The Pointless and Petty Annoyances Thread

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I hope my grandmother had an 8th grade graduation a century ago, since she finished her schooling at that point and went to work. As was not uncommon at the time.
I think that is where the tradition was started as many did not go on to high school. High school back then was like college is now.

Susan1

I guess what gets me about it is how it seems like so many people have forgotten what the word “Memorial” means.
I don't know how old you are, but it used to be called "Decoration Day" and it used to always be on May 30. My mom (and everybody) always put flowers on any relative's grave. I don't know when I connected it to military service.

Wait - wikipedia - "The preferred name for the holiday gradually changed from "Decoration Day" to "Memorial Day", which was first used in 1882.[65] Memorial Day did not become the more common name until after World War II, and was not declared the official name by Federal law until 1967.[66] On June 28, 1968, Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which moved four holidays, including Memorial Day, from their traditional dates to a specified Monday in order to create a convenient three-day weekend.[67] The change moved Memorial Day from its traditional May 30 date to the last Monday in May. The law took effect at the federal level in 1971.[67] After some initial confusion and unwillingness to comply, all 50 states adopted Congress' change of date within a few years."

Memorial Day means Indy 500 to me. We used to listen to it on the radio in the car to my aunt's house 100 miles away for a family reunion. Way, way back, we had to go get my cousins out of school for the day. Maybe they didn't know Memorial Day was changed to that Monday? Or maybe because the school was across the Ohio River in KY and they wouldn't change? And now the Indy 500 is on Sunday. Changes. Whatever...........

Miamisburg also does Veteran's Day stuff, but not large scale without the 3-day weekend.

I had a middle school graduation many years ago, and to this day it still means a lot to me.
I went to a Catholic school second through eighth grade (they didn't have a first grade when I would have gone). We had a graduation mass with a procession, and a breakfast. 23 kids. I still have the program in my box of everything grade school.

Susan1

@Susan1 Do you live in Ohio? I live near King's Island and work near the Dayton Mall.
Yep - Miamisburg. Haven't been to King's Island for years. If I had anybody to go with (and pay for it), I'd go just to ride The Beast in the dark. And I'd be covered with bruises and not be able to walk or use my hands for a week!

A.H.Black

Memorial Day means Indy 500 to me. We used to listen to it on the radio in the car to my aunt's house 100 miles away for a family reunion. Way, way back, we had to go get my cousins out of school for the day. Maybe they didn't know Memorial Day was changed to that Monday? Or maybe because the school was across the Ohio River in KY and they wouldn't change? And now the Indy 500 is on Sunday. Changes. Whatever...........
My grandmother's house. Parnelli Jones

BaileyCatts

I cannot stand that freaking m'er f'ing beer commercial where that damn girl whispers!!!!! It actually makes me angry! I can't grab for the remote fast enough when I see that damn commercial start to make sure I hit the mute button before that bytch starts whispering! I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE that damn commerical!!!!!

:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

Japanfan

People who toss chicken bones on the street/sidewalk. First of all it’s gross. Second, it’s littering. Third, my dog keeps trying to eat them and they are not safe for her! And I have to keep pulling them out of her mouth. 😡

Chicken bones and other things, and food wrappers.

I was training my dog using the chest harness for awhile, so he was free to move her face as he liked. Those walks were a culinary adventure for him. I had to stop using the harness (didn't work well for him anyway).

PDilemma

Our new priest likes to sing at mass. A lot more than previous ones. Early mass doesn't have musicians so there has often been zero singing. Our last priest made us sing a processional and recessional. This new guy made us sing that plus a lot of the parts of the mass and a communion hymn. I have no issue with this. I actually kind of like it.

But my husband is going to complain about it nonstop for the 6-12 years the guy is here. (Fingers crossed he's here that long, the last two have not made a full term and left abruptly--both for personal reasons not issues in the parish). And I really don't want to listen to it every week.

Susan1

Here’s one that I have that fitting for this upcoming weekend (in the U.S.):

This is literally my only annoyance as a U.S. Navy Veteran (and I swear I’m not anything like veterans who stereotypically get offended with people who aren’t “patriotic” enough): People who say “Happy Memorial Day”. And at least one person will say it to me every. single. year.

It’s called Memorial Day for a reason. Because people have died in military service. And thinking about that (especially if it was a someone who was their friend or family member) makes those people really, really sad. Get it? :mad:

"President Donald Trump on Tuesday wished "Happy Memorial Day" to U.S. service members aboard an American assault ship docked in Japan. "
Cause they are taking the day off work and having a picnic? :wall: Maybe they are golfing. :rolleyes:

ilovepaydays

"President Donald Trump on Tuesday wished "Happy Memorial Day" to U.S. service members aboard an American assault ship docked in Japan. "
Cause they are taking the day off work and having a picnic? :wall: Maybe they are golfing. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, my inbox was littered with “Happy Memorial Day!” and “Celebrate Memorial Day with a XX% off sale/Free Shipping!” emails from various businesses.

Susan1

Two came to mind watching storm coverage last night and this morning:
1. Those big banners at the bottom of the screen that block half of whatever it is they are showing you. One of them said something about you can see the ............. No, we couldn't. It was behind the banner. So is Miamisburg half the time on the radar because it's at the bottom of the coverage map, unless they are zoomed in here. (FYI - we didn't even have any rain or wind. I wouldn't have known anything was happening if the loud emergency beep didn't come on the t.v. at 11:05 a.m. i wasn't watching any local channels, or I would have been totally panicked from 9 p.m. on. I fell asleep (as usual) watching a Blue Bloods rerun on a cable channel.)
One time they had a story about a moose somewhere where it wasn't supposed to be, and they were all "look at that" and "how cute". We got a big blue banner that told us there was a moose on the loose (hiding behind that banner?).
2. I don't know if it's the same female reporter every time (I was flipping through three channels last night), but I keep hearing somebody(ies) say "whenever" instead of "when" on the local news. "This happened whenever the storm came through....." No, whenever is not specific. When means WHEN it happened. Whatever! ha ha

Susan1

Yesterday, my inbox was littered with “Happy Memorial Day!” and “Celebrate Memorial Day with a XX% off sale/Free Shipping!” emails from various businesses.

There is a post on FB about this now:
Many of the comments mentioned how it wasn't happy. Nobody mentioned that many of the "memorials" here were caused by Japan.
:duh:

Lucy25

People who toss chicken bones on the street/sidewalk. First of all it’s gross. Second, it’s littering. Third, my dog keeps trying to eat them and they are not safe for her! And I have to keep pulling them out of her mouth. 😡
Ummm...who does that?? Is that common where you live?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I'm old and grumpy tonight....rap "music" where a) you can't make out the words because they don't enunciate, b) the bass us pounding a non rhythm, c) jumping around holding their junk.

Yeah I'm old

Peaches LaTour

ITA. I hate "we" are pregnant because it's factually not true.

I actually like this phrase because it is an acknowledgement that, no, a woman does not get herself pregnant, a belief that many anti-choice, GOP politicians seem to hold.

When a man says "we" are pregnant he is accepting the 50% responsibility he has for the existence of that child. As well he should.

Peaches LaTour

Chicken bones and other things, and food wrappers.

I was training my dog using the chest harness for awhile, so he was free to move her face as he liked. Those walks were a culinary adventure for him. I had to stop using the harness (didn't work well for him anyway).

Litter of any kind annoys me. I get really angry that people treat the earth like their personal garbage can. I spend a good portion of my walks picking up litter.

Susan1

I think everyone can agree that this is not "pointless and petty"!!! But, thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention here.
I understand the logic, but I still don't like it. In my view, it belies the fact that a woman alone carries a child and bears the physiological/biological cost of pregnancy.
Bugs me too. The correct terminology would be "we are expecting" or "we are having a baby" or "we are going to be parents", like it has been for hundreds of years. It is physically impossible for the man to "be" pregnant.

Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

Commercials/advertisements that say "the fam" instead of "the family" annoy me. It just sounds stupid.

Litter, particularly cigarette butts dumped out anywhere and everywhere. Two of my friends live in a beach community and walk the beach every morning and pick up litter. They tell me they pick up an astonishing amount even with all the trash cans everywhere. The other day, they picked up a large amount of butts, a $20 bill, and a brick. Who brings a brick to the beach?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Someone who needs something to hold the blanket corners and keep it from blowing away?
But they should clean up

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information