Re-watching previous Worlds (since we can't watch this year)

ross_hy

As the title says, since we can't watch Worlds this year, and you can't really go anywhere right now, I'm thinking about re-watching some old Worlds coverage to fill that gap. Anybody have recommendations on a good year to get started? I found a YouTube channel that has several years of ABC coverage from the 90s and 00s. I'm thinking about starting with 2001 - thoughts?

Maybe we could even create threads for some years and do a little re-judging or PBP?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm from an era where I had an entire IKEA bookshelf stacked with VHS tapes. (I think it held about 500 tapes in total.)

Since then, I have two external drives which hold about 40 times that content now.

One of my favourite events was the 2016 World Championships which I saw live in Boston.

The standard of competition across the board was amazing.

mjb52

I might just watch M & D's 1991 Worlds performance of Liebestraum on constant replay for the next 48 hours. It's so weird and almost surreal now to see the Soviet flag (and I think maybe GDR too, in the judging panel?). The last time I watched it, it really gave me a shock.

eta: Ah, no, it was FRG in the judging panel, for West Germany. Also funny boooooooos from the crowd, not happy with the scores, wanted them to be higher (B & E hadn't skated yet, so prob the judges had to save room just in case).

eta2: I will never accept that this program is anything other than the greatest that this sport has ever produced and probably one of the greatest things ever produced by humanity as a whole in all the years of our existence as a species

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I might just watch M & D's 1991 Worlds performance of Liebestraum on constant replay for the next 48 hours. It's so weird and almost surreal now to see the Soviet flag (and I think maybe GDR too, in the judging panel?). The last time I watched it, it really gave me a shock.

eta: Ah, no, it was FRG in the judging panel, for West Germany. Also funny boooooooos from the crowd, not happy with the scores, wanted them to be higher (B & E hadn't skated yet, so prob the judges had to save room just in case).

eta2: I will never accept that this program is anything other than the greatest that this sport has ever produced and probably one of the greatest things ever produced by humanity as a whole in all the years of our existence as a species

I loved how Moskvina really took advantage of Natalia's flexibility. She was a total Gumby in that program.

floridaice

I hope NBC will start showing more skating reruns on their sports channels now that there won't be any live/current events to show. Would be a great way to possibly attract new fans. Get Tanith to introduce events and provide some background info.

mjb52

Can we get access to old Worlds broadcasts from prior years through NBC SportsGold? Prob. not right? I didn't see any of the Worlds from this decade before 2018 or so and sort of want to go back and watch some in a less piecemeal way than through youtube.

olympic

One memorable Worlds for me - The ladies competition at 1987 Worlds, with Thomas and Witt skating their best back-to-back as the final 2 skaters in the LP. Thomas laid it down, only for Witt to have the performance of her life. Both going for the 3 loop. Honorable mentions to bronze-medalist Kadavy and her opening 2A-3L sequence and Trenary's 'Out of Africa' program.

ross_hy

I've made it through pairs and mens from 2001 Worlds. Here are some quick thoughts.

First of all, watching this makes me sad that skaters couldn't experience a Canadian crowd this year - they're the best!

Pairs - What a field! By my count, 9 World medalist teams not to mention Kavaguti & Savchenko with other partners.

1. Sale/Pelletier - Way to step up in front of a home crowd. Lovely program, especially love the traveling entrance to the death spiral. Her back position on the throw landings is sublime.
2. Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze - Not a big fan of Chaplin programs, but you can't deny their grace, lines, and speed. Plus, who doesn't love Moskvina!
3. Shen/Zhao - The audio was muted on my video for the free skate, but their power still came through the screen. I think they were undermarked for presentation as well. Tech content would be competitive today.

Men's - I missed Dick Button's commentary here, but Peter Carruthers filled in capably.
1. Evgeni Plushenko - Not my cup of tea, but he did what he does well.
2. Alexei Yagudin - I enjoyed the program, but too many sloppy mistakes.
3. Todd Eldredge - Skate of the night for me, not really sure why he wasn't second.

BTW, if you search YouTube for "hyacinth b", there's tons of full competition replays from this era, mainly from ABC it appears.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I hope this is okay. I'm not sharing Worlds Programs, but several of the skaters competing in this competition were Worlds and Olympic Medalists at one time or another.

I really enjoyed watching the competition when it was aired on TV, and I love everyone of the female skaters that competed. I thought we could take a nostalgic look back to 1995.

1995 Riders Ladies Championships - Oksana Baiul 2nd Program

1995 Riders Ladies Championships - Caryn Kadavy 2nd Program

1995 Riders Ladies Championships - Denise Biellmann - 2nd Program

1995 Riders Ladies Championships - Yuka Sato - 2nd Program

1995 Riders Ladies Championships - Rory Flack Burghart - Final

1995 Riders Ladies Championships - Elizabeth Manley - Final

1995 Riders Ladies Championships - Rosalynn Sumners - Final

1995 Riders Ladies Championships - Katarina Witt - Final

Marco

@Maofan7 used to post all these Worlds retrospective threads and there were many discussions in them. If someone could resurrect them from the archives, it would be great.

For me, a particularly fond Worlds was 1995. The ladies competition was insane. #1 Nicole Bobek had a spectacular short and a stunning long with a 3lutz3toe - but also 2 falls. #2 Lu Chen had another spectacular short and a stunning long - but only 5 triples, popping the 2nd lutz. #3 Surya Bonaly had a hand down on the triple in the short and stood up on all 7 triples in a front loaded program, with at least 4 URs. #4 Michelle Kwan was clean in both programs with 7 triples in the free. Her skating visibly lacked power and looked juniorish but her skating skills and musicality was good. A very hard competition to judge.

olympic

@Maofan7 used to post all these Worlds retrospective threads and there were many discussions in them. If someone could resurrect them from the archives, it would be great.

For me, a particularly fond Worlds was 1995. The ladies competition was insane. #1 Nicole Bobek had a spectacular short and a stunning long with a 3lutz3toe - but also 2 falls. #2 Lu Chen had another spectacular short and a stunning long - but only 5 triples, popping the 2nd lutz. #3 Surya Bonaly had a hand down on the triple in the short and stood up on all 7 triples in a front loaded program, with at least 4 URs. #4 Michelle Kwan was clean in both programs with 7 triples in the free. Her skating visibly lacked power and looked juniorish but her skating skills and musicality was good. A very hard competition to judge.
IIRC Olga Markova was great in the short but faded in the LP to finish 5th. Junior World Champ Irina Slutskaya finished 7th

ETA - Surprised to know that Marina Kiehlmann was still competing. She finished 13th. Freakin' was in the final group after the SP but dropped after the LP.

Last edited:

aliceanne

I have VHS tapes that I got from another FSUer. The 1983 men’s LP was exciting. Scott Hamilton was the winner, but Norbert Schramm was the surprise silver medalist (I think he should have won). Orser was probably third (with a disappointing skate). It was the first time seeing Robert Waggonhoffer -what beautiful lines and fluid skating!

The ice dance free was Torvill/Dean vs Linichuk/Karponosov, Blumberg/Siebert, and Moiseeva/Minnenkov.

T/D got all of the attention with their Mack and Mabel Program (my favorite of theirs).

Blumberg/Siebert (3rd) did a Fred/Ginger themed program which I, the audience, and the commentators appreciated more than the judges.

L/K and Mo/Min (former World Champions) were past their prime, but got held up on reputation. Unlike TD and BS they had programs with 4 unrelated music cuts to show off different dance styles. They looked dated.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)

I am planning to start redoing all the retrospectives in the next few months.

As a result of the activities of the copyright nazies, many of the video links in the old threads are dead. Hence, the new threads will have new links

briancoogaert

I have VHS tapes that I got from another FSUer. The 1983 men’s LP was exciting. Scott Hamilton was the winner, but Norbert Schramm was the surprise silver medalist (I think he should have won). Orser was probably third (with a disappointing skate). It was the first time seeing Robert Waggonhoffer -what beautiful lines and fluid skating!
I didn't know him ! I've just watched some of his programs from the 80's. Very nice, you're right !

olympic

I will always remember 2013 Worlds as the comp where the US ladies finally got 3 spots back: Gracie held it together and Ashley fell in her LP footwork (LOL) but got the job done. I won’t forget her responding to John Nicks in the K&C with ‘we did?’ and I knew what she was referring to.

I❤️Marina&Sergai

One memorable Worlds for me - The ladies competition at 1987 Worlds, with Thomas and Witt skating their best back-to-back as the final 2 skaters in the LP. Thomas laid it down, only for Witt to have the performance of her life. Both going for the 3 loop. Honorable mentions to bronze-medalist Kadavy and her opening 2A-3L sequence and Trenary's 'Out of Africa' program.
This is one of favourites, I loved Witt skating to Westside Story in the FP. Looking back her SP is so of it’s era in terms of styling.

coppertop1

I will always remember 2013 Worlds as the comp where the US ladies finally got 3 spots back: Gracie held it together and Ashley fell in her LP footwork (LOL) but got the job done. I won’t forget her responding to John Nicks in the K&C with ‘we did?’ and I knew what she was referring to.

And Kaetlyn Osmond coming through for Canada on home ice, securing two spots for Sochi. A sign of what's to come.

Seerek

1987 Worlds is one of the Worlds you can watch in its entirety on YouTube.

Here's the entire 1987 Women's long program

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information