The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

Crossposting from the Israeli Skating News thread . . .

Ichilov/davidovitch split. He’s on IPS.

Naturally this is because I just posted about how none of the 1st year dance teams had split yet. (Perhaps it's better not to make it to Worlds during your first season???)

Urban Queen

Banned Member
Until this last season, I only watched ice dance at the Olympics. I loved Gabriella and Guillaume's programs, although her "Janet Jackson moment" was unfortunate. Tessa and Scott were wonderful as well; they emote with power and precision. I thought these two teams' long programs showed how music with or without vocals can be spectacular.

However, my favorite of all were the siblings from the U.S. who got the bronze. (I believe Aftershocks would refer to them as Ma and Al Shibu-san, LOL!) I miss their charming performances.

I came to this thread hoping to learn from others, but instead I see people hurling (I presume) insults to each other in a language I cannot comprehend. Surely this behavior is, if not actually prohibited by this board's rules, a disservice to a sport about posture, etiquette, and compatibility.

While I am willing to learn about Asian cultures to understand figure skating, you will not find me browsing books or online pages instructing one on the finer points of swearing in any language, thank you very much.

I am eager to see some fun musical numbers next year. I hope there will be a few Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber selections. I've been a fan of his work for decades and once saw a community theater production of Jesus Christ Superstar that changed my life.

Viscaro

Okay honestly I am home from a party and drunk and all of these messages makes no sense but once again I feel like I must defend the French language.
mine: you’re constantly spinning conspiracy theories (in your mind)

google: you are continually bent on conspiracy theories (in your mind)

Toi et Google vous plantez complètement sur la traduction. You and Google got it all wrong and it is rare because Google is a translator that is getting more and more reliable. « On te rabâche » means that people speak about conspiracy theory again and again to her. Rabâche is also a negative word, so it means that she heard it about it so much she got sick of it. As to who that « on » is, it can be one person or more, it is undetermined, my guess is Didier, but it is not her and that is clear to any French speaker. Even a drunk one.

Tinami Amori

Nö! :biggrinbo Mein Deutsch ist besser als Ihr Französisch ... :sheep:

ich denke sie haben keine vernunftige erklarung, warum P/C kein "poor-sport" ist ..:p

Toi et Google vous plantez complètement sur la traduction. You and Google got it all wrong and it is rare because Google is a translator that is getting more and more reliable. « On te rabâche » means that people speak about conspiracy theory again and again to her. Rabâche is also a negative word, so it means that she heard it about it so much she got sick of it. As to who that « on » is, it can be one person or more, it is undetermined, my guess is Didier, but it is not her and that is clear to any French speaker. Even a drunk one.
I did get that what they try to say, in "other words" was "with all the conspiracy theories floating about judging, we're negatively affected in our thinking". But it is not welcomed when one does not try to stick to translating as close as possible to the text.

They said plenty of other things that should not have been said.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Okay honestly I am home from a party and drunk and all of these messages makes no sense but once again I feel like I must defend the French language.

Toi et Google vous plantez complètement sur la traduction. You and Google got it all wrong and it is rare because Google is a translator that is getting more and more reliable. « On te rabâche » means that people speak about conspiracy theory again and again to her. Rabâche is also a negative word, so it means that she heard it about it so much she got sick of it. As to who that « on » is, it can be one person or more, it is undetermined, my guess is Didier, but it is not her and that is clear to any French speaker.
I was always taught that unless it's used as a substitute for nous, on translates to the passive voice/ subject understood. But I had a very particular French professor who wanted us to stop using passive voice in writing :blah:

Last edited:

Enchanted

Perhaps it's different in Canada, because "se planter" to me does sound stronger than just "make a mistake". And my Quebecois friend from Montreal said they would translate "se planter" as "to crash and burn" or "f*** up" or "to make a significant mistake" as the mildest translation. So maybe it's just different here, since another posters who says French is their first language also found "se planter" to be stronger than just "make a mistake".

A lot of the people who have been more or less furious by this particular comment by Gabriella on Twitter and elsewhere seem to be Canadians. It's possible that they are not aware of the diffences on how it would interpreted in France. If it is indeed a milder expression in France, it is very well possible Gabriella wasn't aware either of how some Candians would interpret it.

I think this message might be useful to share here as well.

Found this Twitter reply from the interviewer about the timing of the interview and her impression.
https://twitter.com/Capspao1/status/1121062105690640384

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Excellent timing, hope to get a fresh start over there without German or French bickering.

Until this last season, I only watched ice dance at the Olympics. I loved Gabriella and Guillaume's programs, although her "Janet Jackson moment" was unfortunate. Tessa and Scott were wonderful as well; they emote with power and precision. I thought these two teams' long programs showed how music with or without vocals can be spectacular.

However, my favorite of all were the siblings from the U.S. who got the bronze. (I believe Aftershocks would refer to them as Ma and Al Shibu-san, LOL!) I miss their charming performances.

I came to this thread hoping to learn from others, but instead I see people hurling (I presume) insults to each other in a language I cannot comprehend. Surely this behavior is, if not actually prohibited by this board's rules, a disservice to a sport about posture, etiquette, and compatibility.

While I am willing to learn about Asian cultures to understand figure skating, you will not find me browsing books or online pages instructing one on the finer points of swearing in any language, thank you very much.

I am eager to see some fun musical numbers next year. I hope there will be a few Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber selections. I've been a fan of his work for decades and once saw a community theater production of Jesus Christ Superstar that changed my life.
@Aerobicidal is that you ? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information