Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

Spiralgraph

It puzzles me why Wilson didn't choreograph Jason's last year's program utilizing all Jason's flexibility and performance ability. I have trouble believing DW was unaware of Jason's abilities before Jason moved to Canada for coaching. Where has Wilson been for the last five years? Heck didn't he even watch Jason skate his SP? Doesn't he watch and appreciate other skaters or does he just have tunnel vision for his own skaters?

Maybe it was DW's (and the coaching team's) deliberate choice to move away from Jason's strengths and try something different. That decision didn't go well, obviously.

But I'll still give DW a chance to choreograph a memorable program for Jason. The decision isn't up to us anyway.

katmari

Maybe it was DW's (and the coaching team's) deliberate choice to move away from Jason's strengths and try something different. That decision didn't go well, obviously.

What I've gleamed from interviews last year by Jason/Brian/Tracy is that the LP was constructed to help Jason in the transition between coaches/jump technique/skate technique. In that goal, it succeeded very well. His jumps look better than ever and he moves with more speed. As you say, it was not a success on the artistic side because they moved too far away from Jason's strengths.

I think the LP also suffered by being compared to Jason's SP which was a masterpiece. I know that' true for me. The SP showed how good Jason could be which made the LP even more of a disappointment.

I am hopeful that this year's LP will be better.

IMO, Jason was just going with the flow last season, and not wanting to rock the boat because he's there to learn and he didn't want to complain or rebel about anything. Jason does not have a selfish nor a rebellious personality. We do know that Jason's initial reaction was that he didn't feel a connection to the selected S&G music. Still, he was open to going along with it because he has such a laid-back, easygoing, empathetic personality.

I agree. :)

Last edited:

RoseRed

This. I don't understand why David Wilson seems to be forced on some the Cricket skaters. Yuzu never uses him. Evgenia has escaped his clutches for the coming season.
Why do you assume he's forced on them? The Cricket team has clearly demonstrated many times that they are perfectly willing to work with other choreographers.

Evgenia worked with Misha Ge, and seems to be working with Averbukh for a program this season. Yuzuru has been working with Shae-Lynn and Jeff Buttle for his competitive programs, Gabby Daleman always works with Lori Nichol, Conrad Orzel and Joseph Phan have both worked with Jeff (and Joey Russell for Conrad - another TCC choreographer), Javier Fernandez worked with Antonio Najarro for a program, their dance teams have worked with Romain and Marie-France. And Jason has kept working with Rohene.

That's a whole lot of different choreographers that they've worked with recently. I'm sure they like working with David, but if a skater wants to work with someone else, we have no reason to think that would be a problem.

skatfan

A quick scan of Hanyu's wiki reveals that David Wilson has choreographed Yuzuru's exhibition programs for the past several years and that the last competitive program Wilson choreographed for him was his 2013/14 Olympic season Romeo & Juliet FS.

I say give Wilson a second chance. :)

Ok Yuzu hasn’t used him competitively in a number of years - which is what I was focused on.

I’m curious what competitive programs he’s done recently that folks like?

wickedwitch

A quick scan of Hanyu's wiki reveals that David Wilson has choreographed Yuzuru's exhibition programs for the past several years and that the last competitive program Wilson choreographed for him was his 2013/14 Olympic season Romeo & Juliet FS.

I say give Wilson a second chance. :)
I'll give him a second chance because it's not my decision, so I have no choice. But I believe Hanyu made the right call on dropping Wilson as a choreographer for his competitive programs. I've enjoyed his post-Wilson LPs far more.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I don't know how "recent" it is, but I love love love loved DW's Guys and Dolls for Javi. And I would rather see DW's most boring snooze fest than anything Averbukh has done:shuffle:

I forget what interview it was with Jason, but at one point it sounded like TCC really didn't know Jason's strengths. As in, they didn't know how good his splits were and therefore did not put them in a program.

So I agree everyone gets a second chance. This is yours, David Wilson:D

skatfan

I don't know how "recent" it is, but I love love love loved DW's Guys and Dolls for Javi. And I would rather see DW's most boring snooze fest than anything Averbukh has done:shuffle:

I forget what interview it was with Jason, but at one point it sounded like TCC really didn't know Jason's strengths. As in, they didn't know how good his splits were and therefore did not put them in a program.

So I agree everyone gets a second chance. This is yours, David Wilson:D

Ah yes I loved that program of Javis. Thanks for the reminder!

As you say it was really puzzling that the Orser team gave him such blah choreo - it’s not like he was a newbie on the scene. Perhaps it is as others say that they focused on changing jump technique.

Mad for Skating

Wilson has done some good work, so I’m willing to give him a chance. I think he just struggled to bring out Jason’s it-factor, which is probably because he had never worked with Jason before. Growing pains.

Tavi

If I recall, Jason said that TCC was an appealing option in part because they knew very little about him and would see him with a fresh set of eyes. That makes a certain sense - he was looking to reinvent himself - but how little they apparently knew seems a bit surprising. At the same time, I’m not sure it’s all down to them - it’s possible that after a disappointing season, Jason himself lost sight of the value of his strengths and signature moves. The good news is that the quality of his basic skating and triple jumps has noticeably improved, and his 3A appears more consistent and secure. I just hope his unsuccessful 4S attempts in the SG program won’t get into his head too much, and that he’ll be able to finally land it in competition next season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Jason and Rohene together at a rink in Oakland, CA (presumably to work on SP choreo + new exhibition programs). Hopefully, we'll know what the music is for the SP in the next few days.

Thanks for sharing this info katmari. Does anyone know Michelle Hong's background. Is she a former singles skater?

Sylvia

TBD
Coach Michelle Hong (who shared the Jason/Rohene photo on her IG this past Monday) was a Pacific Coast Sectional singles competitor through the Senior level and led the UC-Berkeley collegiate (Cal) figure skating team until her graduation. (She has shared the IGTV video conversations she's had in the past few months with Mariah Bell and Sean Rabbitt and I've posted the links in the U.S. Ladies and Men's threads, respectively.)

Coach Michelle filmed a conversation with Jason while he was in Oakland and should be sharing something in the near future. :)

Michelle's inspiring story as a skater who transitioned to coaching after overcoming personal challenges when she first started college is on her website: http://www.coachmichellehong.com/new-page

Sylvia

TBD
SP music announced! Short Program 2019/2020 🎸
🎼: I Can’t Go On Without You (@officialkaleo)
Choreo: @roheneward

Live version of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpG9QRV9gTk

katmari

Jason performed at Sun Valley last night and did his new SP. Here's a few clips showing parts of it:

The beginning (last clip)

The ending (5th clip) + Clip 4 looks to be Jason doing a new EX to Greased Lighting

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think the LP also suffered by being compared to Jason's SP which was a masterpiece. I know that' true for me. The SP showed how good Jason could be which made the LP even more of a disappointment.

Clearly demonstrated by Jason usually skating the sp exquistely all season long, with high placement, followed by less than satisfying fp results. It all culminated in an exciting second place finish by Jason at the 2019 World championships, followed by a 14th place finish in the fp, landing him in 9th place overall. Program music selection and choreo choices are incalculable and invaluable factors to performance success.

vanillashake

Banned Member
Does anyone think if Jason had his peak in 2007-2010 he could have won lots of golds and the 2010 Olympics? Quads were not needed then as Lysacek and Buttle proved. Poor guy is stuck in the wrong era. His skating is so gorgeous, but with no quads or just 1 quad, you just have no chance competitively speaking today.

VGThuy

Does anyone think if Jason had his peak in 2007-2010 he could have won lots of golds and the 2010 Olympics? Quads were not needed then as Lysacek and Buttle proved. Poor guy is stuck in the wrong era. His skating is so gorgeous, but with no quads or just 1 quad, you just have no chance competitively speaking today.

I definitely do, but then Jason and his coaching may have benefitted from building on what was established by the men who competed during that period and prior. So we don't know if he'd be the exact same skater we are enjoying now.

vanillashake

Banned Member
I definitely do, but then Jason and his coaching may have benefitted from building on what was established by the men who competed during that period and prior. So we don't know if he'd be the exact same skater we are enjoying now.

That is a good point. And I think he might be more remembered and admired years from now than skaters with more medals. The enjoyment level of his skating is good enough for me, beyond medals. And he seems super happy and not bothered by the lack of medals, which is a great thing.

Tavi

@vanillashake, I don’t think anyone who’s truly a fan of Jason’s gorgeous skating would ever “pity” him - or think he pities himself - for having been born in the wrong era. Nor would most people conclude that he uprooted his life and coaching situation last year because he’s not “bothered by the lack of medals.”

Sylvia

TBD
Olympic Figure Skater Jason Brown’s Parents Reveal Their Secrets For Creating Happy Kids (August 8, 2019): https://www.teamusa.org/News/2019/A...-Reveal-Their-Secrets-For-Creating-Happy-Kids
Happiness might just happen on Happiness Happens Day, an annual event which takes place on Aug. 8 and is meant to encourage happiness all day long, but 2014 Olympic figure skating bronze medalist Jason Brown attributed his happy and positive attitude to his parents. We talked with his mom and dad, Marla and Steve, about five ways they made happiness happen in their home.
:)

IFS article by Robert Brodie (Aug. 10, 2019): https://www.ifsmagazine.com/jason-brown-risky-business/
Excerpts:
Given the direction of the sport today, Brown knows quads will have to be part of his own arsenal. He now works on them every day and he is hoping to have one in each of his programs next season. The quad Salchow is likely to come first (Brown had that quad in his long program last season), but said, “we’re exploring more of them, and honing in on the technique and the base. Hopefully, it pays off.”
Fortunately, he has Hanyu, one of the planet’s great quad masters, at the Cricket, and the Japanese star is always happy to share his insights. “I watch when he does them, and after our sessions he’ll come to me and sometimes he’ll give me advice,” Brown said. “He’ll say things like ‘good job’ and give me a little pep talk. It’s special and it’s neat to have that support.”
“As far as a non-results based goal, just building my consistency. Last season, I struggled a lot with all the changes, and it took me half the season to start getting into the flow of it all.
“It wasn’t until Four Continents and Worlds that I truly started rotating my quad Salchow. It was just at those last competitions where I thought, ‘Oh, I’m building that momentum.’ That’s really my biggest goal, to start the momentum a little earlier and to be able to build upon that sooner in the season.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information