Medvedeva leaves Orser for Tutberidze

Skibean

The Canadian border is still closed. This is odd news though. I thought she was happy with Orser and Tracy? But going coachless is not a good option either. Why not Plushenko?

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think Buyanova only provided ice not coaching services. Plushenko is crowded so is Mishin and Rukavitsyn. Tutberidze had 2 open spots though 🤣
There are plenty of 13 year olds to fill those spots. :lol: There's Panova or even Tsareva, albeit I think she's focused on juniors now, but that would have been an interesting pairing.

starrynight

Given the social network wars and sniping that goes on with the Sambo 70 coaches, this could just be a power flex too.

It's a pretty decent statement that Sambo 70 holds all the aces.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The Canadian border is still closed. This is odd news though. I thought she was bossy with Orser and Tracy? But going coachless is not a good option either. Why not Plushenko?
I am so confused. Just read that she has learned about how she has to train.....with the rest time being as important as the training time? Is it April?

DobrinFan

There are plenty of 13 year olds to fill those spots. :lol: There's Panova or even Tsareva, albeit I think she's focused on juniors now, but that would have been an interesting pairing.

And yet she decided to fill one spot with Evgenia 🤣

If Evgenia is used to the conditions of Sambo70, TCC, and CSKA, Panova would not suit her.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And yet she decided to fill one spot with Evgenia 🤣

If Evgenia is used to the conditions of Sambo70, TCC, and CSKA, Panova would not suit her.
I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting.

Alas, Panova would have been entertaining and her skaters get excellent choreo.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
April Fool’s Day??? :yikes:

Well, at least she now can STAY in Russia and now stands a chance, politically. 🇷🇺 Eteri & company will work her b*** off. Evgenia must be serious about wanting a real chance at making the Olympic team. The overseas vacation is over. I think that it’s a great decision, now that I’ve recovered from the initial shock.

Last edited:

starrynight

That shouldn’t be a problem in this case. Evgenia technically continued to represent Sambo-70 school after coaching change and is still a Sambo-70 athlete

lol It was more of a comment on the potential hypocrisy of how a lot of commentators/fed officials were making out about how wicked it was of Plushenko and Kostornaya to trick poor Tutberidze and Daniil into preparing Kostornaya for the season only for her to leave.

Colonel Green

Well, never a dull moment in Russian ladies skating.

After the test skates Medvedeva clearly needed some kind of change to her training circumstances, because being half a world away from her coaches was (predictably) not working.

I confess though that other than politically I don’t get this choice; Sambo-70 is not known for managing adult female skaters. But we’ll see how it goes.

DobrinFan

Per Laishev:

“The first training session took place, these are the first steps, and they must be careful, careful, - said Laishev. - We believe in good, we believe that this cooperation can fully recover. The main thing for us is a workshop filled with strong athletes, so that new talented athletes come there. And those who left are not barred from going back."

🤣🤣🤣

starrynight

I confess though that other than politically I don’t get this choice; Sambo-70 is not known for managing adult female skaters. But we’ll see how it goes.

Of course, Medvedeva is only 20, but that's old by Sambo 70 standards.

Medvedeva is very headstrong and has become quite independent. She's very results focused though.

I expect that Sambo 70 will need to take the bother to train her in a way that Medvedeva sees as a path to winning.

Probably the old mind games of swearing, chasing, yelling, chastising etc that work well on little children will not be as effective with an older, wiser skater who has had experience of the outside world.

Sure, some athletes like the motivation of being beaten around a little. But I think gone are the days of a crying Medvedeva clutching onto Eteri looking for some scrap of approval from the icy matriarch. (Or unless there's some deep rooted emotional issues still there).

This is really quite an interesting experiment. It'll take time. Sometimes when people get back together, they consciously try to alter things for a while, but then the old reality comes creeping back in again.

starrynight

I just saw it pointed out that Tutberidze may have signed up Evgenia to a similar contract that she has with Zagitova - i.e Tutberidze gets a big cut of Medvedeva's earnings.

Medvedeva is still a really lucrative skater - there will again be shows in Japan, Sailor Moon etc. And if the 'rona impacts persist, who knows, there may not be a guarantee that the young skaters like Shcherbakova and Valieva will get the prize money and fame that makes them valuable. Whereas Medvedeva is an established star and has proven earning potential.

Although, I do question if Medvedeva would have agreed to that same 40% cut that Zagitova apparently has to give Tutberidze.

DobrinFan

I just saw it pointed out that Tutberidze may have signed up Evgenia to a similar contract that she has with Zagitova - i.e Tutberidze gets a big cut of Medvedeva's earnings.

Medvedeva is still a really lucrative skater - there will again be shows in Japan, Sailor Moon etc. And if the 'rona impacts persist, who knows, there may not be a guarantee that the young skaters like Shcherbakova and Valieva will get the prize money and fame that makes them valuable. Whereas Medvedeva is an established star and has proven earning potential.

Although, I do question if Medvedeva would have agreed to that same 40% cut that Zagitova apparently has to give Tutberidze.

Well coaches normally take 30%. With the amount of medals Tutberidze students bring in, what's an additional 10%? Surely it's worth it 🤣

starrynight

All Russian skaters have these type of so called contracts with their schools/coaches. And the Federarion also gets some % ;)

Do they go as high as 40%?

Although, given the expense of training, it probably is a good deal compared to skaters in the pay as you go system. It probably ends up being way more than 40% for them if they compare their earnings vs the cost of training.

Not sure what the point in Zagitova paying that much is though. It's not like she's receiving the benefit of full elite training when all she needs to do is keep reasonable shape for show skating.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Per Laishev:

“The first training session took place, these are the first steps, and they must be careful, careful, - said Laishev. - We believe in good, we believe that this cooperation can fully recover. The main thing for us is a workshop filled with strong athletes, so that new talented athletes come there. And those who left are not barred from going back."

🤣🤣🤣
Maybe they anticipate more prodigals to return to the fold. :sekret:

Ka3sha

That was like a 30 seconds piece: Evgenia thanked Brian Orser for everything and , most importantly, for his understanding and agreeing on her decision. They keep great relationship and all is good.
They sit and talked with Eteri, today was their first training together, will see how it goes.

Last edited:

DobrinFan

That was like a 30 seconds piece: Evgenia thanked Brian Orser for everything and , most importangly, for his understanding and agreeing on her decision. They keep great relationship and all is good.
They sit and talked with Eteri, today was their first training together, will see how it goes.

So should I change the title back to Med leaves Orser?:watch:

ETA: added Medvedeva's statement to OP.

Last edited:

starrynight

Wow.

I mean is Eteri really taking back a skater who regressed from the previous standard and is actually going to genuinely train her for actual competitions?

Fascinating stuff. Can barely believe it. But I guess if Tutberidze wants to prove a point about Trusova, Kostornaya leaving etc, she's going to need to make this thing with Medvedeva work. No 'get married make babies' this time around.

What's Plushenko's next move? Tutberidze has the headline now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information