Gilles and Poirier Cheer Thread

aftershocks

Banned Member
In this SC Inside Edge interview show post SC event, Piper indicates that she and Paul "sat down with the judges" and with SC officials to find out ideas for "what they had in mind for our program." So I guess that's part of what it takes: Listening to advice from the PTB and following their advice... It's all part of the game of politics, beyond just being uber-talented and great at what you do. These fs judges and officials sure do wield an awful lot of power.

puglover

In this SC Inside Edge interview show post SC event, Piper indicates that she and Paul "sat down with the judges" and with SC officials to find out ideas for "what they had in mind for our program." So I guess that's part of what it takes: Listening to advice from the PTB and following their advice... It's all part of the game of politics, beyond just being uber-talented and great at what you do. These fs judges and officials sure do wield an awful lot of power.

Thanks for sharing this. It is interesting. It sounds like Piper and Paul and team had a clear vision of what they wanted - Canadian artist, iconic, etc. It also sounds like they were sitting down with judges and officials discussing how to improve the program they already had. Although their free dances last year and this show a "less out there" Piper and Paul, they still incorporate a number of cool and unique moments that they have always been known for. I remember Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam who had some strengths but several weaknesses - one seemed to be a not too clear picture of who they were as ice dancers. Some seem to find a compatable style that sets them apart and showcases their strengths and some show a lot of versatility in programs but the essence of what defines them is still there. I am not sure coaches, judges, officials can give that to a team.

WanderlustTO

I haven't seen the Dance yet. But I am very happy to see these two being rewarded. They have been a very creative couple for years now. Congratulations! 👏
They were really great - both programs.

I'll be honest in admitting that i've taken a while to warm up to their skating (although I've been supportive of them in competition on behalf of Canada, etc.). But I was really happy and enthusiastic when I watched their programs --- in terms of the programs themselves as well as the way they skated them.

I'm also really happy with the idea of them emerging as the top Canadian team / our best team internationally. I don't mean in terms of stepping on toes domestically - I just mean that if G & P are our #1 I think this is a good thing for Canada - and in a run up to '22 we should all be encouraged.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Fantastic (and very long) interview with Piper at the Edges of Glory Site:

She might possibly have surpassed Jason Brown (maybe!) as the most confessional interviewee:

It was such a weird year for me - I lost my mom, my grandma, two of my other dogs at home passed away. It was like, why is everything disappearing?! The dogs had been around for like 15 years, so it was just like the end of a bad year. I find it happens like that - you have a year, and it’s like they keep throwing more at you! I think it’s a test in life, like if you can get through those things, you can get through anything really. It makes all the small things seem so tiny compared to like, these big life-changing moments. Same with skating - I can’t be completely upset about having a rough day or rough session because at the end of the day, I’m doing this for fun - and obviously it’s my career right now - but people are sick, and people are going through a lot worse things right now than having a bad day.

On her former partnership with Donohue:

Zach and I were more like yang and yang! (laughs) We’re very similar - very emotional and driven - but it didn’t work for us. And we tried, we tried so hard to make it work, and again, it just wasn’t the right partnership for either of us.
At the end of the day, neither of us would be where we are without that person. They were a part of our journey in some way and again, both of us realized that we were young, we were teenagers, we were emotional - like every teenager goes through those emotional stages, and everyone reacts to different things, right? We’ve had good conversations about it that, like we were kids, you know. Zach stayed for us for a long time, and he sent me flowers after my mom passed away, so it’s just like you have an appreciation for someone - whether it worked for you or it didn’t.

kates8

Fantastic (and very long) interview with Piper at the Edges of Glory Site:

She might possibly have surpassed Jason Brown (maybe!) as the most confessional interviewee:

On her former partnership with Donohue:
Awesome interview

The Observer

New French interview today with Piper & Paul -

Article:

Video:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Posting here my response to a comment about G/P in the ice dance thread:

feels like it’s g&p year they have the right vehicle to do it

I love G/P -- they have done so much for ice dance, and they are always entertaining to watch. I think their FD last season has a similar thematic feel to this season, except looking at each program individually back-to-back, they are different. Both programs are emotionally enveloping with last year's Vincent (Starry, Starry Night) seeming more lighthearted and celebratory, while this year's FD (Both Sides Now) seems more like bittersweet nostalgia, with the possibility for redemption:
I look at life from both sides now. From win and lose and still somehow. It's life's illusions I recall. I really don't know life at all... Moons and Junes and ferris wheels. The dizzy, dancing way you feel. As every fairy tale comes real... :saint: The lyrics and the feel of their new FD is perhaps apropos for the constantly battling career G/P have had, enduring and overcoming such hard knocks (including injuries and competitive setbacks).

My favorite G/P SD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwHHN6zwgfc G/P did it first before F/G et al

This SD is also innovative and memorable:

This is probably my favorite G/P FD:

This FD is very memorable and delightful too. They are such wonderful storytellers:

Creative and experimental FD from 2016:

Last season's FD:

Winning 2019 Skate Canada FD:

G/P had me at hello:
"Come with me, and you'll be in a world of pure imagination..." :encore:
Plus, a Sweet Dreams interpretation 7 years before Manta/Johnson's U.S. Natls rendition (M/J btw also worked with Chris Dean) :D

If nothing else, Piper & Paul deserve a FS Lifetime Achievement Award! I'll be happy to celebrate them winning at least bronze in Montreal 2020!

Bigbird

I love G/P -- they have done so much for ice dance, and they are always entertaining to watch. I think their FD last season has a similar thematic feel to this season, except looking at each program individually back-to-back, they are different. Both programs are emotionally enveloping with last year's Vincent (Starry, Starry Night) seeming more lighthearted and celebratory, while this year's FD (Both Sides Now) seems more like bittersweet nostalgia, with the possibility for redemption:
I look at life from both sides now. From win and lose and still somehow. It's life's illusions I recall. I really don't know life at all... Moons and Junes and ferris wheels. The dizzy, dancing way you feel. As every fairy tale comes real... :saint: The lyrics and the feel of their new FD is perhaps apropos for the constantly battling career G/P have had, enduring and overcoming such hard knocks (including injuries and competitive setbacks).

My favorite G/P SD:

This FD is very memorable and delightful too. They are such wonderful storytellers:

Last season's FD:

G/P had me at hello:
Plus, a Sweet Dreams interpretation 7 years before Manta/Johnson's U.S. Natls rendition (M/J btw also worked with Chris Dean) :D

If nothing else, Piper & Paul deserve a FS Lifetime Achievement Award! I'll be happy to celebrate them winning at least bronze in Montreal 2020!
Here, here. I second that emotion.

Debrah

Happy Birthday to Paul!!! May this birthday be the start of his most successful, creatively productive and rewarded period to-date, hopefully this return year includes several international podium medals as well as icing on the cake -- a 2020 World podium medal!!!

yurokis40

My favorite G/P SD:

Last season's FD:

G/P had me at hello:

if Sinkats can come out of nowhere to win silver last year, they can do it as well.

lauravvv

My favorite G/P SD:

Last season's FD:

G/P had me at hello:

Thanks a lot. I loved their tango FD as well - https://youtu.be/-mqve_ytu78.

chantilly

Agreed, but there’s not that much competition for 2nd which if they skate well, they will win solidly the silver.

Debrah

Hey nobody thought they could beat H & D (USA) either; they did win gold and not just because they were at SCI, they were obviously skating better than ever, and were very well prepared + they had the superior FD. They also have a really strong RD this season making count em, 2 really great programs, unlike the current world medalists S&K and H&D who are struggling with their lackluster FD's so far. Are we all so cynical and jaded about judging in Russia that we simply can't believe there is at least a ghost of a chance Piper and Paul can beat S&K? Either way both teams will likely make it to the GPF. While I believe S&K will definitely be vigorously supported and politiked like crazy and yeah it is likely a hostile tech panel for the Canadian's, still I believe that judge's do try to do what is right on the day and thus if G&P skate well and clean enough to make their levels and get positive GOE, etc, then they will win based on the difficulty within their 2 quality programs... C&B won the FD over S&K and I do think Piper and Paul will beat them too + they may be much closer to S&K RD score, enough points for the overall win. I'm crossing all my body part's and sending out good positive energy to G&P who really deserve some respect for what they continuously bring to ice dancing! They always bring something new to the ice and their body of work in terms of amazing variety is also compelling. This just might be their break thru opportunity to prove they are worthy contender's for world podium, I hope they can push thru the door that is cracked open! GO TEAM!

chantilly

I’m basing it on the fact that S and K had a higher FD score on their premier outing then G and P on theirs in their home country. Yes they has level issues but still....

Debrah

Wow their RC gala performance of their "Vincent, Starry, starry night" FD, was probably the best version of it they have skated, due to all their many improvements this season. They are skating at a whole new level now. The gala of Vincent in Russia was just stunning, hopefully they will win over some more hearts and minds with the 3 very strong performances at 2019 Rosetelecom, maybe even a few more judges will now open their eyes and hearts to give them some well deserved love and respect.

Debrah

I have not found an individual video for their gala performance, I watched the ISU and CBC streams of their gala, they were right after Shoma Uno and the ISU was the far better quality stream, if that helps. Keeping fingers crossed that some kind soul will eventually post just their gala performance as downloading 2+ hours of RC gala just for 3 or 4 special performances is just waste of hardrive space.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
If you check the comments from the YouTube stream someone put in all the time stamps for each skater/team for the gala. Just click on the time stamp in the comment and it’ll take you right to their program.

Debrah

Still same problem as the you tube link above that I would love to download is geo blocked for those of us in Canada and likely the USA as well. Watching it is not the issue, being able to DOWNLOAD it so I can keep watching it as desired and thus also tracking progress and seeing diversity/inovation from season to season is the ultimate goal of this fan!

By the way for those wondering about SCI FD TES scores VS RC FD scores
SCI: SYTWL3 +SYTWM4 8.86
RC: L4 9.12

SCI: COSP4 8.09
RC: 8.01

SCI: OFSTL4 +OFSTM3 8.86
RC: L2 7.59

SCI: CULI4 + ROLi4 14.52
RC: 14.39

SCI: DIST3 10.88
RC: 10.60

SCI: CHSL1 3.59