Music I wish someone would skate to: 2020 Edition :)

Bellanca

A skater looking for something “outside the box” should consider this classic:

La Grange - ZZ Top.

Eta: Elvis or Javi could have pulled this off back in their day — and I could’ve sworn there was a skater who actually used this for a long program (free skate) Hmm, not sure. 🤔

Last edited:

shan

The American ice dance team of Kimberly Navarro and Brent Bommentre skated their long program to this in the 2006-2007 season (Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, and The End). It used to be available on Youtube, but was removed (copyright issues?). It was a really a well choreographed and skated long program. One of the all-time favorites of this rabid Beatles fan:) I would also like to see an ice dance team skate to "Something."

I loved this program so much! Whenever I hear this music, I think of that FD! :D

shan

Bellanca

Thinking hip to the trip stuff — so anything from Tangerine Dream would be heavenly. 😇

Or a smooth, easygoing instrumental piece...

If a more modern twist is desired, think Pink Floyd especially a David Gilmour influenced tune.

Please, no ear-shattering vocals or worse yet a cringeworthy cover of ear-shattering vocals. 🙉 Yowza!

ldec

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
We went to our favorite amusement park recently (of course wearing masks and maintaining distance etc.) and I fell in love all over again with the soundtrack of my favorite rollercoaster "Flug der Dämonen" (= Flight of the Demons) and I think it makes great skating music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKJwqvzIYk

The park has other amazing rides with awesome soundtracks.
"Colossos (Battle of the Giants)": the (formerly) world's highest wooden rollercoaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R4CrtjmaUw
"Scream" (one of this world's highest gyro drop towers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXyIDRwPPng
"Krake" (the Kraken): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZFmPaWQD6Y

cs.berlin

My honour is due to a great man - to see John Lord's seemingly "classic" milestones on the ice would be to my greatest delight - just one example:

alexikeguchi

I trekked in the South Caucasus last summer (my current avatar is on the trail between Mestia and Jabeshi) and was completely charmed by the rich singing and dancing tradition in Georgia. This classic dance seems like it could work as a Quickstep. Maybe the Georgian team which I believe will move into senior competition could put something together.

Bellanca

^ @alexikeguchi, I agree with you. It’s very appealing and catchy. Something like this is certainly attention-grabbing. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate and really like it!

It would be an amazing fit for the Georgian team! I think it would provide an opportunity to make a great first impression, and imagine what a contrast it would be in relation to the other teams. It's always helpful to get noticed immediately when debuting at the senior level.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I'd love for any male skater, female skater, Ice Dance or Pairs couple skate to one of my favorite songs by Dwight Yoakam. I don't know why or have a reason for it except that I love Dwight Yoakam.

Pocket of a Clown :biggrinbo

QuadTwizzle

Feel free to add on. I have wondered for years why no one has ever used this stunning opening from HBO's Angels In America for a short program. Enjoy!

Runner up: Theory Of Everything, but this may have been used at some point since the film came out. It would require judicious editing to create a long program though.

The challenge with both pieces is there are no stereotypical "Carmen" type highs or lows or big boom points in the music. Either music setting would require a skater with the ability to really command the audience and seamlessly integrate all the elements in the music context.

Bonus Fun Fact: William Aylwin's magnificent Lyra Angelica (Kwan LP 1997-1998) is in its entirety a 30 minute long concerto - most of Michelle's legendary program music edit came from the early and latter sections of the concerto.

Add your suggestions to this playlist https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2RLiK0XTZVdwTBYGCHSfSv?si=-eB-FjI-TqarmwS372CExA

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
A skater looking for something “outside the box” should consider this classic:

La Grange - ZZ Top.

Eta: Elvis or Javi could have pulled this off back in their day — and I could’ve sworn there was a skater who actually used this for a long program (free skate) Hmm, not sure. 🤔
I totally love ZZ Top and that song. I have the Fandango and the Deguello albums. There's one song that I'd love to see one of the skaters perform to. I'm not sure, either, but someone might have already used it.

Manic Mechanic

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information