Dancing with the Stars, Season 29

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
This is not a Dancing with the Stars Dancing Contest.
It is a Dancing with the Stars Popularity Contest.
Has nothing to do with best dancing ability. Fraudulent.

You could tell--even the good judge, Derek, interrupted his assessment of the next opponent
and apologized for Johnny going off.

Tyra is tragic as a hostess. The whole show is a mess.

Never going to watch again.
Are you new to this show? It's always been a popularity contest. But I loved Derek's remarks about Johnny. I hope it mitigated the sting a little for him. Johnny, I still love you.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Are you new to this show? It's always been a popularity contest.
And when their favorites go, people scream they will never watch again. :drama: Same people every season. :lol:

I really want Justine to win even though Nev is a better dancer technically. But Justine's dancing is also excellent and she has more heart. Maybe I will vote next week even though I won't be able to see the performances until after voting closes.

vgerdes

I really want Justine to win even though Nev is a better dancer technically. But Justine's dancing is also excellent and she has more heart. Maybe I will vote next week even though I won't be able to see the performances until after voting closes.
I really like Nev (I kind of have a thing for goofy, nerdy guys), and he's also the best dancer of the lot, so I'm rooting for him now that Johnny's out. If not Nev, then definitely Justina though. She is a lot of fun, although I enjoyed her earlier performances more. I actually kind of like Nelly, but he is a pretty horrible dancer. No grace or finesse. I view Kaitlyn as completely forgettable (don't hate her, just not excited by her performances at all), so I find her continued presence in this competition pretty much a mystery.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I am kind of uninterested in this season. I think partly it's Tyra & partly the uneven judging. For example I don't understand how Nelly & Skai got perfect scores for their missteps. It took me about 15-20 mins last night to watch the 2 hour show. I almost skipped to end of my tape to see who was eliminated but I wanted to see Johnny's dances. I ended up watching part of Nev's & Justine's too. If I stay with the show to the end it will be only for Nev & Justine & even then I'll watch like I did last night - major FF'g.

Sylvia

TBD
Seeing some harshness directed at @Nelly_Mo & wanted to say something. He was the only star to stop by my trailer after the results to tell me he was proud of me & that I deserved better. He’s a good man & works his ass off. I’m so happy for him. Be kind everyone. @DancingABC
I've updated Johnny's DWTS thread in TV Alerts with video/article links: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ing-with-the-stars.107577/page-3#post-5900623

BaileyCatts

And the producers think he's a big ratings draw so they want him around until the end.

He is? Cause I truly had never heard of him before DWTS. But I guess non skating fans would same the same thing about the skaters, so there's that. :lol: But yeah it must be cause how the hell he even made it this far. Did he even wear dance shoes at all the whole season? I only remember him wearing sneakers every time.

ETA: oh well, quoted while I was editing. oops. :D

screech

Nelly's jive was WAY better than I thought it would be. However, if someone with the skill level of Johnny had performed it exactly as Nelly did, they would have received maybe 8s.

Sad, but not surprised to see Johnny gone. I'm good with Skai being gone too. I like Justina, but I feel like she's regressed a bit over the last couple of dances. I think Nev should win, if things go fairly.

Happy that Artem FINALLY makes it to the finale! I believe it's only Sasha's 2nd time in the finale (he made it with Tonya, where IIRC they had the best freestyle of the night). Jenna's 2nd time in the finale too (she won with Adam). Jenna has really grown on me the last few seasons. She used to mug for the camera so much, but she's mellowed out a bit and has become a likeable pro to me. And congrats to Daniella for making the finale on her first season as a pro. When's the last time that happened?

Well, all I can say is that even if Nelly ends up winning the whole thing, at least he's a better dancer than Bobby Bones (though at least Bobby looked happy to be there). And also based on what Johnny tweeted about Nelly, that makes me like him more too.

vgerdes

Well, all I can say is that even if Nelly ends up winning the whole thing, at least he's a better dancer than Bobby Bones (though at least Bobby looked happy to be there). And also based on what Johnny tweeted about Nelly, that makes me like him more too.
Nelly strikes me as being a genuinely nice guy, and he appears to be trying hard to do better. Moving that way just doesn't come naturally to him. I won't hate on him if he wins. I'm just hoping it's Nev. :)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I remember the judges commenting on Johnny's style of heels he was wearing. Don't remember about Nelly.
Oh, you could be right. I just remember he actually was up on his toes in one of the dances and I conflated with those shoes!

The shoes he wears are made to look like sneakers but sometimes they have a noticeable (if small) heel so I assume they are some sort of dance shoe.

bardtoob

Johnny was/is the superior dancer. Everything he did looked like it was of high quality. I didn't like some of his costumes. Then again, when hasn't that been so 😂

Yuri

DWTS really has gone downhill from a ballroom dancing contest to a pure popularity contest, with a horrible new host replacing the soothing Tom Bergeron and his various co-hosts, now that the judges seem to be punting in later rounds with nothing but 9's and 10's to leave the votes up to the audience. Sorely missing Len Goodman as the Chief Judge who would always give very honest, but always constructive criticism, and his leadership tended to keep Bruno and Carrie Ann inline with their marks and comments.

Johnny was surprisingly uneven in his performances, especially for a figure skater. At times, he was amazing and deserved his 10s. At other times, he seemed quite awkward to me and perhaps would have benefited from a more experienced partner. While I didn't get a chance to watch everyone's dance every week, I still think Johnny was good enough to make the final four next week, but clearly he didn't have the following with the general public like so many other athletes--especially Olympic skaters.

vgerdes

Johnny was surprisingly uneven in his performances, especially for a figure skater. At times, he was amazing and deserved his 10s. At other times, he seemed quite awkward to me and perhaps would have benefited from a more experienced partner. While I didn't get a chance to watch everyone's dance every week, I still think Johnny was good enough to make the final four next week, but clearly he didn't have the following with the general public like so many other athletes--especially Olympic skaters.
I was also surprised by the difficulty Johnny seemed to have at first. Kristi, Evan, Meryl, Adam, Mirai, even Tonya ... they all seemed to take to dancing like a duck to water. Johnny looked quite uncomfortable on the dance floor at times, with stiff, awkward movements. He improved considerably, but it was still pretty obvious that it didn't come as naturally to him as it has to other skaters. Maybe it was Brit's lack of experience with the DWTS format (i.e., playing to the strengths of your partner), or maybe it was just more of a struggle for him. Either way, it was unexpected. I enjoyed watching him improve though. By the end of his run I thought he was one of the two best dancers in the competition, along with Nev.

Sylvia

TBD
ET has learned that Jeannie Mai will be in attendance, following her abrupt exit from the show earlier this month due to a health concern that resulted in emergency throat surgery.
Also returning are Chrishell Stause, Jesse Metcalfe, Monica Aldama, Vernon Davis, Anne Heche, Charles Oakley, Skai Jackson, AJ McLean and Johnny Weir.
Noticeably absent from the lineup is Carole Baskin. ET has learned that the Tiger King star, who is currently back to work with her Big Cats Rescue animal sanctuary in Florida, will not be traveling due to C0VID-19 restrictions.

Here are the finale routines:
Kaitlyn Bristowe and Artem Chigvintsev: Argentine tango (“Toxic” by Britney Spears) and freestyle (“Sparkling Diamonds” from “Moulin Rouge”)
Justina Machado and Sasha Farber: cha-cha (“Respect” by Aretha Franklin) and freestyle dance (“Let’s Get Loud” by Jennifer Lopez and “Bamboleo” by Gipsy Kings)
Nelly and Daniella Karagach: samba (“Rhythm of the Night” by DeBarge) and freestyle (“Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion and “Hypnotize” by The Notorious B.I.G.)
Nev Schulman and Jenna Johnson: paso doble (“Black Swan Swan Lake” by District 78) and freestyle (“Singin’ in the Rain” by District 78)
And before we crown a new champ, Derek Hough will perform a solo routine to FINNEAS‘ “Let’s Fall in Love for the Night.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information