considered more important, connection between partners is very subjective and ice dance is not like pair skating.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Regardless the skating skills and transition score more and are considered more important, connection between partners is very subjective and ice dance is not like pair skating.
So you have it wrong and you're instead just saying 'regardless' as a way to talk yourself out of it.

Here's a cheat sheet so you can correct yourself.

Also A) you copied from Wikipedia, B) that link says it's to some file from 2016, published by USFS and is no longer online.

Colonel Green

For reference, under interpretation:
Relationship between the skaters and reflecting the character and rhythm of the music (Pairs, Ice Dance)

The performance category also encompasses unison and spatial awareness, but that's more a technical matter and things they've always been good at.

Now, as far as how L/L do in terms of on-ice relationship, I think it's a point of agreement that they are not a team that (at least thus far) is notable for romantic-type chemistry of the sort that's very popular in ice dance. I would say they are developing more of a friend chemistry than used to be in evidence.

chantilly

For reference, under interpretation:

The performance category also encompasses unison and spatial awareness, but that's more a technical matter and things they've always been good at.

Now, as far as how L/L do in terms of on-ice relationship, I think it's a point of agreement that they are not a team that (at least thus far) is notable for romantic-type chemistry of the sort that's very popular in ice dance. I would say they are developing more of a friend chemistry than used to be in evidence.

I think you may be right, but if not think that should be their path which IMO is also a legitimate and successful approach.

I don’t get a romantic connection with P and C but they sure have a connection to each other and definitely the music.

I’d also argue that’s the case with Piper and Paul. And obviously the Shibs.

I just think they need to work on their connection to each other as humans and dance partners more then they do thus far,

I think they are very skilled skaters, but it’s not enough and never has been.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Do you have any idea which ice dance teams have been monitored Re: Worlds?
Carolane Soucisse reported last Thursday via Instagram Stories that she and Shane had just finished their monitoring. Because G/P, F-B/S, and L/L competed at Challenge, I don't know whether they would have to do similar sessions or not.

puglover

Weren't F/BS a bit rough in the free dance at challenge? I am possibly remembering that wrong.

barbarafan

Carolane Soucisse reported last Thursday via Instagram Stories that she and Shane had just finished their monitoring. Because G/P, F-B/S, and L/L competed at Challenge, I don't know whether they would have to do similar sessions or not.
Not sure who was monitored but subs listed as:
F/A
S/W
S/F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information