2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

Catherine M

I'm happy to hear that Justine Brasseur and Zach Daleman have teamed up as sadly I never thought that Patricia Andrew was going to get consistent sbs triples.

Also, Zach wouldn't be the first male pair skater to go through a quick succession of partners, looking at the right fit. Didn't Craig Buntin have like 5 of them before he got with Marcoux?!?!

Xsktrx

I'm happy to hear that Justine Brasseur and Zach Daleman have teamed up as sadly I never thought that Patricia Andrew was going to get consistent sbs triples.

Also, Zach wouldn't be the first male pair skater to go through a quick succession of partners, looking at the right fit. Didn't Craig Buntin have like 5 of them before he got with Marcoux?!?!
No doubt Zach can tell if he feels he’s got the right match and if he doesn’t trust that the potential is there he would be right to keep looking. Justine will certainly be the best jumper he has skated with and being 18 or 19 she is a seasoned pairs skater. Hopefully this is the one. Both seem like great people and it would be nice if this works out.

Erin

Banned Member

He sure did. He had a couple different novice partners, one for 96-98 and the other for 98-99. Then in 99-00, he won juniors with Chantal Poirier. He followed that up with a one year stint with Marie Laurier that wasn’t very successful. My recollection is kind of fuzzy about the rest of the time before he got together with Marcoux, but I think at some point he briefly skated with Elizabeth Putnam, while Sean Wirtz was going to skate with Marcoux...then either Paul Wirtz decided to swap the two teams or the teams themselves requested it and that’s how he finally ended up with Val. Wikipedia also lists Virginia Toombs (2000 novice champ) as one of his partners, so maybe that was during the 2001-02 season? Because he split with Laurier after the 2001 season, but Putnam and Marcoux both had other partners during 2001-02, so Virginia could have fit into that lost year.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yes, I enjoyed Zachary Daleman with Patricia Andrew. They surely had potential with the right development, just as Justine Brasseur certainly did with Mark Bardei -- but logistics and whatever else interfered with their development. Brasseur/ Bardei certainly showed flashes of brilliance, but it was not to be.

I too hope that Patricia Andrew will be able to continue pursuing her skating dreams and goals.♥

We'll see what the new partnership of Brasseur/ Daleman has in store, especially being coached by Marcotte/Duhamel. With the new season in doubt, skaters will have a huge opportunity to strategically work on improvements in needed areas, as well as to explore 'think-outside-the-box' music. This goes for all skaters.

Like McIntosh and Mirmar unfortunate for these interesting new partnerships to form in a season where there may be little to no opportunity to showcase their development.

I think the best way to view this situation is 'glass half-full.' Judging by upbeat social media posts, many of the skaters are trying to make the best of things, as best they can. As I said, all the athletes should be using this time strategically to train and develop. Hopefully, there will be local and regional comps for skaters to get some competitive practice in this season, and perhaps respective Nationals events can be held in some form or other.

McIntosh/Mimar may have been further ahead in their training and may have benefited from Junior comps happening this season. But once again, this layoff situation provides them with more time to develop their partnership, enhance their strengths, and meld as a team.

Brasseur/Daleman have apparently only recently partnered, and thus will surely benefit from extended training and preparation for eventual competitive events. B/D probably wouldn't have been that prepared to compete this Fall anyway. Are B/D going to debut in juniors, or start in seniors? Does anyone know?

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not hopeful re: Justine & Zach. Mostly I don't see her lasting under Bruno & Megan-- well, Megan anyways, with how temperamental she was rumoured to be with Bardei. Plus, I've yet to see the new Oakville school really improving the "finish" on skaters, and Brasseur needs that big time.

Erin

Banned Member
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not hopeful re: Justine & Zach. Mostly I don't see her lasting under Bruno & Megan-- well, Megan anyways, with how temperamental she was rumoured to be with Bardei.

I’ve heard that the description of her being “temperamental” was the Bardei camp’s spin on things, and the Brasseur camp has their own version of things. Who knows what the truth is (probably somewhere in the middle), but it wouldn’t be the first case where someone had a personality clash with one partner, but was perfectly fine with a new partner. I’m glad she found a partner to give it a shot at least, but I understand your hesitation to get too excited.

shutterbug

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not hopeful re: Justine & Zach. Mostly I don't see her lasting under Bruno & Megan-- well, Megan anyways, with how temperamental she was rumoured to be with Bardei. Plus, I've yet to see the new Oakville school really improving the "finish" on skaters, and Brasseur needs that big time.
It's not like Meagan and Bruno don't know what they're getting into with Justine. :confused: And, if hard work and a positive attitude are the norm at the rink, that can go a long way in smoothing over any behavioral issues. Regarding "finishing", IMHO Justine is a star and doesn't need much work. Zach, OTOH, is still (understandably) a bit of a project. He made such an amazing transformation in the year he spent with working with Bryce. It's a shame he wasn't able to continue training in Hamilton for at least one more season.

Colonel Green

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not hopeful re: Justine & Zach. Mostly I don't see her lasting under Bruno & Megan-- well, Megan anyways, with how temperamental she was rumoured to be with Bardei.
Meagan and Bruno already know Justine from when they were all training/coaching in Montreal, so I don’t think that’s a big concern. One imagines they wouldn’t have helped set this up if they didn’t think it would work.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Meagan and Bruno already know Justine from when they were all training/coaching in Montreal, so I don’t think that’s a big concern. One imagines they wouldn’t have helped set this up if they didn’t think it would work.

That's true, but it's also true the Marcottes are ambitious with building their coaching centre/brand, and Justine is quite talented.

In the end, I want a healthy pool of pair teams competing at Canadians, so I'd quite like this all to work out.

LL22

I’ve heard that the description of her being “temperamental” was the Bardei camp’s spin on things, and the Brasseur camp has their own version of things. Who knows what the truth is (probably somewhere in the middle), but it wouldn’t be the first case where someone had a personality clash with one partner, but was perfectly fine with a new partner. I’m glad she found a partner to give it a shot at least, but I understand your hesitation to get too excited.

This is all said nicely as sometimes text can come across nasty when there is no tone involved... Bardei doesn’t really have a “camp”, just FYI! He was here to skate and work hard, period. I think this opportunity meant a great deal to him. He moved here for skating and wanted to work as hard as possible to achieve his goals. I don’t know what the future holds for him, but I hope he ends up doing well for himself. He is also extremely strong and made Justine look good in the twist and lifts. He will be a hard act to follow.
I also really enjoy Patricia and thought she had a nice flair to her skating. Hope to see her around again.

Vase

Given her fiery, fierce showings Over the past few years and at such a young age, I would think we haven’t saw the last of Andrew, a season off competing could give her more time for jumps, cause she seems to have the performance down.
I hope B/D have a great showing at Nationals, with nice big throws.If throws is her struggle, I hope she can figure it out, athletes work so hard I feel they all deserve it.
Seems like it could be some good competition in junior, though I would think they will skate senior. To me, Oakville is working out well with their teams, not easy to start up with a new group of athletes.

Xsktrx

Given her fiery, fierce showings Over the past few years and at such a young age, I would think we haven’t saw the last of Andrew, a season off competing could give her more time for jumps, cause she seems to have the performance down.
I hope B/D have a great showing at Nationals, with nice big throws.If throws is her struggle, I hope she can figure it out, athletes work so hard I feel they all deserve it.
Seems like it could be some good competition in junior, though I would think they will skate senior. To me, Oakville is working out well with their teams, not easy to start up with a new group of athletes.
Do you have some inside knowledge that Patricia is taking a year off from pairs and not searching for a new partner in order to work on her jumps or are you just guessing that is her plan for this season?

aftershocks

Banned Member

I echo what others have pointed out already: Rumors are rumors, and whatever has been said or whatever may have existed in fact during one partnership and coaching situation does not necessarily have to carry over into a different partnership and coaching/ training set-up.

I don't think there's been enough time and mileage to suggest anything lacking or otherwise re the ability of the Oakville school to 'improve finish on skaters.'

I really look forward to seeing how McIntosh/ Mimar will fare in junior competition. They are looking to be a very good match judging by their training clips. Brasseur/Daleman have just partnered so it's not easy to know what to expect from them in the future. There's every reason to be hopeful. It will be nice to eventually see a few clips of them training together.

Vase

Do you have some inside knowledge that Patricia is taking a year off from pairs and not searching for a new partner in order to work on her jumps or are you just guessing that is her plan for this season?

No insight at all and never said she wasn’t doing pairs, I just meant with no upcoming competitions in the near future. Purkiss is not one to post about what her students are doing, we will all just have to wait and see. I look forward to Nationals!

barbarafan

This is all said nicely as sometimes text can come across nasty when there is no tone involved... Bardei doesn’t really have a “camp”, just FYI! He was here to skate and work hard, period. I think this opportunity meant a great deal to him. He moved here for skating and wanted to work as hard as possible to achieve his goals. I don’t know what the future holds for him, but I hope he ends up doing well for himself. He is also extremely strong and made Justine look good in the twist and lifts. He will be a hard act to follow.
I also really enjoy Patricia and thought she had a nice flair to her skating. Hope to see her around again.
Really like Bardai as a skater so I hope he does find a Cdn partner. It is really our loss for him to go elsewhere.

Colonel Green

so is there news or not?
It was something that TSL initially posted but then took down after their source asked them to, so I removed my reference to it as well.

The thing you're quoting was just that I accidentally/automatically typed "Bartholomay" instead of "Deschamps".

aftershocks

Banned Member
Ah now, what is it that was deleted? :drama: Something regarding Stellato/Deschamps? Is it program news or training news? Hopefully they are continuing as partners!

Sylvia

TBD
Which reminds me... last week I caught a brief clip of Moore-Towers/Marinaro landing a nice throw 3Lo via Instagram story and recognized the music as "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice (heard it's their FS music).

Rock2

Which reminds me... last week I caught a brief clip of Moore-Towers/Marinaro landing a nice throw 3Lo via Instagram story and recognized the music as "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice (heard it's their FS music).

To what extent were you convinced that was their music instead of someone else on the ice running their programs?

I say that because.....barf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information