Western US is on fire - the 2020 Version

nlloyd

If it was me, I would look for a vacation rental that accepted pets and was in an inexpensive area not too far away. I am sorry you are having to go through this.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If it was me, I would look for a vacation rental that accepted pets and was in an inexpensive area not too far away. I am sorry you are having to go through this.
I've been thinking of this but fire is everywhere and I am cheap! :lol:

I'm looking at San Luis Obispo. I might be able to just hang out at my son's house though. He's also near the fires but in a different direction that they don't seem to be going in. (He's west, they are heading north.)

Btw, the SCU Aug Lightning Complex has grown 50% (from 220,000+ to 335,00+ acres) and is still only 10% contained. It's definitely the biggest in the state. I think all the smaller fires are now one big fire. Luckily only 5 structures were lost and only 4 injured, no dead.

myhoneyhoney

The evacuation warning is still a couple of cities away from me but I'm at those areas a lot. This is scary.
I went to skate class this morning and the sky over the bridge was completely thick smoke.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They are updating the evacuation map periodically in my area. I think it's getting bigger but it's definitely bounded by that Freeway. I was on the freeway today and it's something like 8 lanes and a median wide so I do think it will be good enough to keep the fire in bounds. Also, it looks like a lot of effort is being put into keeping it from homes rather than stopping it. (Not enough resources to put it out.)

Also, even though SCU grew by 50%, LNU is now the biggest in CA. But honestly, if you look at the map, they are both pretty big. That means the fires are getting bigger instead of smaller. :(

We are slowly getting ready. We put a bunch of stuff in storage. Pictures and bikes and model railroad trains. The next step is to pack to leave.

Then we get to decide if we are going to leave without an evacuation warning to get to someplace with good air. (The air is killing my husband and my dog.)

If you live in CA and you are somewhere safe from fires and your air is in the healthy range, please post! There are places that look good but we can't get to them and we want to stay within a few hundred miles of home so we need some new options!

skatingguy

decently
I'm not in California, but the Pacific Ocean looks good. Lots of water. Maybe live on house boat for a few weeks, or months?

mjb52

San Luis Obispo doesn't look that bad on that map. Southern California is fine right now but that's farther. Do they have evacuation centers for where you are?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Do they have evacuation centers for where you are?
There is one in the next town down. Plus some hotels that are offering good rates and allow pets. But I think they are for people who are being officially evacuated.

My SIL in SD did offer to put us up but I'm not sure I want to go that far. Too much time off from work.

mjb52

There is one in the next town down. Plus some hotels that are offering good rates and allow pets. But I think they are for people who are being officially evacuated.

My SIL in SD did offer to put us up but I'm not sure I want to go that far. Too much time off from work.

Santa Barbara looks decent too, though still a bit far.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Could you still do work from home from SD? I do understand not wanting to head off that far. It's a long drive down there.

I think if you want good air quality that's not too far away from home, central coast is still your best bet. There's nothing really major going on up north on the coast, but it is just still so far away and is more isolated/remote should anything happen.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
What's it like in eastern central CA? I once spent a week in Susanville and it made quite the impression on me.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We made a reservation somewhere and then read that while the air quality is good now, it's going to be bad all next week. :mad:

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
What's it like in eastern central CA? I once spent a week in Susanville and it made quite the impression on me.

The smoke is all blowing into the central valley and to the east as well. When I looked at Purple Air, the air quality is bad in the central valley and worse as you go further east into the Sierra Nevadas.

We made a reservation somewhere and then read that while the air quality is good now, it's going to be bad all next week. :mad:

Nooooooooooooo

Is the reservation refundable or changeable?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

I wouldn't want to be in Susanville during the summer or during fire season. You might not think the terrain around there has much propensity to burn but it can and does. In fact, there is a fire just to the west of Susanville right now, per InciWeb.
I'm talking to the host now. We are going to cancel. Sigh.
Hoping you are able to find a place in California with decent air quality. SD is probably closer than Portland but I can report that the air quality in my part of PDX is absolutely fantastic right now - gorgeous blue skies today. I've been seeing pictures today from friends/family in the Tri-Valley and Tracy all weekend and I really feel for you down there. I have some friends who live in what used to be the southern part of Tracy who are definitely worried, though now, while they are still south of downtown there are a lot more homes and business areas south and west of them which the fire would have to burn through if it did manage to jump 580 (and no, 8 lanes of freeway is not enough of a barrier if the wind is blowing in the right direction - all it takes is one ember and it would be off to the races, especially with everything as tinder dry as it is). Thankfully, as you've pointed out a couple of times, most of the SCU Complex is really rural, mountainous terrain so relatively few structures have been damaged and required evacuation (once the new Valley commuters discovered Altamont Pass Rd, I'd often go over Patterson Pass Rd and sometimes even Tesla Rd/Corral Hollow Rd to commute into Pleasanton/Dublin before I moved up here).

Japanfan

I've been thinking of this but fire is everywhere and I am cheap! :lol:

I would really hope that vacation rentals would offer discounts in times of crises when people are forced to evacuate their homes. But I guess not.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
It's very smoky here in Shasta County. Forget Susanville - there are several fires close to there and some of the people in the surrounding area have been evacuated already. At our house's elevation, the smoke is less dense and we can't smell it from inside the house thanks to the evaporative cooler and air purifier, but outside you can still smell it and visibility isn't great. Driving down into Redding to shop, the smoke is very thick. We had no thunderstorms last night (dry lightning was predicted) so that's good. The only positive is the smoke is cooling things down so it's about ten degrees cooler than normal. A place that might be free from smoke is the Eureka to Crescent City area on the coast. The prevailing winds will keep smoke out of that area, and I don't think there are any fires up around there, anyway.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So we canceled, won't get 100% of our money back. And now the air is just fine down there. We are going to stay put though. The air isn't as bad here as it was yesterday, there was no lightning last night, and the fire evac zone hasn't grown in about 24 hours.

I would really hope that vacation rentals would offer discounts in times of crises when people are forced to evacuate their homes. But I guess not.
I think they might be discounting some. The AirBnB price showed a discount. I thought it was because it was during the week.

There are a ton of hotels in the area that are discounting and allowing pets. But only if you are a "fire victim". We aren't and also we were getting out to escape the smoky air. They have as much smoke in the air as we do since they are only 2-25 miles away from us. :D

If we have to actually evacuate, we will head south and stay with relatives. Assuming we don't get an offer closer to home.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Governor Newsom is giving a press conference on the fires (and C0vid)

Almost 700 fires burning right now. Many more fires for 2020 than all of 2019. We know there are more out there, what they call sleeper fires.

1200+ structures reported gone. (Many more unreported.)

7 deaths

In the last 24 hours:
289 lightning strikes, 10 new fires

Progress on active wildfires:
Lake fire - was 38% contained last Wed. 62% contained today
Loyalton fire-- 35% to 93%
Holser - 30% continued, 80% contained
Ranche 19% - 81%

LNU 22% contained (second-largest CA fire in modern history) 350,000 (Was 375,000 just recently)
CZU: 13% contained, 75,000 acres. Many parts of the forest have never had a fire in modern history
SCU: 10% contained, (3rd largest in CA history) 347,000 acres

August (11%, grass fire), Carmel(15% contained) and Sheep (0% contained)

Presidential Major Disaster Declaration to support the state response.

14,000 firefighters, more thsn 2,4000 engines

In-state mutual aid: 2,827 firefighters and 709 engines (coming from SoCal to help NorCal)

Out of state mutual aid: 91 enginers form AZ, ID, NM, TX, OR, UT, WA
8 coming from Montana (en route)
375 total engines requested
Guard support: ID, UT, AZ, KS

Historic wildfires. Also, C19 has not gone away. This means the sheltering protocols have been modified. Also, protocols to keep the first responders/firefighters safe. Health screenings and assessments before entry to an evacuation facility. Air purifiers, physical distancing, mask requirements

2,211 evacuees. 1480 evacuated to hotels. (599 hotel rooms in 31 hotels) 731 to congregate shelters (17 shelters in 7 counties)

Gave props to the volunteers all across the state coming from all over the country. Disgusted by the people who are looting. Thanked the sheriff for dealing with them and holding them to account. Thanked the shelter operators. Thanked the colleges who are opening their dorms for evacuees. Including taking care of pets.

The weather is a little unfavorable. But by and large, it will be cooler than last week. Still hot though and winds can change in a moment's notice. Winds will be the determinant factor.

Q+A:
Are evacuees getting tested? Worried will spark a new wave? Visited the shelters and am not as concerned. Subject to health screenings. Temp check but also a series of questions. Protocols on masks and physically distancing. Tents in the facilities to separate people. Cots very spaced out. Food protocols have changed.

What masks should wear to protect against smoke and wildfires? Will there be a special session? Testing task force will come out with changes to protocol too. Doctors are the ones who should give mask recommendations. If it's necessary to have a special session, will have one. Dr. Ghaly: Face covering is useful for c19 but not for smoke. Smoke requires filtered air -- breathe out but not in. Surgical masks and N95 are the best solution for both.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The situation in California is heart breaking. I have family and friends in the Bay Area. So far they are OK. My friend who lives north of the Golden Gate Bridge sent me photos of the smoke viewed from her balcony. She and her husband have packed their car, in case they have to evacuate.

Wishing lots of luck for all Californians.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Just found out my former next-door neighbor and former competitive ice dancer is in the evacuation warning zone. By a few blocks.

Here are some articles from the local newspaper that people may find interesting:

There was also one that showed the fires progressing over the week. I had trouble accessing it through the paywall but was able to work around it. I'm not sure how they made it but I think it only shows the hottest fires and sometimes they disappear and come back:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They lifted our evacuation warning last night! :cheer: And we're now 25% contained!

Here's a picture from my front window. You can see that we are very close to those hills which are full of dead grass. Pretty. But worrisome if there is a fire nearby.

Governor Newsom is giving a press briefing but the numbers flew off my screen before I could write it all down. However, since Monday, all the big fires have grown slightly, but are more contained. LNU and SCU go back and forth between being the largest in CA at the moment. And are 2nd and 3rd largest ever.

7 people have died. Over 1650 structures destroyed. Expect to find more structures once fires are more contained.

3,889 evacuees in shelters. 3,041 are in hotels. 848 in shelters.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
LNU fire is 55% contained!
CZU is 33% contained. (My friend who was evacuated is back in her home now.)
SCU is 45% contained!

They found some of the missing condors too. (Their nest burned.)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The weather has been cooperating and the fires are becoming contained. Air quality is bad, of course. (Though it comes and goes where I am. )It is going to heat up this weekend.

SCU (Santa Clara) - 60% contained. The fire grew to 383,157 acres in total making it the 2nd biggest fire in CA ever. No deaths, 4 structures destroyed, 18 structures damaged. For such a big fire, we really lucked out.

CZU (Santa Cruz) - 39% contained, people are starting to be allowed back home. Fire grew to 84,640 acres, but 1177 structures were destroyed. 1 person died and 4 are missing.

LNU (Napa) - 63% contained, Fire grew to 375,209 acres. 1209 structures destroyed, 193 damaged, 5 dead

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Our air quality has been really good the last two days. Of course, what that means is that a northwest wind has blown all the smoke out of our area and into someone else's. :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information