Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I might post something about in the Movies thread. Last night my friend and I watched Eurovision Song Contest: The story of Fire Saga on Netflix.

We loved it. There was one part where we could not stop laughing it was so funny. But it was one of those really great feel good movies like Pitch Perfect. The characters were really believable. You know you are watching Will Ferrell but he was really good and his character was so likeable. And Rachel McAdam was lovely. Plus it has a lot of surprises in terms of the cast. And it doesn't not take the p*ss out of Eurovision but rather is a really affectionate homage to it.

If you are a Eurovision tragic or Will Ferrell fan you will not be disappointed.

starrynight

I might post something about in the Movies thread. Last night my friend and I watched Eurovision Song Contest: The story of Fire Saga on Netflix.

We loved it. There was one part where we could not stop laughing it was so funny. But it was one of those really great feel good movies like Pitch Perfect. The characters were really believable. You know you are watching Will Ferrell but he was really good and his character was so likeable. And Rachel McAdam was lovely. Plus it has a lot of surprises in terms of the cast. And it doesn't not take the p*ss out of Eurovision but rather is a really affectionate homage to it.

If you are a Eurovision tragic or Will Ferrell fan you will not be disappointed.

Is it as good as Blades of Glory?

Tesla

Whippet Good

I want to watch this because I like the music from the trailers. Is that wrong? It sounds great. I need upbeat right now.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I thought the bits at the Eurovision itself were well done, but thought there weren’t a lot of laughs. :shuffle:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Seems the professional critics didn’t like it, but everyone else did. I added it to my list.

Lynn226

I watched Athlete A on Netflix yesterday. It tells the story of Maggie Nichols who filed a complaint against Larry Nassar with the USAG and the events that followed. The stories of other survivors are also included. I thought it was well done and worth watching.

Aussie Willy

I watched Athlete A on Netflix yesterday. It tells the story of Maggie Nichols who filed a complaint against Larry Nassar with the USAG and the events that followed. The stories of other survivors are also included. I thought it was well done and worth watching.
I watched that last night. Very good. The story it not finished yet.

manhn

Eurovision was okay (Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens were fantastic, Will Ferrell was meh), but there is one song I love. Jaja Ding Dong!!!

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I watched Athlete A as soon as I got home from work Friday because it was mentioned in a different thread there. It was great. Maggie Nichols was in many ways the focus, but :respec:, again, to Rachael Denhollander.

Last night I was trying to figure out when (if?) the 4th season of GLOW would be released, and decided to just watch S1 again. That show is SO good.

sk9tingfan

Binge-watched The Aristocrats on Amazon Prime yesterday(six episodes from the BBC). It's about Lennox sisters, most notably Lady Caroline Lennox who defied her noble father(Lord Charles Lennox, the 2nd Duke of Richmond) to elope with Henry Fox, a Whig politician. Her sister, Emily who married James Fitzgerald the 20th Earl of Kildare and 1st Duke of Leinster, becoming Emily Fitzgerald, Duchess of Leinster. I thought that it was an excellent portrait of the British aristocracy in the late 1700's - through the early part of the 19th century about which I knew little.

Aussie Willy

Binge-watched The Aristocrats on Amazon Prime yesterday(six episodes from the BBC). It's about Lennox sisters, most notably Lady Caroline Lennox who defied her noble father(Lord Charles Lennox, the 2nd Duke of Richmond) to elope with Henry Fox, a Whig politician. Her sister, Emily who married James Fitzgerald the 20th Earl of Kildare and 1st Duke of Leinster, becoming Emily Fitzgerald, Duchess of Leinster. I thought that it was an excellent portrait of the British aristocracy in the late 1700's - through the early part of the 19th century about which I knew little.
And you forgot about John Boy who was the third cousin removed that had an illegitimate child which Little Bumpkin. Who turned out to be his sister. But Little Bumpkin had inadvertently married her long lost sister …...

sk9tingfan

And you forgot about John Boy who was the third cousin removed that had an illegitimate child which Little Bumpkin. Who turned out to be his sister. But Little Bumpkin had inadvertently married her long lost sister …...

Always interesting to discover a new era of British history. Makes for great watching :watch:

mjb52

Third season of Dark is incredible! It's the last one and I have one episode left and I am sort of hesitating to watch it because I don't want it to be over.

Miezekatze

I watched "Athlete A", it's a great documentary, but so infuriating!
I was really impressed with the interviewed athletes and all the women speaking out.

manhn

For me, it's better than Blades of Glory (I didn't much care for that). The actual music in Eurovision is legit good. Can't say the same for the skating in Blades of Glory.

starrynight

I really want to watch it! But I need to resist because my brother wants to have a Eurovision themed viewing party for it. So I will need to be patient.

Aussie Willy

Oh come on, you know that the only good scene in Blades of Glory was the "iron lotus" by the North Korean pair:
I liked the comment someone made

I think the judges gave him an 8 for difficulty and a 10 for execution

Was watching an interview with Will Ferrell. He had approached the Eurovision people about making a movie and the Eurovision people were very happy for him to do it. When Ferrell said it would be a comedy they said something to the effect that Eurovision totally lends itself to being a comedy.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
For me, it's better than Blades of Glory (I didn't much care for that). The actual music in Eurovision is legit good. Can't say the same for the skating in Blades of Glory.
I thought Blades of Glory had more story and better pacing. Plus Will Ferrill was less annoying. (Not a fan) But definitely the music in Eurovision was a high point.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I thought Blades of Glory had more story and better pacing. Plus Will Ferrill was less annoying. (Not a fan) But definitely the music in Eurovision was a high point.

The contest performances in the film were relatively toned down to what we have had in the past:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The contest performances in the film were relatively toned down to what we have had in the past:

That is interesting because I was expecting things to be a bit ... more. But only based on what people say here about the contest as I've never seen it.

But the songs were still a lot of fun and well done. I read they got known songwriters to write them. I think it shows.

starrynight

The quote from the trailer 'they are old and disgusting' makes me laugh.

I remember when I was at school in a regional town in Australia and our German language teacher was going on in her heavy accent about how one Eurovision performance was 'disgusting'. (I think because it was sexually suggestive) lol I don't think anyone in the class really understood what Eurovision was.

But never mind that she then put on Inspector Rex for us to watch and then had to suddenly fast forward through the unnecessary and gratuitous nudity that used to randomly throw itself onto the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information