Carreira/Ponomarenko Need a Cheer Thread

Bigbird

No chance at all! 🙅🏼‍♂️

When they first came out they had this lovely SD that had me hooked. While I appreciate the difficulty of their programs this year they really don't suit them especially the FD. They should have called in the maestro Najarro for that flamenco and as for the RD sometimes they try too hard and at other times it's just flat. Who can rescue these two from the abyss that is Igor? He did not do any favours for I/Z (in the day), Diana and Gleb should have stayed in Russia and here we have what we have. Should they look elsewhere or should they try outside choreography? I am really asking.

Lara111

When they first came out they had this lovely SD that had me hooked. While I appreciate the difficulty of their programs this year they really don't suit them especially the FD. They should have called in the maestro Najarro for that flamenco and as for the RD sometimes they try too hard and at other times it's just flat. Who can rescue these two from the abyss that is Igor? He did not do any favours for I/Z (in the day), Diana and Gleb should have stayed in Russia and here we have what we have. Should they look elsewhere or should they try outside choreography? I am really asking.
They do not have a choice but to be with Igor. They cannot move out of US because of Christina situation and there is no other place that would be better for them in US. Did not they work with outside choreographers this year?

believed

They do not have a choice but to be with Igor. They cannot move out of US because of Christina situation and there is no other place that would be better for them in US. Did not they work with outside choreographers this year?
They worked with Christopher Dean and Massimo Scali but I guess Igor is still the main choreographer, according to this article:

And while Shpilband took the choreographic lead on both programs, the team has consulted as well with Massimo Scali and, during a week in Colorado Springs, Christopher Dean — “a figure skating genius,” in Ponomarenko’s words.

chameleonster

Honestly, they seem fine to me. In their interviews they've stressed that they really wanted to up the difficulty in both programs, which they have definitely accomplished. I felt as a consequence they seemed a little gassed, particularly in the FD, but being a little low energy in August is hardly a death sentence. They used slower music for the FD than I expected-- that can work, or it may be a little too subtle for them at this point and need some reworking. It's hard to say, but I want to see both programs again in a few weeks.

Lara111

I think their FD program has potential to be incredible. Great music and choreography. Their performance is weaker than the music right now. Christina's body just tad less expressive than needs to be. Not forceful expression but organic real Spanish flavor and passion. I almost want to see Papadkis in this dance. For some reason I think she would be great in it. Anthony was good especially at the beginning of the program. His ease of movements is amazing. I really want to see how it progresses during the season.

ccpompom

New interviews from 2020 Us nationals.
NBC Sports

Ice talk Podcast

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
New interviews from 2020 Us nationals.
NBC Sports

Ice talk Podcast
I was just about to come post that article. Quadruple runthroughs is killer! More than anything I want C/P to have clean skates here because I honestly believe that if that happens, they're on the podium. They have the momentum this season, they just need to seize the opportunity. Best of luck to them this week!!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I am so, so proud of how they skated this week. That was the best they have done all season. They were absolutely on fire and would have gotten 3rd in the FD if not for that invalidated step sequence. Ugh!

If any of the top 3 decide that they want some more rest before worlds and want to skip 4ccs I'm sure Anthony and Christina would be willing to extend their season a little longer...

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I swear I almost forgot how to breathe while they were doing their twizzles. :lol: But they did those, and everything else, so beautifully. Almost everything else. @#($&#($^ step sequence!

Regardless of scores and results (and step sequences), they should be very, very proud of what they did. Onward and upward!

suki

I swear I almost forgot how to breathe while they were doing their twizzles. :lol: But they did those, and everything else, so beautifully. Almost everything else. @#($&#($^ step sequence!

Regardless of scores and results (and step sequences), they should be very, very proud of what they did. Onward and upward!

I loved seeing his mom, the goddess Marina Klimova, doing the programs with them from the stands. You could see her doing every step just by the way she moved she moved her head. Priceless:)

Wyliefan

Watching this now. Christina says she broke her foot in quarantine! I don't think she mentioned that on social media before. But it's healed now and they're back on the ice.

Sylvia

TBD
Here's the YT link to watch their chat earlier today:

ETA:

October 2019 article:

"Ponomarenko is taking the semester off from school but has been accepted at Eastern Michigan University and plans to eventually pursue business."

Last edited:

Wyliefan

I had to laugh when Christina said she had to remind Anthony to breathe when they're skating. I tend to stop breathing when I'm concentrating, too!

ccpompom

Christina did an interview with former teammate Elliana Pogrebinsky on her youtube channel. As per the description « topics include how nutritionists can help, how to deal with teammates that are also competitors, understanding the how behind weight loss, and the importance of physical therapists as well as sport psychologists » The link is down below

Sylvia

TBD
Article by Christie Sausa:

I just bumped up the "USFS ISP Points Challenge" thread in GSD if you'd like to watch C/P's recorded programs and haven't yet (click on the Competition Central link in my post & scroll down to the 2 Senior Dance opportunity secttions): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-sep-and-oct-2020.107555/page-10#post-5877588
C/P's 1st opportunity scores (placed 1st out of 4 teams): 79.91 in RD, 110.25 in FD = 190.16 Total
2nd opportunity (placed 3rd out of 7 teams): 72.46 in RD, 114.13 in FD = 186.59

Sylvia

TBD
Christina & Anthony skated in the Detroit Tree Lighting show at the Campus Martius ice rink last night (along with Karen Chen) - she included a clip of their performance to "The Prayer": https://www.instagram.com/p/CHltmaUJEOF/

The show will air locally on Friday, Nov. 20 on WXYZ-TV Channel 7 and be streamed via their Facebook page:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information