Remembering the Attack on Nancy Kerrigan 25 years ago

Inessence

I wonder if the Federation will allow them to mention the name Tonya Harding. They did everything possible last year to avoid saying her name, including the omission of Sarah Kawhara as the choreographer for I Tonya in her Hall of Fame bio!

I think she was mentioned after Mirai’s 3A. No?

As an aside I just read a rumor that TH has just signed for Celebrity Big Brother.

Inessence

Trainwreck alert!

Who was named in Celebrity Big Brother spoilers?

Actor Stephen Baldwin
Figure skater Tonya Harding
Actor Bobby Moynihan from SNL
Fashion expert and actor Carson Kressley from Queer Eye
Politician Sean Spicer from President Trump White House
Actor and model Jonathan Bennett from Mean Girls
Reality show veteran Dina Lohan
Reality show veteran Tiffany Pollard
Singer Aubrey O’Day
Olympian Caitlyn Jenner

Show starts on January 21, so we should receive confirmation soon.

Last edited:

meggonzo

Banned Member
Trainwreck alert!

Actor Stephen Baldwin
Singer Aubrey O’Day
Olympian Caitlyn Jenner

This looks amazingly trashy :watch:

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
It sick ins me that Tonia after all this is now also going to be put on Celeb. "Big" Brother, a show that has for so many season's been a change of pace from all the trash on the TV such as for example a show like The Simpson's which rots brains!

My wife and me will be boycotting all T.V. except for David Bromstead and praying for the world to survive even half way thru 2019. If the Lord can hear us please, have them get rid of Tonia put her in the slammer and re-place her with the person whom I wish could of been my own Big brother when I was a teenager but also now, Craig T Nelson

bardtoob

It sick ins me that Tonia after all this is now also going to be put on Celeb. "Big" Brother, a show that has for so many season's been a change of pace from all the trash on the TV such as for example a show like The Simpson's which rots brains!

Whatever. I'm good with the show debuting 4 days before US Senior Nationals!

Johnny and Tara have done what they could, but they can't keep giving to figure skating like Tonya, Nancy, or Michelle (the 1994 Olympic Team) :rofl:

If the Lord can hear us please, have them get rid of Tonia put her in the slammer and re-place her with the person whom I wish could of been my own Big brother when I was a teenager but also now, Craig T Nelson

You seem like the kind of guy that would have a thing for "Coach" as a teenager, but I don't think G*d grants wishes like that.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

I wonder if the Federation will allow them to mention the name Tonya Harding. They did everything possible last year to avoid saying her name, including the omission of Sarah Kawhara as the choreographer for I Tonya in her Hall of Fame bio!

NBC calls the shots regardless of what the skating Federation would like you to think. Just look at the schedule and you can see that.

If they want to talk about Tonya, they will. Whatever they think they need for ratings

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
If Tonya is really in the Big Brother house, then NBC doesn’t need to mention her. There will be plenty of chatter on the other network and online to bring viewers to Nationals without them having to do much of anything.

However, I asked one of the people on the early list of spoilers if they really were going to be in the house (as they know of my fandom), and I was told ‘I wouldn’t count on it’ so these are all just guesses as far as I know. Tonya would make sense with it being 25 years, though.

Triple loop

That your opinion. My comment was about her insulting the top 2 saying is that all we’ve got, and then placing 4th. Even behind Kwan and Bobek. That should’ve humbled her

At the 1993 worlds, Kerrigan placed 5th with a horrible long program and Erwin was 13th. That's why there was only 2 placements for the 1994 Olympics. We were not very good at all. Elaine returned because she wanted to prove that she could get back into shape and skate well. It wasn't about winning. She was highly criticized in the 1980's for being different. In 1994, she was finally given the respect she always deserved. Zayak also highly praised Kwan as being one of the best she'd ever seen in a long time.

ilovepaydays

Trainwreck alert!

Actor Stephen Baldwin
Singer Aubrey O’Day
Olympian Caitlyn Jenner

Trainwreck? More like nightmare! :eek:

I bet NBC will discuss the attack and there might be a fluff piece or an interview with Kerrigan and/or Scott Hamilton (because he commentated the Olympics). I would be surprised if Tonya was brought up.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
re-place her with the person whom I wish could of been my own Big brother when I was a teenager but also now, Craig T Nelson

I think I speak for every red-blooded woman (and the homosexuals,I assume) when I confess I want Craig T Nelson to be my personal "coach",particularly circa 1995. Trust me...I can be apt pupil.

If the Lord can hear us please

I'm fairly certain Jesus only reads the TV ALERTS forum with any sort of regularity. I recommend asking there.

-BB

Last edited:

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
I think I speak for every red-blooded woman (and the homosexuals,I assume) when I confess I want Craig T Nelson to be my personal "coach",particularly circa 1995. Trust me,I am an apt pupil.
Wow!!!!! That foto of Craig T is even better then the scene in Troupe Beverly Hills when he showed the strong ness of his arm muscles by opening a can of I think pickles? for Shelly Long. I wish I had a copy of it for the long night's on the ocean when I was a seamen I would of had a hard time not looking at it for a hole twenty minutes at most.

bardtoob

Wow!!!!! That foto of Craig T is even better then the scene in Troupe Beverly Hills when he showed the strong ness of his arm muscles by opening a can of I think pickles? for Shelly Long. I wish I had a copy of it for the long night's on the ocean when I was a seamen I would of had a hard time not looking at it for a hole twenty minutes at most.

Ewww ...

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Answering tripleloop’s new thread about the ‘94 Nationals
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...sary-of-the-kerrigan-harding-incident.105071/
...and was redirected here.

I just rewatched my DVDs on ABC’s coverage of this — which was constantly interrupted by updates of The Incident. The more curious points that hit me:

- Nancy’s coach Mary Scotvold smoking in the arena’s skybox! Was indoor smoking still allowed then? ROTFL!

- the incredible fact that, back then, the only discipline allowed to name a full complement of three competitors (or teams) was PAIRS! Only one dance team and two each of the singles could go to Lillehammer. Boy, has the landscape changed.

- The 3rd place Pairs team of Courtland/Reynolds skated poorly but were propped-up ridiculously (as one of the tv commentators stated when scores came up!)...above 4th place Team Kuchiki/Marval, who skated great (not on tv but I saw live; dad was home & made my VHS tapes).

- 3rd-place man Aran Nielsen came close to booting his longtime mentor, Boitano, off the team.

- Even though they deserved their lower placements due to weaker jumps, I loved the old-fashioned finesse of Carol Heiss’ skayers, Kwiatkowski and Ervin.

- after her win, Tonya gave a really odd interview, coughing strongly through her asthma but, in retrospect, maybe giving away some hints as to what really happened?

- one of the more interesting “characters” of The Incident made his first on-screen appearances during the news breaks of the Ladies finals telecast: Detroit’s hippy-dippy Deputy Police Chief Napoleon...remember him? Napoleon would dole-out the most serious facts in a curiously smiley, lackadaisical on-screen manor.

Last edited:

gkelly

Which was true on the 24th anniversary of the "whack" and will be true on the 26th.... Picking the 25th???? Just asking for more attention.

Or maybe it's just coincidence.

The Media likes those nice commemorative dates

The Media doesn't choose the locations for US Nationals.

Does USFS consider what The Media might like when making their selections? Maybe, maybe not. But there are a lot of other considerations to take into account as well.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Oh please! Tonya has had her day in the spotlight, and most often for her train wreck antics! She is figure skatings' Lindsay Lohan !

Finsta

Tonya. had talent undeniable for her time. Many admire her talent still and think her circumstances unfortunate for skating. She was never ideal for skating and seemed reminded of this. Nothing wrong with respect her talent but not the actions to Nancy.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
It's like this. I have all of that plus more on VHS tape, and there's no need for me to read Phil's article. They had coverage of it every day for months. It was even on my local news on all three channels - ABC, CBS and NBC. Then it started all over again during the Olympics. It was like the media wanted it implanted into everyone's brains. I saw it so much and the worst part is that every time I think of Tonya, I only see that sobbing crying face with her sticking her skate boot in the judges face explaining that it won't work because her shoestring on her skate boot was too short. And I will never forget the confused and shocked look on Josee's face because she had to skate before it was time all because of a darn shoelace.

Rock2

Not a very nice comment for her to make. In the end she places behind them and the very young Kwan and Bobek. Maybe that teaches her something about being humble

It really was a fair observation based on what we saw in 1993.

I don't see where she insinuated she'd win; I took her observation to mean she could surely be competitive....and she was. The coach who guested on TSL this week (Haw? forget his name) mused that if the event was scored properly Zayak should have won, even with 3L as her biggest jump.

VGThuy

Since we're talking about Elaine Zayak, her TSL interview is one of the best things you can listen to. She's such a personality but is also very self-deprecating and humble. She's a hoot to listen to. It seems she had some negative people in her life including her father who would tear her down. I remember was when she was training for 1994 Nationals, she was happy she lost some weight. She told her coach she lost I think it was 15 pounds and he was like "on which leg?" Nicole Bobek was super inspired to be sharing the ice with her it seemed from the way she hugged Zayak after Zayak's skate and on the way to her own free skate.

Zayak also shared a story about being in the locker room after the whack occurred and being like "omg this is crazy!" and how all of the competitors in the locker room were joking about how Tonya did it and how it's obvious she had something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information