Reviews of Adam Rippon's 'Beautiful on the Outside' memoir

caseyedwards

Lorrie Kim doesn’t mention anything about pence or rippon being a devoutly religious and evangelical Christian who really opposes pences way of being a Christian! Wapo doesn’t mention it either. He was the first buttigieg

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Probably not in one sitting. ;) But that's very cool. I think I want the audio version. :cheer2:

It's so surreal how beloved and popular Adam is beyond figure skating. For so many years within the cloistered confines of the skating community, we knew and loved him, rooted for him to succeed and recognized his talent, his irreverent wit, and his engaging humanity. It's pretty amazing how globally-renowned Adam is now, mostly for what a lovely human being he is, not just for his skating accomplishments.

It's probably due to a mix of luck, fate, hard-won self-belief, years of preparation, strength of character, great coaches and mentors, solid-as-a-rock family and friends, engaging social media platforms, and being in the right place at the right time. Kudos and keep living your truth, Adam!

I feel so privileged to have met Adam before he became world famous, and to have witnessed his 'O' The Birds fp, live. :encore:

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

^^ Probably not in one sitting. ;) But that's very cool. I think I want the audio version. :cheer2:

It's so surreal how beloved and popular Adam is beyond figure skating. For so many years within the cloistered confines of the skating community, we knew and loved him, rooted for him to succeed and recognized his talent, his irreverent wit, and his engaging humanity. It's pretty amazing how globally-renowned Adam is now, mostly for what a lovely human being he is, not just for his skating accomplishments.

It's probably due to a mix of luck, fate, hard-won self-belief, years of preparation, strength of character, great coaches and mentors, solid-as-a-rock family and friends, engaging social media platforms, and being in the right place at the right time. Kudos and keep living your truth, Adam!

I feel so privileged to have met Adam before he became world famous, and to have witnessed his 'O' The Birds fp, live. :encore:

I'm tempted to send Mike Pence a gift basket for 'helping' to kickstart and elevate Adam's global reach as well.

Of course I am being ironic. I kind of love that the VP had no idea whom he would be dealing with, by crossing swords with the crown prince of the wicked rejoinder.

Last edited:

livetoskate

Same here, aftershocks. Adam was so nice and I got to meet him briefly before he became known. That was funny how he said he felt he was like a shy Asian girl (like Yuna Kim?). I still have an email in an old yahoo account, from Adam where he personally thanked me for my well wishes. I hope he has a great career in media or whatever he pursues.

fan

I skated at the cricket one summer, and Adam was on the session before mine. I smiled at him when he skated by, and jokingly put my arms in the air like a rippon lutz. He skated around, came directly at me in the lutz corner, did a fab rippon triple lutz, and landed with a stop, turned around and winked at me. Nice guy with a great sense of humout

aftershocks

Banned Member
... I kind of love that VP Pence had no idea whom he would be dealing with, by crossing swords with the crown prince of the wicked rejoinder.

:lol: Yes! Pence didn't realize he was messing with a badass figure skating warrior from the trenches, who also happens to be a person of integrity, courage and character. :respec:

Let's be honest, even American Pharoah weren't interested in putting up with Pence's lousy bs. :lol: AP hero, one of the nicest, most friendliest champion horses in the world bared his teeth at Pence! AP knows a human horse's ass too, when he sees one. Check out the Thoroughbred Racing thread, anyone who needs further context. ;)

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yep, I saw part of that interview. Maybe I'll catch up with the rest at some point, only because AdaRipp is so easy on the eyes, full of wit-quips, and he's a lovely person without a mean bone in his body.

Apparently, AdaRipp loves Kostornaia, and then some. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD

dinakt

Just finished listening to the Audiobook- took me just 2 days. Very much enjoyed it- it is indeed funny and I laughed a lot. It is also an interesting read. Some of it is obviously directed to a wider audience, positive message and all, but there is a lot of substance, too.
It also reminded me why I tend me root for older athletes- not only it is a longer, harder journey, but at some point they have to take absolute agency of themselves, their decisions and their outcomes, and then both success and failure are their own.
Rafael is portrayed very lovingly. Rafael saying that he'll wait for payments but Adam has to pay himself was a really beautiful part of the book.
Some omissions/ lack of descriptions are interesting- just a little window into how much more there would be to tell.
Definitely recommend.

CaliSteve

Rafael is portrayed very lovingly. Rafael saying that he'll wait for payments but Adam has to pay himself was a really beautiful part of the book.
Some omissions/ lack of descriptions are interesting- just a little window into how much more there would be to tell.
Definitely recommend.

The reason why Rafael was willing to wait for payments was the part that I really liked and made me respect Raf more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information