From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Hah hah got you. You should be very proud of your kid and especially yourself for getting it done. I should know... working and schlepping the kids to the rink is a huge challenge.

It's been a very long time since I did any 'schlepping', Tiff's been living in Russia since 2014....
Though I did my share of 4:30am wake-up calls before that.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Tiff’s red always reminded me of Franka Potente’s hair in Run Lola Run (great movie). The blonde suits her very well too.
I loved her podcast interview with Lilah Fear a couple of months ago, what a full and incredible life she’s had so far!!!

eusebius

Tiff’s red always reminded me of Franka Potente’s hair in Run Lola Run (great movie). The blonde suits her very well too.
I loved her podcast interview with Lilah Fear a couple of months ago, what a full and incredible life she’s had so far!!!
That was an amazing movie! Wish I could remember what the soundtrack was like... might be a great FD theme for Tiff & Jon!

Ka3sha

IFS Magazine interview with Daniil Glekhengauz (ENG)

Interview with Svetlana Sokolovskaya (RUS)

And with Alena Leonova (RUS)

Eislauffan

Alexei Mishin still waiting for news when they can start training on ice in St. Petersburg:

Moscow rinks should open next week on Tuesday (June 23).

Tinami Amori

Shiseido Ginza Tokyo is going Global with Alina Zagitova's adverts. it now includes several ads with skating and a short testimonial interview with english translations.

Last edited:

mjb52

Alexei Mishin still waiting for news when they can start training on ice in St. Petersburg:

Moscow rinks should open next week on Tuesday (June 23).

Not to sound needy lol but do you know if your interview with SinKats will be translated at some point?

Spun Silver

I really like Tiffani’s hair. In my opinion, the blonde suits her so much better than her usual ginger or red.
I love it! I like the red too, but what I really love is seeing her face without the bangs. She's so pretty and looks much younger with swept back hair. The combo of fierce red hair and bangs made her look like a sort of Lulu/femme fatale character. The new look will be more versatile.

barbarafan

I love it! I like the red too, but what I really love is seeing her face without the bangs. She's so pretty and looks much younger with swept back hair. The combo of fierce red hair and bangs made her look like a sort of Lulu/femme fatale character. The new look will be more versatile.
now we have to wait and see if the hair is secretly matched to this year's programs. How pathetic I feel to be reduced to by getting involved in a hair debate....pls pls skaters post some new skating for us to see....See what it is doing to us!!!! We are barely human!

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
now we have to wait and see if the hair is secretly matched to this year's programs. How pathetic I feel to be reduced to by getting involved in a hair debate....pls pls skaters post some new skating for us to see....See what it is doing to us!!!! We are barely human!

@barbarafan Most skaters are keeping last year's programs due to time constraints, T&J included.

clairecloutier

To me, Tiff's unique bright ginger bob with bangs has always said "Ice dance diva, but with a very modern twist". The default for ice dance ladies is the long feminine wavy mane, either blonde or brunette (the better to be tossed about at dramatic points in the program). I liked Tiff's red because it was a welcome departure from that norm (which gets predictable) and a very distinct style. It kind of reminded me of pop stars who often have unusual hairstyles that are designed to be a trademark look for them. But, I am sure she will look great either way.

hanca

Values her privacy
To me, Tiff's unique bright ginger bob with bangs has always said "Ice dance diva, but with a very modern twist". The default for ice dance ladies is the long feminine wavy mane, either blonde or brunette (the better to be tossed about at dramatic points in the program). I liked Tiff's red because it was a welcome departure from that norm (which gets predictable) and a very distinct style. It kind of reminded me of pop stars who often have unusual hairstyles that are designed to be a trademark look for them. But, I am sure she will look great either way.
I don’t think ginger can be called unique, considering that 4-5 years before her another Russian ice dancer, Jana Khokhlova, had the same. An if the reason was to stand out, one needs to consider who is doing the judging. The judges’ average age suggest that they are generally quite conservative group and therefore I am not sure whether ginger bob or even screamingly red hair are standing out from the right reasons. If she was a singles skater it may not matter as much, but ice dance is so much about personal preferences, I am not sure if one wants to stand out of the line, unless they can afford it. If Papadakis will do that to stand out, it will be viewed differently than if Zagorski does that.

hanca

Values her privacy
I think Z/G are at a high enough level that they don't need to worry about the judges accepting them, whatever their look is.

And, some of us have only thankfully dim memories of Jana Khoklova. :saint:
I disagree. The only ice dance couple I consider high enough is Papadakis/Cizeron (and in the past Virue/Moir and Davis/White). Those are the couples who could get away with changing the trends and get away with it. From the rest of the field I think the judges expect skaters to toe the line and do ‘what is expected’. Unfortunately' we can’t measure how much trying to stand out has affected Z/G’s scores, but I don’t think it is helping them. At times I thought they skated better than their scores indicated... in ice dance, package matters a lot.

Sylvia

TBD
The short and free program for the 2019 Universiade bronze medalist Stanislava Konstantinova will be delivered by Canadian choreographer Мартин Даженэ [Martine Dagenais], figure skater coach Alexander Volkov told RIA Novosti.
In February, Konstantinova transferred to the academy of two-time Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko in the Volkov group from coach Valentina Chebotareva. Dagenais is a full-time choreographer of the Plushenko Academy.
Volkov [Dagenais' husband]: "I can say that this will not be a classic, there will be not so much lyrics in the programs."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information