Shooting in Nova Scotia

aliceanne

How did he happen to have a mocked up RCMP car? That doesn’t fit with the narrative that this was an impulsive act. Did no one notice or question the car before this incident?

skatingguy

decently
How did he happen to have a mocked up RCMP car? That doesn’t fit with the narrative that this was an impulsive act. Did no one notice or question the car before this incident?
I'm not sure about why it wasn't noticed, but his properties did include garages. He actually had 4 cars that were the proper model for an RCMP cruiser, and as for the decals, the specs are on the Government of Canada website so companies can bid to create them, so anyone could have used them to create an authentic looking vehicle.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm not sure about why it wasn't noticed, but his properties did include garages. He actually had 4 cars that were the proper model for an RCMP cruiser, and as for the decals, the specs are on the Government of Canada website so companies can bid to create them, so anyone could have used them to create an authentic looking vehicle.

IIRC the RCMP know which company sells the plastic that decals can be printed on, but they want to find out who did the actual printing, because (for obvious reasons) the RCMP logos and car designs are copyrighted.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
More information was given out in a press conference today - the police now know that he made his escape from the Portapique community by driving through a field within 9 minutes of their arrival on site. He hung out most of the night in an industrial area in the community of Debert before setting off to his next target area. They have received lots of video from homes, businesses, etc. to help track his moves.

They have identified some 435 witnesses to date and have interviewed about half of them, some in the USA where he got most of the guns (semi-automatic pistols & long guns). There have been multiple interviews with his initial victim, variously described as a "long-time girlfriend", "common-law spouse" and "neighbour".

They are still hoping for more tips, etc.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Frank magazine has posted a number of new stories. The gunman's father says that a few years ago he was at the Portapique home with his son, and the son pulled out a huge gun and shot a bullet into the water. The father asked where he got the gun, and the son said a family friend in the US passed away and left it to him. And he drove to the US (Michigan IIRC) and got it and smuggled it across the border.

The part about the family friend passing away was true, according to the father, but he didn't believe the rest of the story, including the friend willing the gun to his son. But he wasn't about to argue.

Apparently there was a period of about five years where the son and his parents were completely estranged, but no one in the family will say anything at all about what happened or how they reconciled.

One of Frank's reporters also recalls a previous story that they wrote about the gunman. He had a long fight with the city of Dartmouth about the unusual signage on his denturist clinic - the big set of teeth on the corner of the building. He had to get a planning variance to get the sign approved and spent a lot of time and money fighting his case. He got the sign in the end but was quite bitter about the whole process.

Janbo

go big or go home.
I saw several too the first time I read it but perhaps we saw a really early "version".

Nova Scotia - I don't really travel anymore but I have always wanted to visited our Atlantic provinces. My thoughts are with you all.

A lot of us could use a visit, a cup of tea and a hug. Come if and when you can. We'll be here, broken and bruised but still standing.

Janbo

go big or go home.
Just a sad story all around. I feel for Nova Scotia and the families/friends etc.... 😢

I feel badly for the girlfriend who was able to escape and run into the woods to hide... knowing that you might be the spark that set off this inferno, how she must feel... I hope she's alright....but he was obviously disturbed and clearly set on this path for a long time, just waiting for the right time (in his mind, anyway).

No no no. Please do NOT refer to her as the spark.

She was one of his victims. Likely a long time victim who did not feel she had the resources to escape, blamed herself or was in denial of the situation. She was NOT the spark/cause/reason.

The perceived putative causes of (attempted) femicide and ensuing mass murder are often deeply rooted in unconscious misogynistic biases. I, as a woman, feel the need to point out societal misconceptions. I am not assigning an awareness of misogyny to you. But she was not in any way responsible for the killer's actions and reactions.

Judy

Here is some early info about the public inquiry.

This is still very horrifying the events of what happened .. I’m not even talking about the police response.

I can say that the emergency alert is happening now at least my one experience with it. My phone went off and it was an alert about a murder in Carleton Place and the guy on foot armed and dangerouS was on the loose. But my immediate response was omg he’s near me .. then googled and it was Carleton Place. So very briefly terrifying but at least they used it. My ❤️ is with those poor families and Nova Scotia. And those kids.

Judy

The wounds are still very raw here in Nova Scotia and also tons of anger of course. Don't know if I'll ever trust the RCMP again
Can I ask why? I know the police car was mortifying to me that day. I fully respect your feelings too 😔.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information