Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

npavel

just to know, where should you seat if you want to be in front of the judges?

skategal

Bunny mama
We’ll have an easy walk from the arena to the hotel. I live in Florida so I’m not used to cold weather!

Just stayed there in October. It’s nice and super close to the arena. You can do the walk all underground if I recall correctly.

npavel

yes, I mean, how does it work in Montreal? You choose a seat or a section? Last year at Euros, I misinterpreted the arena and was sitting on the short side. I prefere the long side opposite to judges. When they are going to sell, it's better to have an idea how the arena looks like ;)

Debbie S

You can probably find a seat map of the arena on its website or online so you can see which sections are on the long vs short ends. Prior to ticket sales, the LOC will post a map of which sections are in which price levels and usually indicate which side is the judges side.

barbarafan

yes, I mean, how does it work in Montreal? You choose a seat or a section? Last year at Euros, I misinterpreted the arena and was sitting on the short side. I prefere the long side opposite to judges. When they are going to sell, it's better to have an idea how the arena looks like ;)

here is a link to seating numbers etc in general. as soon as tickets go on sale there will be diagram for the venue.
https://www.centrebell.ca/en/page/seating_chart
This is the pictures of different ways of setup for diff. events
https://www.centrebell.ca/en/page/venue_specifications

Cayuse

Tour groups will be able to purchase tickets before any offerings go on sale to the public. World competitions are particularly difficult to get good close seats due this factor. I join a tour for these big competitions. You saw a few Candadian and American fans all in one section at the most recent Worlds in Japan. It actually surprised me that any outside-of-Japan tour group got close seats, maybe a reciprocal deal for Montreal?

BittyBug

Disgusted
Tour groups will be able to purchase tickets before any offerings go on sale to the public. World competitions are particularly difficult to get good close seats due this factor.
That's not really true as much anymore, as the web has democratized seat purchases and tour volumes have declined. The LOC generally does reserve blocks of tickets for tour operators, but they are only in certain sections and generally the choicest first row and second row seats, as well as sections, are available for direct sale.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
So be sure they'll take them in rolls before you're in a similar situatio
My credit unions in the US and Canada make you unroll them.

Even before they used machines and used to weigh them, people figured out how to put blanks in the middle of and throughout the rolls to game the system.

barbarafan

Just stayed there in October. It’s nice and super close to the arena. You can do the walk all underground if I recall correctly.
If you have a hotel anywhere by a Metro...take it to PLace Bonaventure. There is an underground walkway to the arena.Much easier than parking. Backpacks are not allowed inside. Really big purses might be searched. No food or drinks are allowed. There is a Maddisons Steak house right by it. Great ribs there as well. That might be a good place if anyone wants to meet up. Capacity for hockey games are 20,000. How many people usually come to a worlds.

gatorinfl

That's not really true as much anymore, as the web has democratized seat purchases and tour volumes have declined. The LOC generally does reserve blocks of tickets for tour operators, but they are only in certain sections and generally the choicest first row and second row seats, as well as sections, are available for direct sale.

How quickly will tickets sell? Is it like concert tickets where you have to buy in the first couple of minutes once the sale begins?

skategal

Bunny mama
If you have a hotel anywhere by a Metro...take it to PLace Bonaventure. There is an underground walkway to the arena.

Place Bonavenuture in underneath the Marriott that I have booked.

Thanks for confirming the underground walkway is there to the arena! YIPPEE!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

skatesindreams

Place Bonavenuture in underneath the Marriott that I have booked.

Thanks for confirming the underground walkway is there to the arena! YIPPEE!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
Could you share the name of the hotel you booked, please?
There seem to be several Marriott properties in the area.

If I am going to try to come; location and convenience are crucial, after the "debacle" that was Boston!

skategal

Bunny mama
Could you share the name of the hotel you booked, please?
There seem to be several Marriott properties in the area.

If I am going to try to come; location and convenience are crucial, after the "debacle" that was Boston!

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yulcc-montreal-marriott-chateau-champlain/

I never did the walk to the arena but there is an elevator (a small one) in the Hotel Lobby that takes you down into the Metro Station (Place Bonaventure.)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Ooh, that's great to know there's an underground walkway from the Bonaventure station to the arena. My AirBnB is only a four-minute walk to the orange line which goes to the Bonaventure station. BTW if anyone is coming with a group and is looking for an AirBnB, there are a few other multi-bedroom apartments hosted by my AirBnB host in Le Plateau Mont-Royal neighborhood. They all have great reviews.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/57761284

quartz

scratching at the light
Just took a look at the prices for the Marriott closest to the arena and I will NOT be staying there! :scream:

Debbie S

Just took a look at the prices for the Marriott closest to the arena and I will NOT be staying there! :scream:
Yeah, the prices are a lot higher than normal rates...at least, the random dates I checked when I was first considering going. It's possible the rates might drop a bit...I've noticed sometimes when booking first becomes available at some hotels, the rates are very high and then drop. But if they know a big event is in town, the rates might just stay that high.

American Airlines apparently blacks out most Monday flights from FF awards, and morning flights generally. Which means that I could get there at either 10 PM on Mon night or 2 PM (or later) on Tuesday, so missing practice plus sightseeing time. Between that and the hotel rate (and large number of rewards points required for free nights), I think I will just go to SA and Nats and visit Montreal at another time. I'll go to Worlds when it's back in the U.S. (and maybe I'll have more money by then, lol).

BittyBug

Disgusted
How quickly will tickets sell? Is it like concert tickets where you have to buy in the first couple of minutes once the sale begins?
Front row (and maybe 2nd as well) will sell out as soon as tickets go on sale, but you should be able to get other good seats on the first day and even later, especially if you are looking for single seats.

beebee

Check out the YWCA right near arena. There’s the Hotel (private/ensuite) and the Auberge (private/shared bath). Can’t book online yet but can reserve via phone. Double Room in Hotel is $80 /night.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Bell centre is really well connected to the Metro as others have mentioned. We like to complain about it, but the Metro system here is fairly efficient and frequent, and central Montréal is not that spread out, so even if you're staying a few stops away from Bonaventure it will end up being a short commute. For example if you plan to do other stuff besides skating, I would suggest staying anywhere on the orange line in the plateau area (e.g. between the Jean Talon and Berri UQAM stops). Definitely nicer than downtown to walk around for sightseeing, food options, etc. You get the real Montréal vibe in this neighborhood! I would also avoid staying in the old port as that will be expensive, and can anyways easily be visited from wherever else you're staying. Another possibility is to check on the other side around the Lionel Groulx/St-Henri stations, near the canale Lachine area.
To get downtown from the airport, either you take a taxi (40-50 cad until downtown) or the 747 bus, or a combo of 747 bus + metro (public transport will be 10 cad).
If anyone has more questions re Mtl logistics, feel free to ask! I'm happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information