Will we get 2020-21 GP assignments, and when?

Dobre

Just pointing out for anyone coming into this thread without having read the previous related discussion that this thread is about the GP.

There was a previous thread about the likelihood of holding a 2020-2021 skating season in general, and--if I recall correctly--there are many posts there about the possibility of holding various types of skating events or making adaptations for events for this season. That discussion probably feels out of date now, but here is the link for it.
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...feasibility-of-2020-21-skating-season.107193/

Fans having serious doubts about the likelihood of holding the GP is not the same as people saying let's cancel everything. For sure, there are a lot of difficulties that face anyone organizing any type of skating event right now. But not all events include some of the challenges facing the GP. The GP, for example, is usually held with the intention of making a profit. It is held, for the most part, in powerhouse skating countries, many of which have dealt with bad covid outbreaks leading up to this point in time. It is held in public arenas that probably charge more than your average club or JGP or CS arena. It typically has an audience. Ticket sales are typically a priority. And it typically features a high percentage of Russian, American, and Japanese skaters. It is typically funded by the federations of a limited number of host countries. Etc.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
I think one of the main things that will hinder Skate Canada is the restriction on gatherings over a certain number of people.

For example where I live in Canada, we are capped at 10 and everyone must social distance.

I don’t know what Ontario is at right now (more than us I think).

This number is expected to increase but nobody know when and there is no timeframe to do this. It all depends on crud cases.

Also, even if there is no restriction on number of people in gatherings, it could change at any time.

The organizing committee would most likely need an exemption or guarantee of some sort to hold any type Skate Canada event.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I think one of the main things that will hinder Skate Canada is the restriction on gatherings over a certain number of people.

For example where I live in Canada, we are capped at 10 and everyone must social distance.

I don’t know what Ontario is at right now (more than us I think).

This number is expected to increase but nobody know when and there is no timeframe to do this. It all depends on crud cases.

Also, even if there is no restriction on number of people in gatherings, it could change at any time.

The organizing committee would most likely need an exemption or guarantee of some sort to hold any type Skate Canada event.

You’re right on that

Parsley Sage

Ontario is currently at public gatherings of 10 people and you must social distance.

You can also have a social circle (aka bubble) of 10 people that you can hug and kiss etc. This group of 10 includes people you live with and anyone who is regularly in your home.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Ontario is currently at public gatherings of 10 people and you must social distance.

You can also have a social circle (aka bubble) of 10 people that you can hug and kiss etc. This group of 10 includes people you live with and anyone who is regularly in your home.
By fall, assuming contact tracing is in place, I think most places will expand the definition of bubble to include anyone you can identify by name and know how to contact. I know the NHL teams are planning on treating it that way.

Miezekatze

In Germany the number of people who can publically gather together as a group doesn't have anything to do with the number of people allowed for events with a proper hygiene and distancing concept though.

For example in my state the max number for people to gather together as a group outside is 10 too, but you can still have events with up to 100 people (in other states up to 500 or 1000 already). That's 2 different things.

skategal

Bunny mama
In Germany the number of people who can publically gather together as a group doesn't have anything to do with the number of people allowed for events with a proper hygiene and distancing concept though.

For example in my state the max number for people to gather together as a group outside is 10 too, but you can still have events with up to 100 people (in other states up to 500 or 1000 already). That's 2 different things.

Very interesting. No where in Canada is allowed yet to have mass events of any type so no one has yet defined it or said what is allowed.

Where I live right now we can have any type of event indoor or outdoor as long as there is no more than 10 people total and social distancing is in place.

Lizziebeth

I had a friend who insisted on rum and Tab when we went out, supposedly because she was always on a diet. But you had to put a LOT of rum in to kill the Tab taste, so that cancelled out any calorie savings.
My sister ordered a rum and Tab in a noisy bar. The server looked at us and had her repeat it. My sister got a rum with a side of tap beer!!

My dad snarkily called Tab 'teen aged beverage'

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Very interesting. No where in Canada is allowed yet to have mass events of any type so no one has yet defined it or said what is allowed.

Where I live right now we can have any type of event indoor or outdoor as long as there is no more than 10 people total and social distancing is in place.

Protests are allowed though! I wish they would relax the 50 car drive in movie limit. Everyone is already in their vehicles

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
My dad snarkily called Tab 'teen aged beverage'
Tab has now nearly made it to retirement age -- why is it still here?!? I must confess I drank Tab as a teenager and it did have a nasty aftertaste. "Tab, the first and the worst!" I don't think it came in cans back then; I remember bottles with little asterisk "stars" or maybe that is just a Tab-induced hallucination. :lol:

Vagabond

Tab has now nearly made it to retirement age -- why is it still here?!? I must confess I drank Tab as a teenager and it did have a nasty aftertaste. "Tab, the first and the worst!" I don't think it came in cans back then; I remember bottles with little asterisk "stars" or maybe that is just a Tab-induced hallucination. :lol:
Apparently, Tab tastes much better when spiked with Geritol. ;)

I still remember that Diet 7 Up ad with Don Rickles and Brooke Shields in which she told him that she drank Diet 7 Up "because it doesn't have that unpleasant aftertaste -- like your jokes!" :giggle:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
"Later this year" could be after the scheduled date for the Grand Prix Final. :shuffle:

Yeah because that makes sense. They are trying. They tried asking federations about creating another JGP stop. They aren’t sitting back doing nothing as the lovely people here always think.

No one has answers right now. Look at the MLB and NCAA football. Assigning skaters to six events where two probably have no chance of happening and at least two more are high doubt isn’t logical at this point, and may never be.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Yeah because that makes sense. They are trying. They tried asking federations about creating another JGP stop. They aren’t sitting back doing nothing as the lovely people here always think.

No one has answers right now. Look at the MLB and NCAA football. Assigning skaters to six events where two probably have no chance of happening and at least two more are high doubt isn’t logical at this point, and may never be.
Yup. The normal way of dealing with something like this is to increase the size of the field at fewer events, but that just makes it harder to reduce contact and more complicated for those who arrange travel and testing.

MsZem

I see the sea
MLB is so dysfunctional it makes the ISU look like the best-run organization on the planet. And I agree, they are trying. There is so much uncertainty still, and it makes sense to wait for as long as possible before making a call either way.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
in a nutshell, no

Also, I just checked.... Travel into the USA from The Euro union and China and other places is still banned.

And vice versa Im sure.

And with the MLB and NBA and others really just have teams from within North America.

aftershocks

Banned Member
MLB is so dysfunctional it makes the ISU look like the best-run organization on the planet.

:lol: :( :wuzrobbed

There's as usual a lot of history with the stand-offs between the players union and owners, etc. Years ago I stopped following baseball after being turned off by MLB and their machinations in taking advantage of fans. There's yet another contract war as part of the mix, added to the current heath crisis mess and resultant widespread uncertainty. Plus baseball and figure skating are absolutely completely different anyway. Figure skaters do not have a union nor a real voice. Yes, there is athlete representation in figure skating, but it's not the same thing.

Anyway, kudos to all the skaters who have been taking everything in stride, as they normally do when confronted by challenges. I appreciate the video Romsky made in April and submitted to a crisis-related film competition! Hats off to all of the skaters! ♥ :respec:

All any of us can do is to continue trying to grow during this uncertain time. So much is going on, it's hard to be fully aware of what's actually happening within and without during this huge global transition. Old ways of thinking are obsolete. Dramatic change is afoot. But we have to take things as they come, day-by-day, moment-by-moment.

skatingguy

decently
What about the coaches? Fed representatives? Judges? National fed medical team?
They are exempted as well.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Protests are allowed though! I wish they would relax the 50 car drive in movie limit. Everyone is already in their vehicles

But people get out of their cars to use the washroom, walk around, etc. With more cars, there's going to be less space for that kind of activity.

This is what a lot of restaurants in my area are discovering. Even with social distancing between the tables, and the servers and staff wearing some form of PPE - customers have to walk past other customers to go in and out of the restaurant, go to the washroom, go to the till to pay, and so on. The customers that are seated are socially distanced, but customers don't stay in one spot for the entire time they're in the restaurant.

Rebecca Moose

Banned Member
I bet you're a real pleasure to be around.

actually I am. everyone in the hospitality and service industries needs to blow off a little steam from time to time.

I was probably being a bitch because I was still hungover from doing shots at the bar with deleted member 78951. 😜

It’s almost as if someone came into a community, insulted its members for not agreeing with her, and was then surprised when most pushed back on unfounded condescension from a stranger.

I have to admit you guys have taught me so much valuable information here. like what kind of music my grandparents used to listen to, and what diet soda people drank 40 years ago! 🙄

there are some cool people here like aftershocks and tony but it seems like the majority here are content to have everything shut down the rest of the year and cancel everything, extremely bitter in general, and combative with anyone who dares to disagree.

I will be in Vegas in October, if there's figure skating or not.... by the way that's still more than 4 months away. some of you seem to think you know what the situation will be like so far in the future.

I hate to break it to you, but life CAN go on, if people are smart and safety precautions are put in place. I really wish my friends and family had the option to stay at home 24/7, but we can't.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This is from another thread... it's an excerpt from a longer article about changes in tennis:

The postponed Washington D.C. event would kick off the charge to Flushing on Aug. 16. The Rogers Cup in Canada will be removed from the schedule and the Western & Southern Open — normally played in Mason, Ohio — would begin a week before the Open in Flushing Meadows to create a quarantined environment for three weeks. Both the men and women normally play in Cincinnati two weeks before the Open as the last significant tuneup.

They've changed the schedule so that a series of events are happening in the NYC area. Creating this kind of travel/event bubble makes sense to me and I think it's the only way we can have a GP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information