Movie/TV awards 2019-2020 thread

VGThuy

Renee Zellweger’s performance in Cold Mountain is laughably bad and shallow. And unlike a lot of people, I actually usually like her when she’s cast well and can find her winning. But that performance was just bad and her win was a make up Oscar and rewarding an actress for being part of the community and having a string of successes and hoping for more. I don’t think people expected her to disappear for like 15 years after that.

VGThuy

You simply don’t win as many precursors as Zellweger without winning the Oscar. Not even Glenn Close won the haul Zellweger did when she was the favorite and lost last year. I think the only way to make the Oscars less predictable is to make it go back to mid-March and let the voters get sick of the favorites and winners of the precursors and for the hype to die down. But then all the precursors will do is just move their schedules back anyway...

aftershocks

Banned Member
No surprises of course for the acting awards. But that was such a heartfelt speech by Joaquin Phoenix. And so emotional at the end how he recognized his brother, River, quoting something he'd once written: "Run for the rescue, love and peace will follow..."

screech

I haven't seen any of the nominated performances in lead actress, except Scarlett's, so I don't know who deserved it. But I have to love Renee winning considering all the ridicule she faced a couple of years ago when she 'reappeared' looking a bit different. She also seems like such a genuinely nice person.

And how the hell did I forget that Rami won last year?
Olivia Coleman was just as charming as usual.

aftershocks

Banned Member
There is no indication that Ruby(or her father Storbrod) is anything other than poor white- had she been anything else it would have come up in the book.

Okay, great. Then I guess the reference to 'cultural appropriation' was playing someone who was 'poor white.' :drama:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
You simply don’t win as many precursors as Zellweger without winning the Oscar. Not even Glenn Close won the haul Zellweger did when she was the favorite and lost last year. I think the only way to make the Oscars less predictable is to make it go back to mid-March and let the voters get sick of the favorites and winners of the precursors and for the hype to die down. But then all the precursors will do is just move their schedules back anyway...
Oh I know. I just have unrealistic hopes sometimes.

VGThuy

I’m going to pretend Dern won her Oscar for Big Little Lies (yes I know she won the Emmy for it), Enlightened (should have won an Emmy for it but comedy actress was stacked back in the day) and Little Women along with Marriage Story. It makes me feel better.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Okay, great. Then I guess the reference to 'cultural appropriation' was playing someone who was 'poor white.' :drama:
I don't know about Zellweger's role, but there were complaints that a film set in the civil war having virtually no mention or visuals of slavery.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
This ceremony is dragging on and on and on. They need to get a host again next year.

aftershocks

Banned Member
So Parasite becomes the first Best Picture award for a foreign language film, where Roma settled for Best Foreign Language film last year.

Last year's winner, Green Book, is so forgettable. I had to look it up to even remember which picture won, since I knew it wasn't Black Panther or BlacKkKlansman.

Regarding tonight's ceremony overall (aside from the great recognition for Parasite, and some other awards), the Oscars keep getting more and more anticlimactic at the tail end of award shows season...

Last edited:

screech

PARASITE!!
I hope this win will lead people to see that foreign films are films. Not just 'artsy' that they only hear of at awards time, but films that are approachable and entertaining for all to watch all around the world. (and just happen to normally be more beautifully shot than American films)

VGThuy

Shame Parasite had to be the first, but the Oscars are the industry award of all industry awards and not just film fans/critics voting for their faves so it would take 92 years.

jenny12

Glad Parasite won and credit to Joaquin Phoenix. His speech was quite beautiful. (Well, at least the second half was)

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
This ceremony is dragging on and on and on. They need to get a host again next year.

Yes, when Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal hosted, they always kept things light, moving along and entertaining, even when the proceedings were still lengthy and unwieldy.

BaileyCatts

It kinda takes the excitement out of watching when you know ahead of time who is going to win every.single.award. :yawn: And if the point of not having a host was to eliminate time wasting, well ... that didn't work out too well either.

VGThuy

It kinda takes the excitement out of watching when you know ahead of time who is going to win every.single.award. :yawn: And if the point of not having a host was to eliminate time wasting, well ... that didn't work out too well either.

It honestly would have been more predictable had 1917 won Best Picture and Director but Parasite was probably the second favorite so not as much of a surprise as like say had Jojo Rabbit or Little Women won Best Picture.

peibeck

Simply looking
Regarding tonight's ceremony overall (aside from the great recognition for Parasite, and some other awards), the Oscars keep getting more and more anticlimactic at the tail end of award shows season...

"Parasite" winning Picture and Director was a bit of a surprise when "1917" has more guild (DGA and PGA) wins and the Globes coming into the Oscars.

I didn't see "Joker," but of the other nominees, I definitely thought "Parasite" and "1917" were well ahead of the others.

BaileyCatts

Once Parasite won International Film, I knew they would get Best Director and Picture.

What happened when the audience started yelling something? I was looking away from the TV and heard like silence and then cheering?

VGThuy

Once Parasite won International Film, I knew they would get Best Director and Picture.

What happened when the audience started yelling something? I was looking away from the TV and heard like silence and then cheering?

How so? I’m actually honestly asking because every time a foreign film is a contender for best pic and has a chance of winning the Academy tends to just give it Foreign Film award as a consolation and gives Best Picture to something else. Like Roma last year or Crouching Tiger 19 years ago, etc. I had a quiet feeling Parasite would break through and be the first foreign language film to win Best Picture once it upset and won Best Director over heavy favorite Sam Mandes who won all the precursors for 1917. With that, it’s screenplay win, and then remembering Parasite actually pulled off a win with SAG meaning that it had the actor support, I started to think it might break through and do it.

VGThuy

Sorry for double posting but in a ceremony full of predictable winners, it’s pretty incredible that Parasite pulled it off when 1917 swept the Globes, the guild awards (showing where producers and directors were going) and swept BAFTA (big deal since there is overlap between BAFTA and the Academy and British voters’ tastes seem to affect the Oscars every year). I think one takeaway is that a movie that really takes over the cultural narrative of the film year can pull off a win if nominated (this was one of if not the most talked about film out of the nominees and people were talking about way before people knew Oscar would nominate it or before it was award season). Another takeaway is never count out the SAG winner. Some times SAG winners don’t win Best Pic but they are a heavily important group whose winners should be given a chance in one’s Oscar pool since actors make up the heaviest proportion of the Academy membership.

I think in retrospect, the fact that the writers and American actors’ guild went with a Korean foreign language film for their awards this year just shows how broadly Parasite appealed to them and how much passion they felt for it because they don’t tend to award foreign films those awards. It also had a unanimous win at the Cannes Film Festival which hadn’t happened since 2013 with Blue is the Warmest Color (which was not nominated by Oscar). People really took to this film and some times that’s stronger than industry people awarding a well-made film their fellow seasoned industry buddy made. Also, Parasite wasn’t a Netflix film so didn’t have that working against it like Roma did. And it was probably way more entertaining for the voters than Roma was.

peibeck

Simply looking
"Parasite" winning original screenplay was also a bit of an upset, as "Marriage Story" was the odd makers leader going in.

I figured that win was the conciliatory award for losing Best Director, but instead it was the sign of the upcoming triumph for the movie. 🤷‍♂️

ETA: @VGThuy I think BAFTA still does the one-vote-for-the-winner style (and "1917" is also a very British affair) whereas the Academy has now moved on to a weighted voting system for Best Picture. I agree, the SAG precursor very much had "Parasite" as the dark horse going into tonight.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I’m not as quick with my awards trivia as I used to be, but isn’t this the first time in while that a movie won Picture, Director, and Screenplay? If there was a Best Cast award, Parasite would probably have won that too. I remember some people thinking Parasite’s chances were dead after none of their actors were able to get nominated showing lack of actor support despite its SAG nomination, but then it won SAG and then people were like maybe it does have actor’s support.

In other words, not only did Parasite win, but it won the most important awards regarding its film craft and therefore won big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information