Michelle Kwan (Threads Merged)

NAOTMAA

Only Michelle can get away with a picture like that :D

If that was anybody else and they posted a picture like that there would be a trillion posts with everybody (including myself ;)) trying to dissect what type of shade and snub she was trying to put on Tonya :rofl:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Momentum is key in this sport and the US women seem to suck at gaining real momentum.

Being consistent certainly helps in terms of gaining momentum, but let's face it, not even the most consistent skater is always consistent because figure skating ain't easy. The politics and rep factor make it that much harder. Plus, many U.S. athletes have trouble building competitive momentum internationally because of the relative depth in every U.S. discipline, which makes it harder to get to Worlds.

Momentum is sometimes decided by factors outside of skaters' control. Sure, in general, U.S. ladies haven't been at their absolute best when it matters, but many have also been relentlessly and unfairly dumped on to the point where it has become a sport IMO, to trash one or more or all. DL and his cohort on TSL at the start of the season, found it kinda funny to casually mock and laugh at Starr Andrews and her mother, and then act like they'd done nothing wrong. This, when there was really no reason for them to do so. Not liking Starr's skating or her programs did not require them to put on such a random and petty show of disdain and mockery in which they also managed to dis African-American musical artists and the artists who actually composed the music she selected, not all of whom are African-American.

DL and his cohort acted upset about Starr's hard-won success and fun programs at 2018 U.S. Nationals, and they even had the gall to cast aspersions upon the famous viral video of Starr as a young skater. Starr's mother having posed the viral Whip My Hair video when Starr was 7 years old, is not why Starr has reached the point where she is now! Not every cute young skater even decides to continue in the sport. For Starr, it took desire, commitment, fight, family support, and a huge amount of hard work and self-belief. No one has handed Starr anything. Yes, she could benefit by continuing to improve her skating skills and her confidence. I also previously suggested she seek some help from African dancers in order to improve her fp. But TSL's dis-fest was pure petty uncalled for snark. But then, it's always open season on U.S. ladies.

Again, and for the gazillionth time, Michelle Kwan's accomplishments set a high bar that has not been reached by anyone since, and is unlikely to any time soon, if ever. Among U.S. ladies, only Maribel Vinson Owen has a better domestic record, but not a better international record. MK's achievements spoiled U.S. fed and skating fans who had become so used to U.S. ladies kicking ass and taking no prisoners. Roll with the cycle we are in and with things as they are.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I love all Russian skaters, but no promise the young juniors will be as successful as you’re say

I didn't say Eteri's juniors are going to necessarily continue to succeed. The hope is that they might, especially Kostornaia who was not trained early on by Eteri, so she has a bit better technique. So far, most Eteri-trained skaters don't continue to succeed in seniors, and the ones who do, tend to be done after one Olympic cycle. Med and Zag are still works-in-progress, but obviously they are not as strong and invincible as they were when tinier.

Michelle just posted this pic:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOPmCLlt-T/
That's a great pic of her 13-year-old self, but that's not the most flattering pic of Tonya.

MK's Instagram must have crashed after she posted the pic with Tonya! It's not coming up for me. :drama:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
So, in the Minnesota IG she mentions working in the Midwest. Could it be she was in Iowa prior to visiting friend in Minnesota?

soogar

Korea has a weak federation. Even during Yuna's time the Korean federation held no sway or power; however, Yuna's talent and ability rose beyond the politics and the judges had no choice but to give her her due. The US needs an undeniable talent like that.

I don't think the Korean federation is weak at all. They are huge in Short track speed skating and the ISU is controlled by speed skaters. The Koreans never put anything into its figure skating program but she received a lot from the judges. Even now, the Koreans are doing well with their program.

On the other hand, the Chinese pairs were held back for a long time before they started winning.

DreamSkates

If anyone is interested in a free pair of full-size Michelle Kwan posters, please message me. They were never put on a wall. They have a car tire brand name on the bottom of each. I can send them in the original packaging.

theredpepper

If anyone is interested in a free pair of full-size Michelle Kwan posters, please message me. They were never put on a wall. They have a car tire brand name on the bottom of each. I can send them in the original packaging.

I can’t find a way on mobile to PM you - but are these still available? I know someone who might be interested :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information