The Voice 16, Spring 2019

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’m watching the premiere. John Legend is the new coach with Blake, Adam and Kelly.
So far, I really like the Fields of Gold singer.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
John fit right in. I loved how the other coaches are afraid of him, even more than they were of Alicia Keys. My favorite was the girl who sang & rapped. I also liked the guy's voice who Adam started coaching about getting out of his head voice. I wouldn't have turned for him initially but after he was coached I see great potential. I also wouldn't have turned for the comeback girl who hadn't improved from last year. I don't know what John heard in her voice but it will be interesting to see if he can do anything with her.

I enjoyed the coaches more than that crop of contestants. Welcome back The Voice! I missed you.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
No one has really wowed me yet but I enjoyed the banter between Adam, Kelly, Blake, and John (who fit right in and did a great job for a rookie). I love that the other three are scared of him, LOL :lol:

Allskate

I didn't see last night's show. My immediate thought was that Dominic sounded like Ray LaMontagne. Which explains why I loved his voice. I thought Savannah was very good, too.

taf2002

Last night's show was pretty good but I wonder if people sound different live than on TV because there were several who I wouldn't have turned for but the judges were very excited about. I liked the little 14 yr old but she needs to come back in a couple of years & the 2 who went to the 5th judge should have gone home IMO. I liked the last guy Shawn Sounds but the 4 chair turn surprised me. Was he that good?

skatesindreams

He has the range and presence to be able to sing a variety of material; which seems rare for "The Voice".
The best I've heard, no.

chantilly

Me too. I thought this guy must have watched skating at some point to know that specific jump. But a lot of people watch skating for the Olympics and if I recall Nathan was getting a lot of hype.

chantilly

I am waiting to see the battles etc rounds because as always I’m lost at who is through etc.
There’s been some good singers but so far I have no idea who I think for sure will get through.

No one IMO has really stood out as the whole package or unique or whatever.

Personally I think Adam is hooped again. I’m getting the feeling he has yet again a weak team.

Anyway I always look forward to getting through to the live shows, despite how often I disagree with the picks.

But so far I’m much more invested then last year which I thought was a dud.

LeafOnTheWind

I think the battles are the true test of ability. They have all the time they need to perfect their audition piece. It gets harder from here on out. They have to learn their songs quickly.

Aceon6

I have to keep reminding myself that the judges tend to choose fodder once they’ve identified 4ish viable finalists. For the most part, unless the chosen ones are hard to work with, the others will have to sing their butts off to advance.

This, and the auditions are shown out of order. The ones we see taking the 2nd to last spots may have auditioned way earlier. And the ones taking the last spots are truly good or are chosen as battle opponents for someone the judge already expects to advance.

Aceon6

Not The Voice, but has anyone watched any of AI? I swear the producers were lurking last season as they’ve eliminated almost all the shriekers and annoying ones. Of the 20, I found only 2 who left me thinking WTF. The top 20 is still predominantly white, but they no longer seem to have a quota for LGBTQ participants.

taf2002

Not The Voice, but has anyone watched any of AI? I swear the producers were lurking last season as they’ve eliminated almost all the shriekers and annoying ones. Of the 20, I found only 2 who left me thinking WTF. The top 20 is still predominantly white, but they no longer seem to have a quota for LGBTQ participants.

I watched last night. The judges raved about people who were strange to say the least. That one guy who was really big mumbled thru his solo. I don't really know what his voice sounded like. Two girls described as quirky would never be heard on the radio. They both were super annoying. The one called Mr Entertainment masked his ordinary voice by screaming thru his song.

I thought many in the top 20 were no better (and often worse) than those who went home. There were only maybe 5 or 6 who could have gotten past Simon Cowell. Luckily those few are really good. I'll watch again when they eliminate half of them.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I watched last night. Rebecca the country singer and her opponent David were the best -he’s the one who should have gotten the steal IMO.

moebius

I watched last night. Rebecca the country singer and her opponent David were the best -he’s the one who should have gotten the steal IMO.

David was given a second chance at the comeback stage, but lost the battle again.

moebius

Nobody stands out this season again. Maybe the indie-looking country singer on Adam's team is the most interesting? Idol contestants this season are more intriguing (Laine Hardy, anyone?) than the Voice contestants this season.

Last edited:

taf2002

Nobody stands out this season again. Maybe the indie-looking country singer on Adam's team is the most interesting? Idol contestants this season are more intriguing (Laine Hardy, anyone?) than the Voice contestants this season.

I think there's a few on both shows who are stand-outs. But The Voice is by far the better show. AI is all about Katy Perry, just like it became JLo's show. A contestant on AI got a proposal from her boyfriend & somehow it became all about Katy. I wanted to vomit.

moebius

I just can't do Idol. I loathe Katy Perry more than I can describe.
I think there's a few on both shows who are stand-outs. But The Voice is by far the better show. AI is all about Katy Perry, just like it became JLo's show. A contestant on AI got a proposal from her boyfriend & somehow it became all about Katy. I wanted to vomit.
Kelly Clarkson is just as annoying as Katy Perry. That woman can't shut up.

Aceon6

I’m enjoying both shows, maybe AI a bit more. But I watch on a minimum of a 15 minute delay and fast forward through most of the judges babbling.

Aceon6

I was very disappointed in the cross battles. Everyone save Maelyn sounded super nervous and quite a bit off. I hate to say it, but I thought AI was better on average this week.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I was very disappointed in the cross battles. Everyone save Maelyn sounded super nervous and quite a bit off. I hate to say it, but I thought AI was better on average this week.

I haven’t watched AI but had The Voice on last night. Celia literally drove me out of the room, she was off on every note. Most of the rest were boring.

moebius

Celia literally drove me out of the room, she was off on every note.
Can't believe John wasted his steal on her. It doesn't matter if she was a 4-chair turn. She can't sing under pressure.

Everyone save Maelyn sounded super nervous and quite a bit off.
Even though I am not a country fan, I thought that Dexter sang well, like Blake said 'pitch perfect'.

I feel sorry for next week contestants, as there are not many saves and steal left, meaning less chances of staying on the show.

I think the strategy for the coaches is to pit one of the weaker contestants against a strong contestant from the first coach, since they have no shot at winning. That way they don't have to use a save until close to the end as possible.

Looking ahead at the schedule, half of the contestants will be going home almost every week. I guess, since there are less episodes this season b/c of that Ellen show that took over the Tuesday spot for several weeks, they had to have major cuts every week in order to finish the show on time.

taf2002

The coaches acted like they thought they would each get a steal & a save for next week too (which isn't the case) so they used them up on this week's contestants. There's only 1 steal & 1 save left for 16 singers next week which isn't fair. Maybe they acted so stupid as a protest to these stupid cross-battles. But in that flurry of inappropriate steals & saves no one saved Kayslin who IMO was one of the frontrunners. Most of the steals were real head-scratchers. I'm used to Adam stealing people who should go home but all 4 of them were reckless with their steals/saves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information