Shooting in Nova Scotia

skatingguy

decently

quartz

scratching at the light
CBC tv reporting several dead, including gunman and one police officer. Heartbreaking.

eta...I see the link that skating guy provided has also been updated

skatingguy

decently
Update: Suspect is dead, as is reportedly multiple others, including an RCMP Officer. CBC News is reporting that the suspect started multiple fires in a small town, that the fires were set to lure people in and then the shooting started. The local fire departments had to let the fires burn because the scene was not safe.

skategal

Bunny mama
Devastating day for Nova Scotia.

Rumours I am reading say 8 shot and 6 dead including his former girlfriend, her partner, someone who intervened, police officer, possible person he stole vehicle from.

Rumours I have heard so far (shooter dead, RCMP officer dead) have been true.

Hoping this one isn’t. :(

skatingguy

decently
RCMP press conference ongoing - Heidi Stevenson was the RCMP Officer killed - she is married, and a mother of two. The RCMP are saying at least 10 people were killed, but that the RCMP are still searching the multiple locations where shootings occurred.

skategal

Bunny mama
RCMP press conference ongoing - Heidi Stevenson was the RCMP Officer killed - she is married, and a mother of two. The RCMP are saying at least 10 people were killed, but that the RCMP are still searching the multiple locations where shootings occurred.

Oh goodness no....so tragic.

The other rumour I heard was 11 but I wouldn’t post it here because it was so awful.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Horrible. I thought things like this happen in the US but not in Canada.

Condolences to all those affected.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The latest update I've heard was 16 dead plus the suspect. The dead were in multiple small communities and although some apparently had some connection to him, others did not. As mentioned above, the worse mass shooting in Canadian history took place on 18-19 April 2020 in my home province. Heart breaking!!

I'm thinking of all those families who, in these times of physical distancing and "stay at home", will have to deal with either no funerals or much delayed ones. Ordinarily, the death of the RCMP officer would merit a mass police funeral but that obviously cannot happen right now :cry:

2020 officially really sucks!! :sick:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
CBC News is reporting that the suspect started multiple fires in a small town, that the fires were set to lure people in and then the shooting started. The local fire departments had to let the fires burn because the scene was not safe.

That's absolutely chilling, my god.

The poor communities and families. And they can't come together for memorials or funerals. How awful.

skatingguy

decently
This is officially the worst mass shooting in Canadian history.

const-heidi-stevenson.jpg

skategal

Bunny mama
It is really really bad.

think of the worst things you could ever have related to a mass shooting and this is it.

Going door to door executing random innocent people. Impersonating a police officer.

apparently this was planned for awhile.

connection to Waco and Oklahoma bombing (same date).

its PURE evil.

I’m so glad he’s dead. I hope the police officer that got him gets a Medal of Honor.

Can’t even imagine the damage a trial would be which I’m sure he was counting on having so he could plead innocent and get his sick views in the media

Cachoo

It is really really bad.

think of the worst things you could ever have related to a mass shooting and this is it.

Going door to door executing random innocent people. Impersonating a police officer.

apparently this was planned for awhile.

connection to Waco and Oklahoma bombing (same date).

its PURE evil.

I’m so glad he’s dead. I hope the police officer that got him gets a Medal of Honor.

Can’t even imagine the damage a trial would be which I’m sure he was counting on having so he could plead innocent and get his sick views in the media

What on earth does the OKC bombing and Waco have to do with Canada? This is so despicable.

victorskid

So far only two names/identities officially released - the 23-year RCMP veteran who had two children under 16 - Const. Heidi Stevenson; and Lisa McCully, an elementery school teacher (grades 2 & 3 or 3 & 4).

Last edited:

Japanfan

Just what we need in the time of pandemic - a Canadian going on a mass shooting spree.

At the moment I feel the world has gone insane.

Such a senseless loss of a life. The 23 year old police officer who died was beloved in her community, and seemed lovely in the clips I've seen of her.

:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

victorskid

Such a senseless loss of a life. The 23 year old police officer who died was beloved in her community, and seemed lovely in the clips I've seen of her.

:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

She was an RCMP veteran of 23 years service, not a 23 year old officer. She was a mother of two who are both under 16, I believe.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
This article is giving updates on the victims

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6wyyqj8

I hope this part of the story is incorrect:

"Lisa Owens, a neighbour, called 911 to report an explosion and gunfire at the home around 8 a.m. Sunday. She said 911 took her information and patched her through to EHS who asked her to go over and determine whether an ambulance was needed.

"I had to go over and look at them, and tell them. Verify that, you know, there was no signs of life," Owens said."

It sounds unbelievable that they would ask someone to go to the scene of an explosion and gunfire to check if an ambulance is needed.

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
So far only two names/identities officially released - the 23-year RCMP veteran who had two children under 16 - Const. Heidi Stevenson; and Lisa McCully, an elementery school teacher (grades 2 & 3 or 3 & 4).
Lisa McCully went to the same church camp that I go to every summer 💔💔💔 Even though I live in a different area of Nova Scotia the whole province is in mourning. Nova Scotia strong

skatingguy

decently
Some of the people who died. :cry:

lisa-mccully-1.jpg

Lisa McCully Lisa McCully/Facebook - Lisa was a school teacher at Debert Elementary School.

heather-obrien.jpg

Heather O’Brien. Heather O'Brien / Facebook - Heather was a nurse.

jolene-oliver-emily-aaron-tuck-nova-scotia-shooting-victims.jpg

Left to right: Emily Tuck, 17, and her parents, Jolene Oliver and Aaron (Friar) Tuck. Facebook

victorskid

This article is giving updates on the victims

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6wyyqj8

I hope this part of the story is incorrect:

"Lisa Owens, a neighbour, called 911 to report an explosion and gunfire at the home around 8 a.m. Sunday. She said 911 took her information and patched her through to EHS who asked her to go over and determine whether an ambulance was needed.

"I had to go over and look at them, and tell them. Verify that, you know, there was no signs of life," Owens said."

It sounds unbelievable that they would ask someone to go to the scene of an explosion and gunfire to check if an ambulance is needed.
I saw her interview on CBC. She was already at the scene - she and her husband were neighbours who had arrived to check out the scene (having heard gunfire/explosions) and found another neighbour on the ground outside the burning house. She called 911 from the scene, gave details, and was put through to EHS who asked her to check for signs of life.

According to the current RCMP press conference, the death toll is now "in excess of 19", all adults, including the "subject"; and the investigation involves 16 crime scenes including 5 structure fires, mainly houses. More deaths may be confirmed in the course of the investigation.

Last edited:

Skate Talker

As far as the comments about the history of the date, I have thankfully heard nothing from the news media here even speculating about this.

Just a further note - the Prime Minister has asked all media to refrain from using the suspect's name or photo for obvious reasons. @skatingguy - not sure how you feel about that but if you agree with the request perhaps you might reconsider your link in the first post. Personally I think the victims and their lives and loved ones are the more important story.

skatingguy

decently
As far as the comments about the history of the date, I have thankfully heard nothing from the news media here even speculating about this.

Just a further note - the Prime Minister has asked all media to refrain from using the suspects name or photo for obvious reasons. @skatingguy - not sure how you feel about that request but if you agree with the request perhaps you might reconsider your link in the first post. Personally I think the victims and their lives and loved ones are the more important story.
I can't edit that post anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information