Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Asian drama life. They really do test your patience some times. I think most Asian dramas I've seen would be stronger if they were half their lengths. I do like the "fluff" because it can set up deeper character relationships, but so much of it is shrouded by unneeded complications and issues that would be avoided with basic human abilities in communication - and I'm taking cultural issues into account.

I’m more used to Japanese dramas (how I learned a lot of my Japanese :shuffle: ) which I don’t recall being more than hour per episode (incessant ad breaks included).

VGThuy

I’m more used to Japanese dramas (how I learned a lot of my Japanese :shuffle: ) which I don’t recall being more than hour per episode (incessant ad breaks included).

Oh yeah, Japanese dramas have it under control, and I tend to really enjoy them when I find one to watch. Shorter episode orders and lengths. Their writing is also more than dragging out love conflicts and deal with some serious things, I find, generally speaking.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Oh yeah, Japanese dramas have it under control, and I tend to really enjoy them when I find one to watch. Shorter episode orders and lengths. Their writing is also more than dragging out love conflicts and deal with some serious things, I find, generally speaking.

They are definitely higher paced. I have to say that I found the acting and production values of “Crash Landing On You” of a higher standard than Japanese ones I have seen, editing aside. Some serious money was put into it.

VGThuy

They are definitely higher paced. I have to say that I found the acting and production values of “Crash Landing On You” of a higher standard than Japanese ones I have seen, editing aside. Some serious money was put into it.

From what I've seen of Crash Landing On You, that's totally true. South Korean shows have serious money that they put into production values. They actually have really good cinematography and sweeping scores and such. I like Taiwanese ones because the actors actually kiss like they mean it, and there's so much heat in their romances, but their production values can be iffy and they fall prey into the whole dragging out storylines for far too many episodes. I remember my brother, husband, and I got roped into this 84-episode show called Inborn Pair, and we were far too invested to quit even though there was like so many ridiculous threads going on (we vowed to forget the anti-abortion subplot later into the show centering on a side character). One other Taiwanese show I watched was only like 20 or so episodes, but it really only needed 10 because it went off the rails in the second half. You could tell with the draggy pacing that the writers were running out of ideas and had to complete a network episode order or something.

annie720

Finally finished watching “Crash Landing On You” and while it was an interesting series it really requires a level of commitment as most of the episodes are 90 minutes or longer and there are 18 of them.

dh and I watched this one together and enjoyed it. It was actually HIS idea to watch as he had read a newspaper article that mentioned it and he thought it was a movie. We had no idea it was a k-drama until we started watching. Neither one of us wanted to stop though. :)

skatemomaz

Resist
A few months ago DH and I watched Troop Zero on Amazon and really enjoyed it. I watched it again yesterday with my mother and she just loved it. It really is a charming and funny movie, I highly recommend. Bonus Viola Davis and Allison Janney are amazing as usual.

Sarrie

I binged Peaky Blinders on Netflix and loved it until season 6 and then struggled to finish. I like Sam Claflin but couldn't really get into his character/storyline. I'm also meh about Michael Gray and his love interest and story line. Cillian Murphy is outstanding tho and not hard on the eyes at all.

And don't judge me but I also binged watched season 6 of UK Love Island. I was on a YouTube spiral and one of the season 6 runner up couple's vlogs was on my suggested list so I took the bait and thought they were cute so watched their whole season on Hulu. It was good, trashy fun especially after something darker like Peaky Blinders. I actually liked not having to pay too much attention so I could bead and not worry about missing something on the screen (wish it didn't have so much kissing noises though, that just grossed me out. Seeing it is one thing but hearing the smacking is cringe-y for me).

Cachoo

I just read about the suicide of one of the cast members of Terrace House. I’ve always thought of this show as a gentle cousin to some comparable shows in North America and Europe. I was sad to read of this young woman’s death.

CassAgain

Trying to get as much out of an HBO subscription before I cancel--binged the time travel/crime procedural show from Norway, Beforeigners. I thought it was bananas, but I really enjoyed it. A lot of season one is world building and setting up the plot for season two, and the central crime doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I thought it was a cathartic, cool watch in our 2020 world. It's pre-BB, but it has def. parallels.

In a nutshell, in current Oslo (and apparently all over the world) people from three past eras keep (literally) popping up in the bay. They are from the Stone Age, Norse era circa 1000 C.E., and the 1870s. Flash forward five years and people from these times are still popping in while the society is dealing with the ongoing situation and changes it has brought.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Anyone watching Indian Matchmaking on Netflix? I’m not usually into this type of show but I am really enjoying it. Aparna and Pradyhuman are something, I’m not sure they are going to match. 😬 At least Aparna does want a spouse.

Last edited:

jeffisjeff

I like Karppi / Deadwind on netflix. There are 2 seasons.[/URL]

Thanks, I didn't see that the second season was out! I enjoyed the first.

I have also added Before We Die on PBS to my list, which I believe is Swedish?

Any recommendations for other good Scandi detective shows? (After Modus, I may be hooked. 😄)

Well, the obvious place to start (at least obvious to the viewer from the US :lol:) are Wallender (although supposedly the BBC version, featuring Kenneth Branagh is better than the Swedish version), The Bridge and The Killing.

gkelly

There is also an Icelandic series called Pressa, which is known as either Cover Story or The Press in release on English-language platforms. I can't remember which streaming service I watched it on.

text_skate

A lot of Scandi series are co-produced by German television, as The Bridge or Trapped (I like both, The Bridge better). About 15 years ago there was this Danish series called "The Eagle". It's really great. Complex storytelling, developed characters. I don't know, if it's on any streaming service. It had just 3 seasons. afair Jens Albinus had other projects in mind.

I also enjoyed "Rejseholdet" almost 2 decades ago, Danish series. Very strong women characters. It was one of the first scandi series, which introduced horizontal storytelling. Mads Mikkelsen was starring, and there was a story arc with his brother Lars.

Not exactly scandi noir, but Welsh noir: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) It's on netflix. I heard, just the English version. It's more entertaining in Welsh with subs. I bought the DVD set. Imo one of the best series in the past years.

Other worth watching series, if/when they are available: Nobel (Norwegian), Countdown Copenhagen (Danish, 1st season), Midnattsol (French/Swedish), Cordon (Belgian-Dutch), Salamander (Belgian, 1st season)

gkelly

Just out of curiosity: Do you tend to prefer shows where there is one main plotline across a whole season of, say, 3-13 hours? Or Series where each episode has its own main plot that is wrapped up by the end of the episode, even if there may be ongoing developments in the protagonists' personal lives?

clairecloutier

Well, I am all set with recommendations. Thanks everyone!

I had previously watched the American version of The Killing, which I really liked, and which remains one of my favorite series of the last decade or so. So I guess that was my first introduction to Scandi-type mysteries.

I also watched the American version of The Bridge, which was interesting. I liked the mood and pacing of both shows, but didn't care for the 2 main characters in The Bridge, whereas I was drawn in to the lead duo in The Killing.

We started watching Dark last night. First episode seemed just okay? I didn't really like any of the characters. Will see how it goes.

Jenny

From the Bloc
It's not Scandi, but if you enjoy crime series I highly recommend Cardinal. It's based on a series of books (also recommended, if you like that sort of thing) and takes place in a very thinly disguised northern Ontario city, so plenty of northern feel (they're in parkas and tracking blood through the snow half the time, except for one year when the action took place during mosquito season :)).

annie720

Anyone watching Indian Matchmaking on Netflix? I’m not usually into this type of show but I am really enjoying it. Aparna and Pradyhuman are something, I’m not sure they are going to match. 😬 At least Aparna does want a spouse.
I've watched the first three episodes. I was hoping it wouldn't be a typical Bravo or TLC-type reality show and almost turned it off when it appeared to be going in that direction, but then I got hooked on the girls. Couldn't care less about any of the guys at this point, including Pradh.... I like Nadia a lot, as well as her family, and Aparna is growing on me.

Last edited:

jeffisjeff

I also watched the American version of The Bridge, which was interesting. I liked the mood and pacing of both shows, but didn't care for the 2 main characters in The Bridge, whereas I was drawn in to the lead duo in The Killing.

Have you watched The Tunnel, which is the British/French version? It is available on PBS Passport and is quite good. I liked the first season of the US version of The Bridge, but felt that subsequent seasons went downhill. The Tunnel holds up better over the seasons.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So we finished Brave New World and... what? wtf was that?

I was so confused at the end that I looked up the SparkNotes on the book and the series has almost nothing to do with the book except to use the main characters and the initial world with the Alpha, Beta, etc. (Though I don't think the book had Alpha+ or anything like that.) So it was no help.

Therefore, if you watched the series and understood where everyone ended up, can you explain it to me?

clairecloutier

Have you watched The Tunnel, which is the British/French version? It is available on PBS Passport and is quite good. I liked the first season of the US version of The Bridge, but felt that subsequent seasons went downhill. The Tunnel holds up better over the seasons.

No, I haven't watched that one. Maybe I will give it a try!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Therefore, if you watched the series and understood where everyone ended up, can you explain it to me?
nm. I found an article about it. :D

I am loving the new Babysitter’s Club. They really stuck to the spirit of the books with the updating they did. And the characters look exactly like I’d always thought they looked like. My 10 year old self is very happy :lol:
I loved that series so much. I'm sad I binged it so quickly.

When I read the books, I really identified with Kristy but in the TV series, I'm loving Claudia the best.

annie720

Not exactly scandi noir, but Welsh noir: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) It's on netflix. I heard, just the English version. It's more entertaining in Welsh with subs. I bought the DVD set. Imo one of the best series in the past years.

Thanks for the Hinterland recommendation! We watched the first episode on netflix last night and enjoyed it a lot. Would love to be able to watch the Welsh version but maybe there are clips somewhere.

ETA: So the trailers are up on youtube in Welsh, so I got a taste of it.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

I watched the whole series because I worked for an Indian-owned company for 5 years. I watched a number of young guys who entered arranged marriages, some of whom I never expected would. I saw characteristics of many from my company(male and female), manifested in some the stories provided, but only those that were India-based.

One of the guys I knew when asked about his new wife said that it was strange "having someone attached to him" all of a sudden. Another's new wife when she became pregnant came to talk to me because she was incredibly scared of giving birth(they were in The States) and both sets of parents were back in India. I was invited to a few weddings and had I been in India at the time, would have attended. These are three day blowout affairs.

One couple with whom I was very close, met at my company and married outside of the arranged marriage framework. In terms of caste, she was a Brahmin and he was not. After four years and two children later, they decided to return to India because she had lost her visa status to work and she wanted to return. Also daycare was prohibitive.

I would have liked to have seen the outcomes of some of the matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information