Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

kittysk8ts

Hi ..pls educate me....Is there more than 1 Base value for a triple axel before GOE?
Vincent got a base value of 8.80 but Jason got 8.00. I am confused.
No. That must be an error. I will have a look at the results and come back to you

EDIT: And I was wrong. Vincent’s 3A was in the 2nd half of his program and gets the 10% bonus.

Last edited:

katmari

WOW! Stunning performance. I am so happy for Jason. He's worked hard for this result.

Interesting factoid from Phil Hersh:
For @jasonbskates the grades of execution (max +5) on his elements were (deservedly) extraordinary: of 63 total, there were 32 of +5 and 26 of +4 #USCHAMPS19

(Judge 7 gave Jason the lowest GOE mark, a +2 on his CCoSp4 when all the other judges gave him +4 or +5.)

Allskate

Jason’s short is just sublime. Everything I love about skating.

It's definitely my favorite program of his that he's ever done. It made me flash back to Matt Savoie and Jeremy Abbott for some reason, but the style seemed very much Jason's. He's not the person he was five years ago, so it's appropriate that his style has evolved as well. Next season, I hope he has a lot more input into his long program. Jason and his new team didn't really didn't have much time to plan for this season, but it should be different next season. I'm really looking forward to it.

Sylvia

TBD
This story by Phil Hersh was published before Jason skated his FS yesterday: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/01/27/costume-drama-jason-browns-apparel-odyssey/
When Jason Brown began packing Tuesday in Toronto for his trip to Detroit for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, he made a disconcerting discovery.

His competition costumes were nowhere to be found.

And Brown realized the only place he could have left them was the Panorama Hotel in Zagreb, Croatia, where he had stayed while winning the Golden Spin event that ended Dec. 8.

Sylvia

TBD
Jack Gallagher's "Ice Time" podcast interview with Jason before Worlds: https://soundcloud.com/user-983930015/no-14-jason-brown

Jason after being awarded the ISU small silver medal for his SP at Worlds: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvRdpP3AG8q/

Jason has posted an end of season message for his fans ("Grateful but not satisfied!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BvsvIybndZy/

Article on Jason published yesterday: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2019/A...tagaya-Youngsters-Ahead-Of-2020-Olympic-Games
Excerpts:
After most of his teammates had returned to the U.S., Brown — along with parents Marla and Steven, and older sister Jordan — spent a few extra days in Tokyo’s Ward of Setagaya, which will serve as the home to some Team USA athletes at the Tokyo Games. Team USA athletes will be using Setagaya’s sport, health and wellness facilities for training and preparation during the Games, and one of the ways to show gratitude to them for hosting Team USA is through cultural exchange events.
More photos from his hospital visit were shared by Jason here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvh4mobnqjr/
Still, he’s encouraged by technique improvements made with his new coaching team and is already planning programs for the 2019-20 season with choreographers Rohene Ward and David Wilson.
“We have a few ideas,” Brown said. “Time will tell.”
Eyes firmly set on the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022, Brown is limiting his touring schedule this spring, electing to appear in just three “Stars on Ice” shows [St. Paul, Bloomington, IL & Chicago].
“I’m taking two weeks off in May, and that’s about it,” he said. “There’s a lot of work to do. … We’re going to go home and figure out what I need to do to improve my mental and physical game, how to put all of the pieces together.”

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Jason skated two of his popular exhibition programs for Ice Fantasia 2019 in Seoul, South Korea this past weekend - here are 2 high quality fan cams from Day 3 (Sunday, April 21):

"Can't Stop the Feeling" by Justin Timberlake (from Trolls): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_DPm0rvwnU
"Waving Through a Window" (from the Dear Evan Hansen musical): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkIaYqles7c

2019 Ice Fantasia show thread in GSD with fun social media & more video links: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/ice-fantasia-2019-april-19-21-seoul.105443/

His 3 upcoming Stars on Ice tour dates are May 3 (St. Paul, MN), May 4 (Bloomington, IL) and May 5 (Chicago).

Last edited:

katmari

Jason did a short interview for his Japanese fan group after Ice Fantasia. Here's a rough translation of the JasonBrownFP tweet:

Jason answered a short Q&A in Korea Ice Fantasia in Seoul. The next season's program is with the same Rohene and Mr. Wilson. SP is Rohene, FS is going to be the choreography of Mr. Wilson. The link of the video is here. 😊 Jason Brown Interview at Ice Fantasia 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUDFrBoGt8&feature=youtu.be

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thanks for sharing the weibo link here, @katmari!

Re-posting from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
Jason Brown just tweeted that his free skate will be to Schindler's List, choreographed by David Wilson.

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1127314518449717248
Thanks! Same clip is also posted on his IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxVg44fnZUn/

Even though the music is considered a bit overused in skating, I assume the theme means a lot to him personally and his many trademark moves will be highlighted well.

Mad for Skating

^^^ Thanks for sharing the weibo link here, @katmari!

Re-posting from the Programs/Choreographers thread:

Thanks! Same clip is also posted on his IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxVg44fnZUn/

Even though the music is considered a bit overused in skating, I assume the theme means a lot to him personally and his many trademark moves will be highlighted well.

I think it’ll be exquisite. Usually I don’t like Schindler’s List programs because very few skaters have the unique emotional quality the soundtrack requires. Jason is one of the few people who can really interpret a piece of music like that. I wonder if it’s a tribute to his friend and rival Josh Farris, since that was Josh’s iconic program. Also, Jason is Jewish so it probably has some roots for him.

katmari

Jason hasn't skated to many war horses in his career and I've thought that I'd like to see him take a piece of familar music and make it his own. I wasn't expecting Schindler's List but am thrilled by the choice.

John Williams is my favorite composer and I've had the opportunity to see him conduct music from Schindler's List in concert. Hearing it live and feeling the emotion from the rest of the audience as you share the experience is unforgettable and deeply moving. I am already imagining having the same emotional reaction when Jason skates.

I'm not overly fond of most SL programs but I know Jason will approach it with musicality and sensitivity, much like my other favorite performances by Josh Farris and Paul Wylie.

It's going to be a great year to be a John Williams fan and a skating fan with Jason/Schindler's List and Zhenya/Memoirs of a Geisha.

aftershocks

Banned Member
This photo from last season posted on Lubov's Instagram is sweet. It was soon after Jason had gotten his momentous first haircut in untold years, which started out with a lot on top, and he trimmed the top too as the season got underway.

I like the picture though for the fact that not only did Jason cut his hair, it looks like Rohene shaved his hair off completely. I wonder why??

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnc_Tg4jWr7/ click arrow to the second picture

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Yeah, I think Schindler's List is a good match for him - I definitely like it better as an idea than S&G, and am interested in seeing what he does with it. (I'm less confident about David Wilson being able to create a program that isn't a rehash of 'Jason's Best Moves').

it looks like Rohene shaved his hair off completely. I wonder why??

Rohene changes his hairstyle a lot (I used to skate at the same rink he did). Some people do. He might have just wanted a change, or, since he was going out on tour in Europe, he might have wanted something easy to maintain. There was a clip of him skating in Oniceperspective's instastory yesterday and it's grown back out again.

katmari

Yeah, I think Schindler's List is a good match for him - I definitely like it better as an idea than S&G, and am interested in seeing what he does with it. (I'm less confident about David Wilson being able to create a program that isn't a rehash of 'Jason's Best Moves').

I have the same concerns you do re: David Wilson. To me, it seemed like Jason's signature moves were added late to last year's LP just to give it some life. They never felt smoothly incorporated or even a good fit with the program, and I write this as someone who loves seeing Jason perform those moves.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

Actually, I would be happy if David Wilson did "Jason's Best Moves", considering that last year, as least with the initial S&G program, he seemed to have no inkling what those moves were:D. (ETA: just saw @katmari what she said about DW).
If he has a clue now about what Jason can do, it could only be an improvement:saint:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I went back to watch Paul Wylie's SL. I love Paul, but I thought that program was horrible. Rather than portraying the message and the essence of that film it appeared to me like Paul was acting out the entire movie on skates.

I think it should be a prerequisite to see the movie before choosing that music. The movie is not gratuitous in the horror, and seeing the survivors at the end is Ah-mazing.

katmari

Actually, I would be happy if David Wilson did "Jason's Best Moves", considering that last year, as least with the initial S&G program, he seemed to have no inkling what those moves were:D. (ETA: just saw @katmari what she said about DW).
If he has a clue now about what Jason can do, it could only be an improvement:saint:

:lol:

Hopefully, DW is more aware of Jason's capabilities this year. I seem to recall that it was Tracy who first mentioned adding the moves into last year's program.

IMO, the haunting lyrical beauty of SL is made for Jason's signature moves (and I am dying to see the completed program) but they need to be sensitively placed to enhance the program and not just thrown in to show off what Jason can do.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Right, hopefully there will be some solid inspirational pulling out of creativity in collaboration with Jason. This, rather than throwing something together based on an idea of who Jason is, and then expecting him to accept it and deal with, as what appears to have happened with S&G fp last season.

Rohene changes his hairstyle a lot (I used to skate at the same rink he did). Some people do. He might have just wanted a change, or, since he was going out on tour in Europe, he might have wanted something easy to maintain. There was a clip of him skating in Oniceperspective's instastory yesterday and it's grown back out again.

:lol: Yeah, thanks for sharing your knowledge of Rohene's style and personality. He seems like such a cool, original person to be around.

Hopefully, DW is more aware of Jason's capabilities this year.

That, and hopefully DW has a better understanding of who Jason is as a skater and a person. Praying. :drama: And crossing my fingers. :saint:

IMO, Jason was just going with the flow last season, and not wanting to rock the boat because he's there to learn and he didn't want to complain or rebel about anything. Jason does not have a selfish nor a rebellious personality. We do know that Jason's initial reaction was that he didn't feel a connection to the selected S&G music. Still, he was open to going along with it because he has such a laid-back, easygoing, empathetic personality.

But please, please find a good costume designer, Jason, who understands how to work with your body line and your unique proportions!

Historically, Jason has had issues with getting the right costumes together to enhance his look on the ice and his programs. I think the Liebestraume outfit was great, and the eventual Prince outfit worked very well. The Riverdance outfit was very good too. Last season's sp costume was excellent. Unfortunately, the S&G program outfit stuck out like a sore thumb all season long. Maybe it was finances and logistics which made Jason stick with that outfit?

As some skaters tend to do, why not take more time to plan an outfit, and simply wear casual warm-up attire in early events, to ensure the eventual costume is right. I don't know, maybe it's just that some skaters run into trouble having their costumes ready right away. And too, it could be that some skaters have more money to spend on getting their costumes created and sewn by in-demand designers.

I'm sure it's impossible for everything to go smoothly all the time. But Jason is such a great skater, I want to see him looking good all the time. There has to be someone out there with design expertise and an eye for color who can work with Jason in the costume department better than what we have sometimes seen. :saint:

Sylvia

TBD
A quick scan of Hanyu's wiki reveals that David Wilson has choreographed Yuzuru's exhibition programs for the past several years and that the last competitive program Wilson choreographed for him was his 2013/14 Olympic season Romeo & Juliet FS.

I say give Wilson a second chance. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information