Gilles and Poirier Cheer Thread

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I loooooove Both Sides Now, especially the version played during the Vancouver opening ceremonies with an older Joni, bit orchestral. I'm def. open-minded/hopeful!

puglover

I am excited about Both Sides Now and also because of who is doing it. They always seem to add that little bit extra and are excellent story tellers.

vanillashake

Banned Member
They will be under a lot of pressure this year since with Weaver & Poje's retirement they probably need to be atleast Top 5 at worlds for Canada to keep 3 pairs. Which means they need to pass atleast Chock & Bates most likely.

chantilly

Isn´t Both Sides Now the song which Emma Thompson's character listens in Love Actually? Great ambience!
Yes. But it wasn’t the original version.
It was re-recorded when Joni was older and had smoked a lot of cigarettes and lived a lot of life.

I think I liked it better because it seemed more authentic then the original version which was sung when she was quite young.

It felt more poignant to me.

Though I like both versions.

Not sure which one they are using.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Yes. But it wasn’t the original version.
It was re-recorded when Joni was older and had smoked a lot of cigarettes and lived a lot of life.

I think I liked it better because it seemed more authentic then the original version which was sung when she was quite young.

It felt more poignant to me.

Though I like both versions.

Not sure which one they are using.

It sounded like the Smokier-Joni version in the short clip I heard, but I could be wrong. And there will be edits, no doubt. I'm looking forward to it!

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
This RD isn't close to creative, it's slow, laboured and boring. Boooooooo :revenge: I want moooooore.

chantilly

Agreed^ its way early in the season.Their twiddles were a bit cautious for sure and I think I detected some timing issues in the quickstep. But it is a very unique RD I think and suits them. They definitely need more confidence and speed, but I think its very well choreographed.

It is not remotely boring IMO

Not sure about the costumes.

Having said that, I fear the judges will hate this program

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I like the music, but I feel like they could be doing even more with it. The program has some nice detail, though.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I don’t think it reflects the lyrics or what the characters are saying with the song. I have a feeling a lot of programs will have that issue since often times the showtunes will have story-related lyrics as opposed to more vague ones.

Sylvia

TBD
Jeff Dimitriou's IG post [June 3, 2019]:
“Mack and Mabel” Back in Town by Beverley Smith: https://bevsmithwrites.com/mack-and-mabel-back-in-town/
Gilles and Poirier usually work as a unit to do choreography with coaches Carol Lane and Juris Razguliaevs. But this time, they brought in renowned (off-ice) dance choreographer, Jeff Dimitriou, known for his work creating the opening ceremonies for the Pan American Games in Toronto several years ago.
“We knew we wanted to bring someone with a dance background into a program like this because it needs to be Broadway,” Gilles said. “We wanted to make sure it was very authentic.”
Dimitriou pushed them out of their comfort zones, she said. They did choreography off the ice for a full week, then transferred it onto the ice. “It’s weird having a third person in your unit, because you get so used to the choreography process and it’s going to be like this, or that,” Gilles said. “But he really mixed it up and challenged us to do something better than what we had done before. We are very happy with how it’s turned out.”

Scrufflet

I like both their programs. I'm sure they will grow throughout the season. I notice improvement in Piper's flow, in particular.
Early days, people!

puglover

Not that I know beans about choosing music for ice dance but the whole time Harry Mattick skated to the Batman selections or whatever it was - I could totally see Piper and Paul pulling that off. Next year?

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Congratulations on their well deserved gold at Skate Canada. They skated very very clean. Some might be surprised they get better scores with this FD because Vincent was such a fan favorite and emotional program but for me, the transitions and intricacies of this FD looked more difficult.

puglover

Last year I was so bummed that "Vincent" did not get the marks I felt it so rightly deserved and I am over the moon for them and their team that they won this gold medal at Skate Canada. I love, love, love their RD this year and fell in love with "Both Sides Now" on Saturday. They bring something unique every year and I hope we will start to see it being more rewarded. There has often been talk about how Skate Canada likes Paul - maybe because he is that good? I agree Piper brings the charm and personality and they are so amazing together!! So happy!!

DreamSkates

Wow, I was swept away during their free dance. Just beautiful and so moving. THAT is what dance is ultimately about.
(In my opinion). I know next to nothing about the quality or the technical side of free dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information