NBC to show 2 hour commemorative of American skating Sunday afternoon at 2 PM EST

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
They think people don't give a **** about the past and those skaters that's why. It's gone, dead and buried.

Plus NBC think people are stupid. They think a young person watching will go all "Dorothy who? Kristi who?" It's all about being current. They think young people are watching this, not just the diehards :rolleyes:
Yes, they called us the baby boomers and there's still a lot of us left. I guess we're old fogies now.

NAOTMAA

You really think skating fans are only made up of young people? #delusional
I certainly don't think that.

But NBC want to cater to young people and they think young people only care about what's current. They don't care about older fans (who in reality makes up the majority of viewership)

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
So which Nathan will they end with?

2017 and is not even his best, yet Tara & Johnny said it was VERY DIFFICULT to chose one but it's like they went with the one they most praise him and talk all over during the program saying quad quad quad quad

Barbara Manatee

I think they aren't so much trying to cater to young people as to people they want to tune in to Nationals this year. They don't want viewers to think the era of greatness is over but that our best skaters are still competing, so come watch. (Except in dance, apparently.)

VGThuy

That’s truly sad for Bradie. I take solace in the fact that Bradie will probably not care that much and let her skating do the talking.

Anyway, catering to young people is just a television thing. It’s also outdated when 18-40 or whatever had the most consumer power and spent that money. The people with the most consumer power aren’t that age group anymore though they are more likely to be loose with their money. But any program that has that age demo will be safe from cancellation and has the ideal viewership. That’s why even though CBS has had the highest ratings for their shows, it gets undermined somewhat in that they don’t have the demos that are the most sought after.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I will be so disappointed if Russia doesn't schedule their NotEuro's internal comp the same days as US Nationals. That has always been the week that separates the professionals from the amateur skating fans viewing. Scheduling naps, figuring out time zones. Giving up sleep for a week. Good times.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I wish there was a part 2 or something since they called it the 100 year anniversary special. I'd like to see some skating from the earlier years! Heck, do it right! Honey hush! :lol:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I will never get why they picked Starr over Bradie
I’m a progressive in good standing and will say that this year especially, representation is important.

I also think Bradie doesn’t have anywhere near the name recognition Ashley or Gracie had in their heyday despite her successes. She’s not a charismatic skater.

NAOTMAA

Only in the US would they show Star Andrews and not Bradie Tennell :rolleyes:

It's all about supposed marketing and not actual quality/results. News to NBC/USFSA skating won't regain any popularity in the US again with this attitude

VGThuy

I think what helped Starr was that routine actually went viral and had views in the millions on YouTube plus that video where she was young to that Willow Smith song. Bradie never had those numbers. In fact, Bradie was kind of hated among the fans in 2018 when everyone was all about Wagner and people accused the USFS for prematurely anointing her that season. My how things change. I’m not going to jump on the blame the black girl train though because they could have cut a bunch of other skaters too. At least Starr had some recognition. Anyway, this thread is becoming uncomfortable to say the least.

jlai

Question everything
I think what helped Starr was that routine actually went viral and had views in the millions on YouTube plus that video where she was young to that Willow Smith song. Bradie never had those numbers. In fact, Bradie was kind of hated among the fans in 2018 when everyone was all about Wagner and people accused the USFS for prematurely anointing her that season. My how things change. I’m not going to jump on the blame the black girl train though because they could have cut a bunch of other skaters too. At least Starr had some recognition. Anyway, this thread is becoming uncomfortable to say the least.
Also, Bradie was third last year, so that is likely the excuse. (They didn't show Tomoki either)

NAOTMAA

If they wanted to highlight minorities why not Ting? Or do Asians not count? She's a world Junior Bronze medalist. They could have found a performance of hers to show but this was a long nationals ad so no go.

Starr has zero results and she has no chance at nationals. They need to stop pushing her until she actually does something on ice. Sorry for sounding mean but I hate how they constantly push her when she hasn't earned it. Other skaters have done better and deserve attention too

livetoskate

I'm so thrilled that there's skating on TV! Even if it's stuff from years ago. Will US Nationals be on TV too? I haven't been keeping up with the tv schedules.
Responding to myself: it looks like nationals will be shown starting on Jan 14th with pairs short. Time to shell out the dough for a Peacock subscription!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The people complaining in the thread are people highly invested in skating to begin with and we all know we can spend 2 seconds finding all of this on YouTube. It’s not the end of the world who they show. 20 years ago- yes. I’d be annoyed if all of the stuff I had on VHS from the previous 3 seasons was just re-aired with no older stuff shown.

NBC is always trying to get new viewers via a method that not many people in their target range are even bothering to use anymore, and of course they want to choose the most relatable/viral programs. But come on. The method is old school and probably not effective in the least.

VGThuy

They showed four Asians: Nathan, Alyssa Liu, and the Shibutanis. But comparing Asian-American participation with black participation is already a foolhardy comparison. As for Ting, talk about random. Her inclusion would be even more questionable than Starr. If they were to include Ting who has been missing in action forever and nobody is sure what her status is right now because she won a world junior medal, then they should have chacked her and Start for Vincent Zhou’s 2017 Nationals performance where he won silver and went on to win Junior Worlds. Why not cut Weir and show one of Abbott’s four US titles? So on and so forth. Cain/LeDuc’s inclusion? I think we’re overly harping on Starr when there are so many arguments for inclusion to make in a tv special that doesn’t really matter because it’s now become some bigger political point.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Well if they think Starr Andrews is going to bring viewers they are only kidding themselves. Her video went viral years ago due to a tacky gimmick and that's it. If NBC wasn't pushing her every year she would have been forgotten. In fact the general audience probably already did since she never stood on any podium or come close.

Contrary to popular belief the American public do like winners and those who compete with the best. Not showing Bradie is beyond ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information