Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
According to Nikkansports (Japanese sports paper) IMG announced that Satoko Miyahara works with Lee Barkell. Both Barkell and Mie Hamada work as her main coaches.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Sara Honda (Marin's youngest sister, former Novice B national champion, now competes in Novice A field) announced she works with Rafael Arutunyan as a main coach. Like her sister Marin she works with Takeshi Honda as a coach when she is in Japan. Sara trained under Hamada until she moved to Arutunyan.

nimi

According to Nikkansports (Japanese sports paper) IMG announced that Satoko Miyahara works with Lee Barkell. Both Barkell and Mie Hamada work as her main coaches.
Interesting!

Short news article on Satoko's move:
Found this English summary on twitter:
Her goal is to improve her jumps and level up. She’s been training with Barkell this summer [ed. I guess after Lambiel?], and will head to US Int’l Classic from Toronto. She’ll regularly travel back to the Kansai Uni rink.

feraina

Sara Honda (Marin's youngest sister, former Novice B national champion, now competes in Novice A field) announced she works with Rafael Arutunyan as a main coach. Like her sister Marin she works with Takeshi Honda as a coach when she is in Japan. Sara trained under Hamada until she moved to Arutunyan.
Oh wow! Based on the news Marin Honda will work a lot with Takeshi Honda, and Rafael’s recent interview hinting things not going so well with Marin, I thought it was a fading and failing partnership. But it seems like the family is very committed to Rafael. Three sibling now will train with him.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
JijiSports' writer tweeted that someone around Miyahara said "She desperately wants to do 3A. That's one of the main reasons [of the move]." She'll train both in Toronto and in Japan.

ETA:
JijiSports article

Last edited:

Marco

Satoko is one of those jumpers for whom I think the 4sal is probably easier.

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Watched a Japanese TV program "Shogeki no ano-hito ni attemita (Went to meet this impactful person: I suck at English) yesterday. It featured Daisuke Takahashi. I'd say it was very interesting.
The TV crew goes to US with Takakashi, where he goes to meet Sheryl Murakami (dancer/choreographer) for his new short program. Misha Ge is there to help as well.

I loved where Takahashi goes to the dancing studio to learn his new choreo and starting rocking! He's exhausted, but "Well, it was MY request to skate to up-tempo music. I still regret my choice (laughs)"
Misha G is upfront about how some dance moves do not work on the ice. He clashes with Sheryl in a constructive way, and while Takahashi does have difficulty in translating HIS opinion in English, he clears the air between them. Sheryl and Misha both do their work, and reach an understanding in just 4 days.

Takahashi unveiled the program in a skate show this summer, and it still is unfinished, but I like it.
He says (summarized) "This program reminds me that I am 34 years old. It's so physically exhausting. Sheryl has this positive energy that makes me believe I can do it. Right now, I don't know. But I'm trying."

I hope someone can provide a link to even a few seconds of the show.

Last edited:

YukiNieve

Daisuke's new SP shown below (thanks!) - The Phoenix - it is still very new and a work in progress, but I am always amazed at how creative and innovative Daisuke has been, and the fact that he keeps challenging himself.

ostile17

Watched a Japanese TV program "Shogeki no ano-hito ni attemita (Went to meet this impactful person: I suck at English) yesterday. It featured Daisuke Takahashi. I'd say it was very interesting.
The TV crew goes to US with Takakashi, where he goes to meet Sheryl Murakami (dancer/choreographer) for his new short program. Misha Ge is there to help as well.

I loved where Takahashi goes to the dancing studio to learn his new choreo and starting rocking! He's exhausted, but "Well, it was MY request to skate to up-tempo music. I still regret my choice (laughs)"
Misha G is upfront about how some dance moves do not work on the ice. He clashes with Sheryl in a constructive way, and while Takahashi does have difficulty in translating HIS opinion in English, he clears the air between them. Sheryl and Misha both do their work, and reach an understanding in just 4 days.

Takahashi unveiled the program in a skate show this summer, and it still is unfinished, but I like it.
He says (summarized) "This program reminds me that I am 34 years old. It's so physically exhausting. Sheryl has this positive energy that makes me believe I can do it. Right now, I don't know. But I'm trying."

I hope someone can provide a link to even a few seconds of the show.

Here's what hasn't been taken down so far

It was a great show, wasn't it! I almost forgot to breathe, he is so good!
I hope he gets to compete his programs internationally.

In the meantime we will get the chance to see it on a big rink at Carnival on Ice, on October 5th.

Last edited:

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Here's what hasn't been taken down so far

It was a great show, wasn't it! I almost forgot to breathe, he is so good!
I hope he gets to compete his programs internationally.

In the meantime we will get the chance to see it on a big rink at Carnival on Ice, on October 5th.
Totally agree. I wasn't expecting anything serious. Takahashi had about 30 minutes (or more?) on screen. He also joined that cast in the studio, adding comments on the clips of his training.
My favorite scene was when Takahashi and Ge first does a run-through of the SP. Loved the 2 skaters doing the moves in synch.
It's clear that Takahashi fails to keep up with the music (and he points that out from the studio) when he shows the program to Sheryl, but it was still good.
All I'm hoping is that it doesn't get too exhibition-y, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the links. :)

ostile17

Totally agree. I wasn't expecting anything serious. Takahashi had about 30 minutes (or more?) on screen. He also joined that cast in the studio, adding comments on the clips of his training.
My favorite scene was when Takahashi and Ge first does a run-through of the SP. Loved the 2 skaters doing the moves in synch.
It's clear that Takahashi fails to keep up with the music (and he points that out from the studio) when he shows the program to Sheryl, but it was still good.
All I'm hoping is that it doesn't get too exhibition-y, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the links. :)

Dai and Misha skating to the steps side by side was a precious moment indeed!

I doubt it will get more exhibition-like than this especially when when a 3A and a combo will be added. If anything, I think some move may go when more demanding jump elements than he showed at FOI are included.

Dobre

Major kudos to Sota Yamamoto for making the very long climb back from serious injury. The U.S. Classic is the U.S. Classic & performances are spotty at best with the altitude; but pretty incredible to see Sota back landing axels and quads in combination. :)

Marco

Major kudos to Sota Yamamoto for making the very long climb back from serious injury. The U.S. Classic is the U.S. Classic & performances are spotty at best with the altitude; but pretty incredible to see Sota back landing axels and quads in combination. :)

I had forgotten how beautiful his skating was. So glad he is returning to form. Those quads and axels that he landed were beautiful.

Much like the ladies - the JPN men's team is also going to be a hard battle between Hanyu, Uno, Takahashi, Tanaka, Tomono, Mura and Yamamoto.

kittyjake5

^^Mura has retired from competitive skating. He has been touring with Mao’s Thank You tour and doing shows in Japan.

Marco

^^Mura has retired from competitive skating. He has been touring with Mao’s Thank You tour and doing shows in Japan.

Thanks. I remember reading it somewhere now that you have mentioned it. :p

Great then - 6 contenders instead of 7.

nimi

Obviously Dai embarking on an ice dancing adventure with Kana is the BIGGEST skating news right now...

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...cer-with-kana-muramoto-after-jan-2020.106070/

...but that's not the only Japanese ice dance news today!

Remember when Ko/Ko had to withdraw from Autumn Classic because of concussion issues? Well, looks like Komatsubara is feeling better and has been allowed to resume training! :cheer2:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
2019-2020 International Scores so far-

MEN
Yuzuru Hanyu 279 Autumn
Keiji Tanaka 249 USFS Intl
Yuma Kagiyama 245 JGP
Sota Yamamoto 240 USFS Intl
Shun Sato 217 JGP
Mitsuki Sumoto 209 Ondrej Nepela
Kazuki Tomono 203 Lombardia
Kao Miura 185 JGP

TBD- Shoma Uno (FIN), Daisuke Takahashi, Koshiro Shimada (NEB), Tatsuya Tsuboi?, Yuto Kishina?

WOMEN
Rika Kihira 224 Autumn
Satoko Miyahara 204 USFS Intl
Kaori Sakamoto 194 Ondrej Nepela
Rino Matsuike 193 JGP
Nana Araki 181 JGP
Tomoe Kawabata 177 JGP
Chisato Uramatsu 171 JGP
Wakaba Higuchi 164 Lombardia
Mako Yamashita 163 Ondrej Nepela
Mana Kawabe 163 JGP
Rion Sumiyoshi 161 JGP
Moa Iwano 157 JGP
Azusa Tanaka 125 JGP

TBD- Mai Mihara (GP), Marin Honda (NEB), Yuhana Yokoi (FIN), Ayaka Hosoda?, Yuna Shiraiwa (GP)

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

I wasn’t sure where to post this but Nobu Oda posted this on his twitter and I’m really curious what’s going on.
Apparently he resigned from his coaching position at Kansai University rink?
Anyone have any more info?

Spun Silver

I wasn’t sure where to post this but Nobu Oda posted this on his twitter and I’m really curious what’s going on.
Apparently he resigned from his coaching position at Kansai University rink?
Anyone have any more info?
How painful! Surely a wonderful coaching opportunity will open up for such an amazing skater, but he is so distressed he doesn't realize that yet. Hurry up, skating gods, and send Nobu a crystal parachute!

Marco

I wonder what's causing the conflict between him and the University / rink. I hope his students aren't affected and I also hope he gets to coach happily going forward.

denise3lz

Now down to 5...

Good for Taka-san. Good for the fans. And good for Japan's medal chance at the Olympic team event in 2022.
Please not to count out Koshiro Shimada who is assigned to 2 GPS (Skate America and NHK Trophy) and silver at a CS (Nebelhorn Trophy).

And Yuma Kagiyama and Shun Sato both landed quad in competition and qualified to JGPF.
They are age eligible for Senior.

So it is actually EIGHT.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I've been hoping that Utana and Shingo would qualify for one of the three available dance spots at the Youth Olympics (since Japan obviously didn't do well enough in dance at 2019 Junior Worlds to get an automatic berth), but adding up the results so far they're on the knife's edge and may miss out (though it may be that some of the countries who have qualified won't have an entry).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information