Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

Confirmed it is for a competitive program, just unsure if sp/fp
I’d say short program is maybe more likely, as he’s had “Run Boy, Run” for two seasons and is due for a replacement. He’s tended thus far to keep one program per season, which would suggest retaining the free — though since he’s now competing internationally maybe that will change.

screech

Kudos to Nam on reaching a new personal best (87.57) in his SP at the WTT. He ranked 7th, but was less than 2 points from 4th. One big thing keeping him from being there was that he has his lowest scoring jump element as his last one (triple flip), while the others had bigger jump elements as their last one, therefore getting more bonus points. I also hope he gets his quad toe going again for next year (and continues to work on his speed. Huge improvement this year, but still a lot of work to be done).
And also huge props to Keegan (79.75) for continuing to be the biggest cheerleader, irregardless of how he himself skates.

Japanfan

By the way - Don't know if Kurt Browning was just having a bad stretch or if he really has no clue about the IJS rules but he made some strange comments during the Men's Short. Maybe he just doesn't bother to keep up with the changes but for me that should be an essential part of his commentator gig. If a former skater can't understand the rules, how will Joe Public ever learn anything to help them understand the sport?

For example, after Kolyada turned his opening 4T into a bad 3T, Kurt thought he could still do another 3T as the second part of his combination, whereas Kolyada rightly only did a 2T so as to score an eligible combo. Then during the Ladies Free he couldn't remember the terms "back-loading" and "distribution of highlights".

Kurt is all about Kurt. And I don't think he is a detail sort of guy. He's an entertainer and self-promoter through and through.

I get the feeling that Kurt would have been really horrible at skating under IJS. Unlike Jeff Buttle who knew the rules inside and out and even mid competition was able to adjust and maximize his points as he went along. (Is Kurt the new Nobunari Oda?)

If he'd grown up with IJS, he would have learned to deal with it, though how well - who knows? SFAIK Kurt learned compulsory figures, so anything is possible.

Colonel Green

I also hope he gets his quad toe going again for next year
Well, looks like he’s trying to grant your wish. He went for a quad toe at WTT; doubled it, but you’ve got to start somewhere.

Keegan closed out an up-and-down season on a high note.

Too bad they both couldn’t have skated like that at Worlds, but what’s done is done. Now they both have to gear up for the battle at 2020 Nationals.

coppertop1

I know it's early to talk about next season but I wonder if Skate Canada will do a skate off at 4CC for the lone spot in Montreal?

mag

I know it's early to talk about next season but I wonder if Skate Canada will do a skate off at 4CC for the lone spot in Montreal?

I believe 4CC’s is in Korea next season. I doubt SC will be sending the one man they hope will get back 2 spots half way around the world and back right before Worlds.

RoseRed

I believe 4CC’s is in Korea next season. I doubt SC will be sending the one man they hope will get back 2 spots half way around the world and back right before Worlds.
Our top skaters don't generally skip 4CCs, even when it is in Asia. They'll send the top guy - the WS points will be important for Worlds start over, for one thing.

Colonel Green

It’s hard to know how much, if any, weight they’d put on 4CC without knowing what the season leading up to it looked like.

The most likely case for them going the “more data” route and keeping it open until 4CC would be if the nationals winner (or top senior, if Stephen won) was a total fluke without much of a track record otherwise.

Japanfan

The most likely case for them going the “more data” route and keeping it open until 4CC would be if the nationals winner (or top senior, if Stephen won) was a total fluke without much of a track record otherwise.

It's entirely possible that Stephen might win, and it wouldn't be a total fluke.

And it not a desirable outcome, as it speaks poorly to the Canadian men's field, and because Stephen may not maintain his jump consistency after he goes through his growth spurt (which happened to Nam).

mackiecat

Japanfan, you have misread Colonel Green’s post. He is saying Skate Canada might look at body of work if a black horse either won or placed second to Stephen ( thus the highest placing age qualifying man)

skatingguy

decently
I think Gogolev winning nationals next year might be the best outcome - than Skate Canada could send the top 3 age eligible men to Four Continents and have a chance to evaluate those 3 skaters in an international competition instead of just sending the National Champion to the World Championships

puglover

I think Nam had other problems as well as growth. Plus, he is quite tall and he had a lot of change to contend with. Stephen will assuredly grow but he may not face as many issues.

Colonel Green

I think Gogolev winning nationals next year might be the best outcome - than Skate Canada could send the top 3 age eligible men to Four Continents and have a chance to evaluate those 3 skaters in an international competition instead of just sending the National Champion to the World Championships
Does that really make much of a difference? They could do that every year, if they wanted to (the Russians do, with Europeans). By Nationals all of these guys will have had a number of events under their belt for the year; they'll know roughly what their capabilities are, on average.

Reactions: mag

barbarafan

It's entirely possible that Stephen might win, and it wouldn't be a total fluke.

And it not a desirable outcome, as it speaks poorly to the Canadian men's field, and because Stephen may not maintain his jump consistency after he goes through his growth spurt (which happened to Nam).
apples and carrots.....Stephen is hard working and dedicated and listens to his coaches. He has already grown a lot (he was so squishy when he started changing level groups he came up to his competition's waists and his jumps are tweaked and modified as he grows) He is getting these results with min. jumping and going long periods without quads at time if he has a spurt. He does loads of off-ice to strengthen those growing legs.
Nam refused to do off ice training as his father told him it was not necessary and he only listened to him and played on social media and had a great time reaping the rewards of his publicity instead of working hard. Hence his invitation to leave TCC and suggestion to move out of town to train. He has gone through multiple coaches since .No wonder.

skatingguy

decently
Does that really make much of a difference? They could do that every year, if they wanted to (the Russians do, with Europeans). By Nationals all of these guys will have had a number of events under their belt for the year; they'll know roughly what their capabilities are, on average.
That's true that Skate Canada could do this every year, but Skate Canada's current team selection is to guarantee a spot for the National Champion, and with only one spot for the men for next year and so many men that are approximately the same level I'd really like to see a skate off. In addition, the early part of the season is not always telling regarding how skaters will do at the World Championships.

chewy

According to TSL, Gogolev has switch to Raphael. Lee Barkell has left the Cricket Club. He was the primary coach for Orzel.

I actually listened to a TSL broadcast for the first time to see what they said about Barkell. I doubt this is news to anyone but Dave Lease sure is a speculative gossip. However I am not surprised that Lee has left, he is not one to be in anyone's shadow. It has been interesting watching the split up of the Mariposa juggernaut over the past few years.

barbarafan

I actually listened to a TSL broadcast for the first time to see what they said about Barkell. I doubt this is news to anyone but Dave Lease sure is a speculative gossip. However I am not surprised that Lee has left, he is not one to be in anyone's shadow. It has been interesting watching the split up of the Mariposa juggernaut over the past few years.

I wonder what his source is.....and if he was given the ok to make it public

Rock2

Dave is connected but doesn't reveal his sources typically. When sources tell him 'you cannot repeat this' he has become much better at not saying anything. I would surmise that one of his sources might be Doug Haw I think his name is, who has been on the show and has some sort of friendship/coaching relationship with Brian and the TCC.

I did see on twitter that an obscure junior US skater posted that he has many contacts at Raf's rink and that Raf typically doesn't take any skater on unless they visit, try out, discuss the skating etc. He was adamant in posting that Gogolev has not been to Raf's rink so he's not buying that coaching change has happened.

Having said that, if Lee is in fact leaving, I would imagine this opens the door for several skaters to re-evaluate their coaching situation.

Some interesting shakeups likely this summer with the news of Lee and Bruno/Meg. Popping the corn as we speak. I'm here for it.

barbarafan

I’ll likely be at the cricket tomorrow. I’ll ask and see if there are any truth to the rumours
Thanks....I have just listened to TSL where they brought this up yuk yuk over half an hr of garbage to get there. He states Lee resigned and he had rec'd an offer to go to the Granite Club but doesn't know if he accepted that offer or if he is going somewhere else. He said that Gabby would go with Lee and that Stephen was already with Rafael. No mention of the others under Lee.

barbarafan

Dave is connected but doesn't reveal his sources typically. When sources tell him 'you cannot repeat this' he has become much better at not saying anything. I would surmise that one of his sources might be Doug Haw I think his name is, who has been on the show and has some sort of friendship/coaching relationship with Brian and the TCC.

I did see on twitter that an obscure junior US skater posted that he has many contacts at Raf's rink and that Raf typically doesn't take any skater on unless they visit, try out, discuss the skating etc. He was adamant in posting that Gogolev has not been to Raf's rink so he's not buying that coaching change has happened.

Having said that, if Lee is in fact leaving, I would imagine this opens the door for several skaters to re-evaluate their coaching situation.

Some interesting shakeups likely this summer with the news of Lee and Bruno/Meg. Popping the corn as we speak. I'm here for it.
I wondered about Doug Haws as he doesn't seem to watch what he says. Dave said Stephen is with Rafael now??

greenapple

Doug Haw and Brian Orser have been friends for decades so it would seem reasonable that Doug would know what is going on at the CC. Gogolev is still in Toronto. He probably has to finish his school year before going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information