Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

On a personal level I'm really psyched Meghan included Francesca Hayward in her Vogue magazine. I'm a big ballet fan and haven't seen Hayward live but what I have seen of her is exquisite.

Here's a video about her:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Hell, yeah. On my way home, I'm going to pop down to the newsstand in Pike Place Market to see if they carry the magazine.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
On a personal level I'm really psyched Meghan included Francesca Hayward in her Vogue magazine. I'm a big ballet fan and haven't seen Hayward live but what I have seen of her is exquisite.

Here's a video about her:

But I'm disgusted that she included Jane Fonda. What has she ever done that was so inspiring? Be a movie star after riding in on her father's coattails? Betraying the US? I'll always think of her as Hanoi Jane.

mella

I wonder what she'll do - pick photos? SFAIK, she has no experience as a magazine editor.

Isn't that the norm for these celebrity guest editors? I don't imagine Kate or Beyonce have any expertise in the field either...

canbelto

Fashion magazines like VOGUE have an extremely rigid potted formula for articles. I'm sure Meghan was given a template to work from. The women chosen would have gotten their glamour shots, their profile content (usually there's space devoted to one personal life issue, space for work/life philosophy, and a subtle plug of a fashion brand). And of course there's assistant editors. Before @aftershocks comes after me with a pitchfork, I'm not saying Meghan didn't do a great job with this edition. I think she did. But just that "guest editing" really isn't that hard.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... Before @aftershocks comes after me with a pitchfork, I'm not saying Meghan didn't do a great job with this edition. I think she did. But just that "guest editing" really isn't that hard.

There you go again with the intentional button-pushing. Frankly, no pitchfork is needed to challenge you to guest-edit a major fashion magazine for their distinguished and highly important September issue. And to do so while in the final stages of your first pregnancy. And then follow through on completing the work post giving birth, and while nursing and nurturing your baby. Don't forget that you must also do this while being the punching bag focus of much of the British media, and with huge interest in your every move existing in the minds (whether gutter-filled, or expansive with open hearts) of people around the world. Do this even as you navigate the inner workings of an ancient, exclusive, and historic family institution in one of the more important western countries of the world -- in fact, in the most high profile and enduring monarchy in the world. I challenge ya!

In lieu of listing all of Meghan's other eye-opening accomplishments both before and after her marriage to sexy, scruffy, charming, macho, down-to-earth Prince Harry, suffice to say: The Duchess of Sussex is not perfect but she's pretty 'bad-ass' amazing. I'm not the only person who thinks so either. Below is just a smattering of recent supportive online commentary (each passage is a comment by separate individuals):

"[Meghan] worked on this for seven months, apparently. I really like the message here. These are some fantastic women to spotlight. She knew that she’d catch heat whatever, but she’s been very much behind the scenes, [at work]… And yes, some people have been snide ... but there are also a lot of journalists clapping back [at the critiques] and supporting her..."

"Charles, Harry and Kate all guest-edited [for media outlets] but people are losing their minds over Meghan doing this. It's hilariously sad."

"It’s not hilariously sad. It’s infuriating."

"People are so easy to comment with negativity. And assuming things. I will never understand that part of it – assuming you know someone, analyzing them instead of getting involved with the theme… If you have to be critical at least have something to say other than just being vile..."

"The commentary around Meghan on The Mail is honestly deranged and quite frightening at this point."

"They are too hateful and petty to understand that they are actually helping Meghan to become more famous and causing a lot of people to defend and support her. I predict this issue of British Vogue will sell an insane amount of copies. I know I’ll be purchasing one as soon as I can find it."

"This Vogue is going to sell extremely well, even for September. I think the mirror spot is her spot. She gave her spot to YOU. I think she’s fcuking brilliant and I can hardly wait to see what she does next! Get ‘em, Meg!!!"

mag

Oh dear Harry, some things are better left unsaid:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with planning how many children you will have and nothing wrong with considering the environment when making choices, but, seriously, why, oh why would you announce it to the world? Yet another example of wanting one thing (to keep one’s private life private,) and doing something else (announcing private information to the world.)

JJH

If Prince Charles throughout his lifetime may voice his concerns about the environment, then it seems reasonable to me that Prince Harry may voice his concerns about the environment stemming from overpopulation.

Also, it may decrease the number of times the tabloids speculate about Meghan's possible future pregnancy.

Japanfan

If Prince Charles throughout his lifetime may voice his concerns about the environment, then it seems reasonable to me that Prince Harry may voice his concerns about the environment stemming from overpopulation.

I would think the royals and those who serve them have lot of practices that could be more environmentally friendly. Just for starters: Do they buy only organic? Do they ride in electric cars?

mag

Also, it may decrease the number of times the tabloids speculate about Meghan's possible future pregnancy.

Absolutely he can. I just don’t think saying a “maximum of two” was a wise decision. First, because if they oops and have a third that child will one day read that they are an oops. Second, because his brother has three and there are already many rumours of a rift, why add fuel to the fire, and finally, again, one more time for the people at the back, both Harry and Megan have made a big deal about privacy. If you want your private life to be private, keep it private. Harry could have done the interview, and made the same points, without revealing details about their family planning. He has opened up the discussion and it will be very hard to put it back in the box.

I would think the royals and those who serve them have lot of practices that could be more environmentally friendly. Just for starters: Do they buy only organic? Do they ride in electric cars?

Totally OT, but buying organic is not necessarily environmentally friendly, and electric cars, where the electricity is produced by coal fired generation plants are not environmentally friendly. Unfortunately there are many people “trying hard” to save the environment only to end up doing more damage than good.

Vagabond

Why don't you research these things and get back to us? :saint:

At least one senior member of the royal family is himself an organic farmer.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Do they buy only organic? Do they ride in electric cars?

The British royals definitely grow and possibly only eat fresh organic veggies. Read up on all the agricultural projects Prince Charles busied himself with for years with the Duchy of Cornwall. The little blue jaguar was an electric vehicle -- the one in which Harry drove Meghan over to Frogmore House from Windsor Castle, for their evening wedding reception. I don't know whether all of their vehicles are electric, probably not. But the vehicles they drive or are driven in are the height of luxury, and probably environmentally friendly as possible in their design and fuel consumption (for those that are not electric).

Oh, I wrote the above before seeing Vagabond's apt reply. :p

Meanwhile, I came across this very delightful documentary with former royal chef, Graham Newbould (he died in 2015 at age 82). Newbould worked for the Queen and later for Prince Charles and Diana PoW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbP3-1S7dk

If you enjoy food and culinary entertainment, it's a fun watch. I definitely want to try some of these recipes, starting with the fish and chips (from an old recipe the Queen ate with her family growing up), and the yummy looking 'potato jackets' loved by Diana. Graham Newbould is such a warm and engaging host/chef/narrator too. It's clear how much satisfaction he experienced cooking for the royals and their guests. :D ETA: Take note of the reference to Prince Charles flying in all the fresh organic produce from his farm when he's staying at one of the castles in Scotland. 🥦🥕

In other news, the latest sussexroyal Instagram post features a sweet photo of Prince Harry with Dr. Jane Goodall, along with an explanation of the conversation they had as requested by Meghan DoS for the September British Vogue:

"HRH the Duke of Sussex and Dr. Goodall spoke candidly about many topics including the effects of unconscious bias, and the need for people to acknowledge that your upbringing and environment can cause you to be prejudiced without realising it... Dr. Goodall has created and encouraged a global youth community to recognise the power of their individual strength – that each day you live, you can make a difference."

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Oh dear Harry, some things are better left unsaid:

Yeah, probably. I had heard they would possibly try for at least one more, or perhaps two more children. But clearly, when the topic came up during his conversation with Dr. Goodall, Harry expressed how his perceptions and expectations had changed after the birth of his first child. He may not have given the idea of how many children he would have much thought previously. In any case, Meghan is fast approaching 40 years old. While it's certainly possible for them to try for more when she's past the age of 40, all-in-all, they have apparently decided to only try for one more child.

Possibly having a boy already helps them with that decision. However, they appeared to both either want a girl for the first pregnancy, or they weren't too concerned about the baby's gender. If they are only having one more child, I really hope it's a girl. It's nice to have one of each gender. But they will surely be happy to just welcome another healthy baby regardless of its gender.

ETA:
The full promo video for September 2019 British Vogue:

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Announcing the number of children (max) doesn't take into the equation the possibility of twins or multiples. Son had twins - not due to fertility drugs, natural occurrence with no history of twins in her family. That's not a good announcement to make. Things happen that aren't to plans.

canbelto

There's a lot of "oops" babies that happen with the over-40 crowd too. Many couples become lax about birth control, thinking chances of getting pregnant are nil, and oops, there's a baby.

mag

While it's certainly possible for them to try for more when she's past the age of 40, all-in-all, they have apparently decided to only try for one more child.

I will point out here that if @aftershocks, fan extraordinaire, has interpreted this as “try for one more child,” I rest my case. :biggrinbo (I am teasing here, please do not take offense)

Harry said a “maximum of two.” That could mean only one. What if they end up deciding to have only one, or maybe they won’t be able to conceive again? This is why it is best to keep private stuff private. I am sure Harry meant no harm. He just needs to think a little more before he speaks.

Oh, and to be absolutely clear, changing one’s mind and / or fertility issues are nothing to be ashamed of and there is absolutely no reason they shouldn’t tell the world. It is just that they have said they want privacy so it is a bit of a mixed message, and if they do end up wanting to keep their baby making or lack of baby making private, well, the cat is already out of the bag so to speak so reporters may feel it’s okay to ask questions. (Which it never is really okay to ask, but, again, the waters have been muddied a bit.)

aftershocks

Banned Member
There's a lot of "oops" babies that happen with the over-40 crowd too. Many couples become lax about birth control, thinking chances of getting pregnant are nil, and oops, there's a baby.

:lol: That happened to a cousin of mine many years ago. She became pregnant at the age of 45 with her fifth child, when they weren't planning to have any more children (but had relaxed a bit thinking another pregnancy wasn't likely at her age). Oops, she had always been fertile. The baby was healthy and it was another boy. She already had three boys and one girl. Everything worked out fine, except the youngest was a bit spoiled (as younger kids usually are).

In other news, more has been revealed surrounding the British Vogue issue. Omid Scobie tweeted the latest:

And his offering has subsequently been picked up by other news outlets:

Plus, on a DoS blog:
"Smart Works was on Meghan's mind every step of the way... in a [feature in BV] about the organisation 'The Smart Set', the Duchess revealed she has partnered with several leading British retailers to launch a capsule collection of workwear to benefit the [Smart Works] charity."

This would be Meghan's third fashion capsule collection, since before she met Prince Harry, she had collaborated with Reitmans (department store) in Toronto to create two separate capsule fashion collections, both of which sold out:

http://www.meghansmirror.com/special-feature/meghan-markles-reitmans-collection-part-i/ 1st collection
http://www.meghansmirror.com/special-feature/meghan-markles-reitmans-collection-part-ii/ 2nd collection

Jessica Mulroney introduced the first collection by Meghan for Reitmans in April 2016 on a Toronto talk show:

Plus Meghan's fashion tips overlay video of her modeling her first capsule collection outfits for a promo photo shoot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgreGrTL7R0 That she happened to say, "tone on tone is not just for the Queen," is very ironic. She had no idea that becoming the Queen's granddaughter-in-law was in her future.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Harry said a “maximum of two.” That could mean only one. What if they end up deciding to have only one, or maybe they won’t be able to conceive again? This is why it is best to keep private stuff private. I am sure Harry meant no harm. He just needs to think a little more before he speaks.

Sure, but I give Harry some slack. The topic came up during the conversation with Dr. Goodall and he responded honestly. And both Harry and Meghan apparently are okay with it since the comment wasn't edited out. Of course, anything can happen in the future. It's not as if they organized a press conference to reveal their baby planning strategies. As well, the comment was made in connection with Harry's concerns about what we are facing environmentally with the spectre of global warming. I think more conversation should be focused on why Harry has adjusted his thinking about the number of children he brings into the world. In the original article you linked, these words by Harry are rather chilling, even though he's talking about 'boiling up' being in the world's future:
"[Harry] said destruction of the environment was 'terrifying,' adding: '... We are the frog in the water and it's already been brought to the boil.'"

I'm not even the most exuberant 'fan extraordinaire,' as you term it, of the DoS. I'm one of hundreds of thousands at the very least, or millions. And I'm certainly not the most vocal admirer of Meghan, nor do I have the highest stature. With that in mind, I randomly happened to notice that our Kween, Michelle Kwan, follows the sussexroyal Instagram. ;)

My God, some of the backlash in the British papers and online about Meghan guest-editing British Vogue is beyond the bounds. It led to this report and interview: https://www.channel4.com/news/bisho...-prince-harry-for-speaking-out-against-racism
"Meghan is a strong, intelligent woman, and she happens to have a strong, intelligent man by her side..." Hudson-Wilkin

The bishop designate being interviewed, Rose Hudson-Wilkin, was or still is the Queen's personal chaplain, and she is one of the ministers who read a prayer at M&H's wedding. I wish she had been allowed to give the wedding address, but typically female ministers aren't chosen for such a task apparently. I wonder as a bishop whether she might have been extended the honor? She surely would have done a great job and not gone over the time like Bishop Curry.

ETA: Oh my, I love the Suits gif of Meghan with the dialogue caption: "I don't always do what people expect me to do." :love: https://twitter.com/cool2_b/status/1156290630596751360
Judging by the supportive and lovingly enthusiastic Twitter reactions, the new capsule collection by Meghan in collaboration with several retailers (including her friend and designer, Misha Nonoo) should be produced in large quantities because it's going to sell out too -- and bring in lots of money for Smart Works, and the women in need who are being helped to find jobs and to have nice clothing to wear to those jobs. I hope Meghan puts together another cookbook for her charities too. I had an inkling that Meghan wasn't just laying back at Frogmore taking care of Archie, Harry, and their dogs. She is a workaholic with a can-do attitude and creative ideas.

September British Vogue can be purchased online for shipping from newsstand.co.UK for approximately $15 per Meghan's Mirror blog info directed to this link: https://www.newsstand.co.uk/251-Glo...ubscribe-to-VOGUE-Magazine-Subscription.aspx#

The issue is also available for download via Apple's app for IOS devices (about $3).

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
OMG! Could there be a smaller tempest in a teapot? Sharing that you only want 1 or 2 kids is not letting ppl into your private life. It's a very common question & answer. After a 1st child parents are often asked if they will have more. It's kind of an invasive question IMO but most ppl answer. How many of you would say the question is rude or intrusive? At the least you would say "we're not sure" right now. Can Harry or Meghan open their mouths or hold their baby without someone picking them apart? They have plenty of criticism already. Do we have to read it on this board?

canbelto

If there's one part of royal watching I can't get behind it's the constant intrusive "baby watch." Like with Kate I remember some royal watchers were "relieved" that Kate's first born was a boy. Like that ... matters? And this whole "she needs to do her duty and provide a spare." It's the same way with the Japanese royal family where there was handwringing about one princess only having daughters, and if the laws should be changed to allow female heirs to the throne.

It's honestly quite medieval.

Winnipeg

Re the comment by Harry about having a "maximum of 2" kids..my interpretation was he was admonishing William/Kate for having 3 (too many in his opinion for the environment). Sort of being a critique of them from his superior more knowledgeable position.

I hope W and K have a 4th!

And we still do not know if Archie has red hair. After all of this.

Jenny

From the Bloc
If there's one part of royal watching I can't get behind it's the constant intrusive "baby watch." Like with Kate I remember some royal watchers were "relieved" that Kate's first born was a boy. Like that ... matters? And this whole "she needs to do her duty and provide a spare." It's the same way with the Japanese royal family where there was handwringing about one princess only having daughters, and if the laws should be changed to allow female heirs to the throne.

I don't mind baby watch as a general concept because I think a lot of people just really like babies, consider them a blessing and want others to be happy. Even "the spare" talk, while rather crude, I can sorta see as I think it's something a lot of people can relate to.

But I totally agree with you on the point of this continuing idea - which the Queen herself does not support! - that it's important to have a boy first. Medieval indeed.

Which is why I must say I was rather :huh: at this from Meghan's #1 fan:

Possibly having a boy already helps them with that decision.

canbelto

Yeah, if Archie had been, say, Rachel, would it mean Meghan and Harry would automatically try for another whereas having Archie made the pressure less? I mean, I understand parents wanting sons and daughters but I really hope we're past the days of thinking female royalty is somehow less than male royalty.

Certainly the queen doesn't think so. Princess Royal Anne is probably her closest companion.

Lorac

I actually remember it differently. The law had already been changed here in the UK so that the first born of Kate and William would be the heir to the throne regardless of sex and many royal watcher were disappointed that they had a boy first!! I really don't think here in the UK and in many European royal families there is as much pressure to have boys instead of girls. Sweden changed the rule and the Crown Prince was demoted with his elder sister being promoted to being the heir. Of course there are some that still need a male heir - Monaco springs to mind. And Japan set their own mess by passing a law in 1947 to refuse to allow a woman to sit on the Chrysanthemum Throne as Empress in their own right even though in the past their have been female rulers and their entire royal line is suppose to spring from the Sun Goddess Amaterasu. They can remedy their crisis very easily!!!

Yeah, if Archie had been, say, Rachel, would it mean Meghan and Harry would automatically try for another whereas having Archie made the pressure less? I mean, I understand parents wanting sons and daughters but I really hope we're past the days of thinking female royalty is somehow less than male royalty.

Certainly the queen doesn't think so. Princess Royal Anne is probably her closest companion.

I disagree with the Princess Royal being the Queen's closest companion - not that she's not close but Anne has always been more of her father's favourite. Many royal watchers believe that Lady Sarah Chatto is one of the Queen's closest companions - who is the daughter of her sister Margaret. They are reported to being very close as this 2016 article details.

Queen's affection for Lady Sarah Chatto

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
But I'm disgusted that she included Jane Fonda. What has she ever done that was so inspiring?

Opposed thousands of Vietnamese and Americans dying in a pointless war. Pity you can't direct your disgust at the successive US governments who sent their own citizens off to kill and die needlessly.

And she's a good actress in her own right. :p

MsZem

I see the sea
Of course there are some that still need a male heir - Monaco springs to mind. And Japan set their own mess by passing a law in 1947 to refuse to allow a woman to sit on the Chrysanthemum Throne as Empress in their own right even though in the past their have been female rulers and their entire royal line is suppose to spring from the Sun Goddess Amaterasu. They can remedy their crisis very easily!!!
Monaco does not need a male heir; they have male-preference primogeniture (which is why Princess Gabriella is not first in line to the throne), but women can still inherit.

Prince Hisahito's birth delayed things in Japan, but eventually there will have to changes in the succession to the Chrysanthemum Throne. They have three people in the line of succession.

Many royal watchers believe that Lady Sarah Chatoo is one of the Queen's closest companions - who is the daughter of her sister Margaret.
Chatto :) and of no real relevance, here's her beautiful wedding dress from 25 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information