Potential for cancellation of Tokyo 2020

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
A response regarding the interview posted above:

The games will go on.

That’s the message from the International Olympic Committee at the start of a two-day meeting with organizers of the 2020 games in Tokyo.

“I would like to make it clear again that we are not considering a cancellation or postponement of the games. Let me make that clear,” organizing committee president Yoshiro Mori told top IOC officials in Tokyo on Thursday.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Entire post
The IOC always tries to put the best spin on things, but it cannot stage the Olympics in Tokyo if the local Organizing Committee backs out or if the Japanese Government prohibits the competition.

The Government has recently ordered schools to be closed indefinitely, and Japanese soccer league competitions have been suspended until the middle of next month.

The Organizing Committee's self-imposed deadline is three months away. A lot can change between now and then.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Agreed. Bad news come one after another day by day. Things are uncertain at this point.

manhn

Obviously, low in terms of importance, but is the World Team Trophy taking place this season?

Bellanca

The summer months could make a difference re COVID-19. There is not enough information yet as to how the virus will behave, but any talk about cancelling the Summer O's is very premature.

nimi

New IOC communique: https://www.olympic.org/news/amp/co...ee-ioc-regarding-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

Relevant bit (emphasis added):
The IOC remains fully committed to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and with more than four months to go before the Games there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage; and any speculation at this moment would be counter-productive.

The IOC encourages all athletes to continue to prepare for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 as best they can. We will keep supporting the athletes by consulting with them and their respective NOCs, and by providing them with the latest information and developments, which are accessible for athletes worldwide on the Athlete365 website and via their respective NOCs and IFs.

The statement has attracted criticism: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ep-tokyo-olympic-games-on-track-idUSKBN215107
IOC member Hayley Wickenheiser called the decision to proceed with the Games “insensitive and irresponsible” in the most vocal attack on the Olympic body since President Thomas Bach took over in 2013.
(...)
“This crisis is bigger than even the Olympics,” Wickenheiser said in a statement on Twitter. “Athletes can’t train. Attendees can’t travel plan. Sponsors and marketers can’t market with a degree of sensitivity.
(...)
Several athletes, including reigning Olympic pole vault champion Katerina Stefanidi, said the IOC decision was putting athletes’ health at risk, urging them to train as normal when entire countries have shut down to contain the virus spread.

“There is no postponement, no cancellation. But it (the IOC) is putting us at risk,” Stefanidi said in an interview with Reuters.

“We all want Tokyo to happen but what is the Plan B if it does not happen?

Stefanidi's tweet

UPDATE: IOC responds to criticism (without really saying anything...)
https://www.heraldscotland.com/spor...thlete-concerns-plans-press-ahead-tokyo-2020/
“The IOC is committed to finding a solution with the least negative impact for the athletes, while protecting the integrity of the competition and the athletes’ health.

“No solution will be ideal in this situation, and this is why we are counting on the responsibility and solidarity of the athletes.”

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I agree with the people who say that the IOC is being insensitive and unrealistic. If all the facilities are closed, there is a limited amount people can do by themselves. It's just not realistic to think athletes are going to be ready in 4 months.

snoopyskater

I agree with the people who say that the IOC is being insensitive and unrealistic. If all the facilities are closed, there is a limited amount people can do by themselves. It's just not realistic to think athletes are going to be ready in 4 months.
Why don't they postpone it until next summer? That way an Olympics is still held and it gives more planning time.

Lorac

Why don't they postpone it until next summer? That way an Olympics is still held and it gives more planning time.

I can't see it happening this summer at all - and so many of the athletes are having their training disrupted so what would be the point. Delaying it until the Autumn would be hugely problematic - so delaying until next year makes the most sense. We'll have to wait and see.

Bellanca

May countries already in their Summer have the virus now, so not so sure it will 😠
Yes, true, but they’re learning more about this terrible virus each and every day. Researchers are working feverishly to find a vaccine that works to combat the coronavirus. So I remain hopeful! 🙏

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I will be very surprised if the Olympics carry on as intended.

I assume NBC is in process of notification on the cancellation. My tea leaves come from removal of endless Olympic Channel commercials at some point last week. Simone Biles seems to have been replaced by some dim witted Kardashian or another.

Last edited:

Lorac

The IOC is getting a lot of criticism for not delaying the Tokyo Olympics including from a member of the organising committee. It is only a matter of time before it is moved and probably until next year.

ballettmaus

Yes, true, but they’re learning more about this terrible virus each and every day. Researchers are working feverishly to find a vaccine that works to combat the coronavirus. So I remain hopeful! 🙏

There is no way that a vaccine is ready by the time the Olympics roll around. And even by some miracle it were ready, athletes have to train. Most are stuck at home right now just like everyone else, so I'm assuming that the disruption to their training schedule has already been harmful. Maybe they could still catch up to the time that was lost if there was a vaccine in the next couple of weeks but that's not going to happen.

Finnice

At least here in Finland many sports facilities have been closed and it is very difficult to train normally. You can not train swimming in icy lakes or javelin throwing on snowy fields, at least not without huge risk on an injury. One Finnish athlete said that in the larger scale, cancelling Olys is just a comma mistake in Dostojevsky's Crime and Punishment, but as a person it is a huge misfortune. I can understand the athletes, but also think that it should be postponed.

mjb52

I think they'll probably cancel/postpone it but is there a reason it's urgent to do it immediately?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The summer months could make a difference re COVID-19. There is not enough information yet as to how the virus will behave, but any talk about cancelling the Summer O's is very premature.

That's great - for the northern hemisphere. There's a whole heap of countries that are just coming into cold-and-flu season, autumn and winter. And unlike the Winter Olympics, most of those countries' Summer Olympic athletes will train in their home country.

Rob

Beach Bum
So whoever gets the least out of shape wins? Not very satisfying. Simone has her own gym, she’s supposed to train by herself? Dangerous.

mjb52

I guess what I would like is a stop to the escalating panic-inducing cycle of cancellations and shut-downs. Of course no one thinks that the Olympics are going to happen or even anything scheduled for the summer, but I think a few days off from hearing it would help psychologically. I know that doesn't take into account the logistics of the situation though, or that some athletes might feel better to hear concrete news. And there is so much else to be panicked about that I suppose it doesn't really matter much at this point.

mjb52

Then turn off the news.

I didn't mean for myself, I meant the way each piece of extreme bad news impacts the collective anxiety/fear/panic of everyone, that's why I said at this point it probably just doesn't even matter since there is already so much.

ballettmaus

I don't find anything extreme or panic inducing about discussing whether or not the Olympics should be cancelled. I think it's common sense.

My fear and panic come from the fact that we aren't getting the tests that we need to be able to stop this madness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information