2020-21 ISU Grand Prix selections announced

Tinami Amori

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thanks for the heads up - I've posted the info in the Italian skating news thread (since this thread is specifically about the ISU GP series assignments): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ating-news-updates.104247/page-4#post-5873137

Today (October 7) was the deadline for the federations to confirm the participation of their selected skaters, according to the General Announcement: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-grand-prix-general-announcement-2020-21/file

"3.1 Confirmation of Participation of Invited Skaters/Couples The ISU Members must confirm the participation of the invited Skaters to the ISU Secretariat by October 7, 2020."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Oct. 9th updates in all disciplines: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/events/grand-prix-of-figure-skating

Added to Rostelecom Cup: Anastasiya GALUSTYAN ARM, Alexander LEBEDEV BLR, Iuliia ARTEMEVA / Mikhail NAZARYCHEV RUS (pairs)
Kseniia AKHANTEVA / Valerii KOLESOV RUS have replaced Vernikov/Krasnopolski ISR

Skate America:
Both Chock/Bates and Shilling/Petrov's names are crossed out :( & Emily MONAGHAN / Ilias FOURATI HUN added
Joseph KANG USA has replaced Michal Brezina CZE
As expected, Tarasova/Morozov's names have been crossed out (no replacement yet)

J

Jeschke

RUS pairs field is really :watch:
A shame T/M are out.
With all the (former) juniors, this will be interesting.

MsZem

I see the sea
As I said, Bychenko is forever. And Brezina too, I see.
Oct. 9th updates in all disciplines: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/events/grand-prix-of-figure-skating
Skate America:
Both Chock/Bates and Shilling/Petrov's names are crossed out :( & Emily MONAGHAN / Ilias FOURATI HUN added
Joseph KANG USA has replaced Michal Brezina CZE
As expected, Tarasova/Morozov's names have been crossed out (no replacement yet)
I guess only Bychenko is forever.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Looks like Min/Eaton are out of SA (they were originally listed in the slot filled by Monaghan/Fourati).

Sylvia

TBD
Looks like Min/Eaton are out of SA (they were originally listed in the slot filled by Monaghan/Fourati).
Just to clarify - Min/Eaton were never listed for Skate America on the ISU's Ice Dance grid, only mentioned in USFS' Oct. 1st press release: https://www.usfigureskating.org/new...ix-figure-skating-series-selections-announced

Chock/Bates' statement in USFS' press release today:
“After much consideration, we have decided to withdraw from Skate America,” Chock and Bates said. “Our training and preparation have been affected by the p*ndemic and at this time we are 100% focused on our preparation for the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships. We will be staying at our training base in Montreal, but will certainly miss the thrill of competition and seeing our U.S. Figure Skating family. We wish everyone good health and good luck!”

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I am really encouraged by Paige Rydberg (who just lost out on the 4th spot to Nationals to Lindsay T. by less than a point, but she will have another chance later this season) and Joseph Kang being named as a result of their ISP scores. I think this holding a virtual ISP would be a good way to determine assignments every season, provided they are adding the most competitive skaters to to the ISP based on strong showings in other competitions. By and large, they've done a great job and I can't complain much. I do think Finley Hawk could have been added sooner to give her more of a chance to compete in the ISP comps, as scoring over 110 in a FS is no easy feat. It will be interesting to see where some of the higher scorers in ISP (Pooja, Paige) will finish vs. the skaters who were assigned based on being in top 75 SB last season (Wang, Inthisone) Its a little depressing that the GP won't count for SB scores because there may not be that many chances later for these skaters, and we will probably end up using the 19-20 scores again next season, which sort of negates the progress skaters have made this season. Who knows where the world will be by May/June 2021 anyway...but at least some element of current ability was used to make assignments, which could revamp how things are done in the future...

Bellanca

ETA: of course, as is the case every season, how many will withdraw before we get there?

* The Russian ladies' discipline (Rostelecom Cup) has a fairly deep roster. Bound to be the (marquee) survival of the fittest, mind over matter event.
:watch:

Last edited:

Dobre

I think this holding a virtual ISP would be a good way to determine assignments every season, provided they are adding the most competitive skaters to to the ISP based on strong showings in other competitions.

I do not. I very much appreciate the virtual qualification system this year. But how judges can actually tell whether the dancers are on time during the pattern, with music often echoing in the rink, is beyond me. And comparing speed is hard enough when athletes are live & in the same rink. (Not to mention some imperfect camera footage that cuts out the skates during elements or is so far away it is hard to tell if the athlete has any expression whatsoever). This is lovely to have for now, though; especially as it seems unlikely there will be as many new teams as during a regular season.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I truly think these competitions are dumb and a waste of time and money. In the end they will be Meaningless as to rankings.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Except skaters want to compete however they can, they want to be on the ice.

and fans will enjoy watching them skate.

Totally agree, they have given a structure to an otherwise waste of space season.
(Tiff for one is training hard to be ready for the Russian cup competition no. 3)

It is very good for keeping up the skaters' fitness and morale.

The familiarity of preparing for a competition gives the skaters some sense of normality and structure in an otherwise craze C19 world.

Sylvia

TBD
Finley Hawk and Sierra Venetta replace Isabelle Inthisone and Kate Wang at Skate America. Landry Le May replaces Philip Warren at the French event.
Ladies grid was updated today (Oct. 12): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...es-33/entries-5/25027-ladies-assignments/file

ETA:

Venetta was 7th in Senior Ladies at 2020 U.S. Nationals and placed 5th in her international debut at 2020 Challenge Cup in The Hague.
Hawk was 7th in Junior Ladies at Midwestern Sectional Singles Final in November 2019 but has skated & scored well at the Senior level in club competitions this summer, which likely got her into the ISP.

Men's grid was updated today (Oct. 12): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...files-33/entries-5/25026-men-assignments/file
This will be Le May's first GP: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00015251.htm
He placed 2nd (220.48 total) to Aymoz at the French Masters earlier this month.

Last edited:

3T3T

I’m a bit disappointed with the Rostelecom selections. I’m glad to see the ladies from the other countries selected but Russia has enough of its own ladies to fill the 12 spaces. There is one TBA spot up for grabs now between Gubanova, Sinitsina, Kostantinova, Sakhanovich, Nugumanova and Leonova.

On the Pairs side I’m disappointed that K/B, who are on the senior reserve team, didn’t get selected. I don’t object to seeing A/K & A/N selected but I thought the seniors should get called up. I wonder has Krasnopolski split with Vernikov, is that why he scratched?

Sylvia

TBD
On the Pairs side I’m disappointed that K/B, who are on the senior reserve team, didn’t get selected. I don’t object to seeing A/K & A/N selected but I thought the seniors should get called up. I wonder has Krasnopolski split with Vernikov, is that why he scratched?
K/B = Yasmina Kadyrova/Ivan Balchenko (for those who don't know ;)).
Kseniia AKHANTEVA / Valerii KOLESOV was #1 9 [had to add a space to avoid the **] and Iuliia ARTEMEVA / Mikhail NAZARYCHEV #25 on the 2019-20 ISU SB list.

Vernikov/Krasnopolski train in New Jersey. They competed a SP last month at the Boston Open club competition.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
There is one TBA spot up for grabs now between Gubanova, Sinitsina, Kostantinova, Sakhanovich, Nugumanova and Leonova.

Well Leonova is retired, sakhanovich maybe too? Nugumanova broke her leg recently. Sinitsina has been missing, injured or something. So I think its between konst, shulskaya, and maybe gubanova.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Gubanova is skating at the Panin Memorial (I think), Stasia snd Shulskaya were at the recent Russian cup, so maybe a choice will be made after Nastia skates. #hopedieslast #justiceforGubanova

mjb52

Is this Krasnopolski's SECOND year with Vernikov? Maybe it's too hard for them to get to Russia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information