Detroit selected to host 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

eliza61

Hi All, My daughter has just relocated to NY from Australia and her boyfriend is trying to organise a trip US Nationals as a surprise Chrissy present and has asked for my assistance.

Is the Championship Weekend package the best way to go ticket wise, I think they can only do the Friday to Sunday and what would be the best way for her (and the bf) to get there transport wise.

Also any tips for good seating in the arena would be welcome.

TIA

acraven

I imagine they'll want to fly. Driving would take them across the snow belt, not a good idea at that time of year.

I don't know how the weekend package prices compare to the total of the individual ticket prices, but I'd assume the package produces a bit of a savings. However, the rhythm dance (Friday afternoon) and ladies short program (Thursday night) are not part of the package.

Spectators have different seating preferences. I don't see very well, so I insist on being near mid-rink. Others are fine being at the end, where they may have a clear view of the entire ice sheet. The dancers tend to focus their choreography more toward the side of the rink the judges are on (that will be the side with no central seats available in the first 10 or more rows--Sections 107-111), so folks especially interested in ice dance tend to prefer seats on the judges' side of the arena.

A.H.Black

Hi All, My daughter has just relocated to NY from Australia and her boyfriend is trying to organise a trip US Nationals as a surprise Chrissy present and has asked for my assistance.

Is the Championship Weekend package the best way to go ticket wise, I think they can only do the Friday to Sunday and what would be the best way for her (and the bf) to get there transport wise.

Also any tips for good seating in the arena would be welcome.

TIA
I imagine they'll want to fly. Driving would take them across the snow belt, not a good idea at that time of year.

I don't know how the weekend package prices compare to the total of the individual ticket prices, but I'd assume the package produces a bit of a savings. However, the rhythm dance (Friday afternoon) and ladies short program (Thursday night) are not part of the package.

Spectators have different seating preferences. I don't see very well, so I insist on being near mid-rink. Others are fine being at the end, where they may have a clear view of the entire ice sheet. The dancers tend to focus their choreography more toward the side of the rink the judges are on (that will be the side with no central seats available in the first 10 or more rows--Sections 107-111), so folks especially interested in ice dance tend to prefer seats on the judges' side of the arena.
I'm one of those who prefers to sit opposite the judges or on the end. Many of the seats on the judges side have some sort of obstructed view (unless you are on the front row or two) - especially with the way the cameras are set up these days. I like to be able to see the whole performance without having to look at the jumbotron.

I also don't mind sitting on the end these days. My neck can get sore looking back and forth all week (sort of like tennis). When I sit on the end, I can see the whole skate without having to put my head on a swivel. Some people love being in the corners (I had a great experience in the corner one year). Some people also like being close to "kiss and cry" - or being on the opposite end so they can see into "kiss and cry". It's all very subjective. What does she like to watch?

I do think that the great majority of people like to be as close as they can be. The power, speed, and effort of the skaters is most evident when you are on the front row. The first time one of the men lands a huge jump six feet away from you - well, it takes your breath away.

I don't think they will have any trouble getting tickets - now or even at the door. I also agree that flying is probably the best way to go - unless they like the train.

eliza61

Yes I agree as close to the ice as possible should probably be the goal, we were in the front row for the mens FS at Cup of China when Hanyu and Han Yan collided :eek: My daughter judges in Australia so her usual view of competitions is from the judges area :judge:though our rinks aren't anything to write home about. She's young so she can put up with having to swivel her neck but it would be great if they could get close rinks side seats that don't cost too much. Yes they plan to fly, I had a quick look at the fares and they aren't too bad NY to Detroit return around $200. Does anyone know if there are any coupon codes that give discounts floating around?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Yes I agree as close to the ice as possible should probably be the goal, we were in the front row for the mens FS at Cup of China when Hanyu and Han Yan collided :eek: My daughter judges in Australia so her usual view of competitions is from the judges area :judge:though our rinks aren't anything to write home about. She's young so she can put up with having to swivel her neck but it would be great if they could get close rinks side seats that don't cost too much. Yes they plan to fly, I had a quick look at the fares and they aren't too bad NY to Detroit return around $200. Does anyone know if there are any coupon codes that give discounts floating around?

I checked www.webjet.com.au and return on American Airlines and Delta Airlines start at AU $170.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Hey, for those who are having hard tickets delivered, are they coming USPS or courier? *is in a panicked flail*

Tavi

Hey, for those who are having hard tickets delivered, are they coming USPS or courier? *is in a panicked flail*

If you are worried about not having received something sent to you in Australia via US Postal Service, PM me and I’ll try to help.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I sent Brent a list of counter points to USFS' argument as to why we shouldn't be allowed in the practice rink, and this is his latest reply:

Thanks for your thoughts and I've forwarded along to members of our Marketing and Events team as well. I've been pushing to see what we can do, but the seating around the rink is much smaller than 300 that is listed in past articles.

There is also a logistical issue as the practice rink does not have concessions or staffing. I apologize as I know that practice sessions can be a benefit for all-event ticket holders but I've been told this area is off-limits.

More lame excuses as I don't remember SCOB having concessions. The practice rink in Greensboro also didn't have concessions that I remember (you could bring in concessions from the main rink). As I suspected, they don't want to deal with extra staffing. :blah::blah:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
SCOB has a little snack bar. If you were willing to wait for half an hour, you could get decent soup. IIRC, they ran out of almost everything by 4:00.

Debbie S

USFS's citing of lack of concessions is a joke. Since when are they concerned about whether fans have food at comps? If they did, they'd allow outside food. Blah.

My printed tickets came today! Although my practice ticket now shows up in my electronic account. But yay, I'm set!

@eliza61 The code is "2019champs". It's printed at the top of the page, but not obvious or easy to see. Anything to make it more difficult for paying customers. :rolleyes:

mysticchic

I sent Brent a list of counter points to USFS' argument as to why we shouldn't be allowed in the practice rink, and this is his latest reply:

More lame excuses as I don't remember SCOB having concessions. The practice rink in Greensboro also didn't have concessions that I remember (you could bring in concessions from the main rink). As I suspected, they don't want to deal with extra staffing. :blah::blah:
I suspect this is at DSC. They have seating for 300 in 2 rinks and almost none in rink A. The problem would be parking and moving around. Concessions is small and the owner died suddenly within the past year and half. His wife and another woman took over.
But my guess is parking and volunteers out there.

TanithandBenFan

I suspect this is at DSC. They have seating for 300 in 2 rinks and almost none in rink A. The problem would be parking and moving around. Concessions is small and the owner died suddenly within the past year and half. His wife and another woman took over.
But my guess is parking and volunteers out there.

This is for the practice rink that is inside Little Caesars Arena. All they would need to do is add a couple of LCA staff to check tickets at the door.

eliza61

USFS's citing of lack of concessions is a joke. Since when are they concerned about whether fans have food at comps? If they did, they'd allow outside food. Blah.

My printed tickets came today! Although my practice ticket now shows up in my electronic account. But yay, I'm set!

@eliza61 The code is "2019champs". It's printed at the top of the page, but not obvious or easy to see. Anything to make it more difficult for paying customers. :rolleyes:
I tried 2019champs with no luck. I emailed the USFSA and they’ve advised me it’s 2019WEEKEND I’ve passed this on to my daughter’s bf but haven’t heard back if it worked

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
If anyone is still looking for appropriate clothing for Nats, I can recommend the Uniqlo Wind Proof Warm Lined Pants. I test drove them today. It was slightly below freezing, but the wind chill factored as 10F. I wasn’t cold outside and I did not overheat inside. They do run small. A large seems to be a small 12 in US sizing.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Brent at FOFS replied and said 300 seats aren't enough because they've sold 600 all event tickets. I find this logic faulty because 100% of ticket holders are never at practice all at the same time. I need some facts to back up my rebuttal - does anyone know how many seats there are at the Skating Club of Boston and the practice rink that was used last year at Solar4America Ice in SJ? Those rinks looked small to me and perhaps hold less than 300?
There were two rinks being used at Solar4America last year and based on the practices I went to (ladies only), the USFSA took up 1/3 of the minimal seating and their were still plenty of seats (4/5 rows that only went 2/3 down one side of the rink minus what USFSA had blocked off for press, judges, etc). I can't imagine there were more than 50 people there of the 3 times I went. Maybe they are thinking more people would go this year since the venues are condensed in one spot? I remember in St. Louis and Atlanta there were a good amount of people at the practices and those venues were really out of way. Either way I don't think it is a good thing treating the figure skating fan base this way.

Carolla5501

!

LOL!

There were two rinks being used at Solar4America last year and based on the practices I went to (ladies only), the USFSA took up 1/3 of the minimal seating and their were still plenty of seats (4/5 rows that only went 2/3 down one side of the rink minus what USFSA had blocked off for press, judges, etc). I can't imagine there were more than 50 people there of the 3 times I went. Maybe they are thinking more people would go this year since the venues are condensed in one spot? I remember in St. Louis and Atlanta there were a good amount of people at the practices and those venues were really out of way. Either way I don't think it is a good thing treating the figure skating fan base this way.

You seem to be laboring under the false premise that they actually care about the figure skating fan base. They want you to send them LOTS of cash and then shut up and stay home!

Carolla5501

I’m trying to figure out why they picked this place. I just looked at the seating chart and ticket arrangements and they still are not selling anything above the lower bowl. So why did they need this huge arena if you’re only going to sell the lower bowl? Or am I missing something and you can actually buy tickets in the nosebleed seats?

Debbie S

I’m trying to figure out why they picked this place. I just looked at the seating chart and ticket arrangements and they still are not selling anything above the lower bowl. So why did they need this huge arena if you’re only going to sell the lower bowl? Or am I missing something and you can actually buy tickets in the nosebleed seats?
Most Nats in recent years blocked the upper bowl from sale. Sometimes, they covered it with black curtain, so the empty seats wouldn't look as obvious. The last skating event I've been to that sold upper bowl was Boston Worlds.

Carolla5501

Most Nats in recent years blocked the upper bowl from sale. Sometimes, they covered it with black curtain, so the empty seats wouldn't look as obvious. The last skating event I've been to that sold upper bowl was Boston Worlds.

I could swear the upper bowl was open for senior events last year, but this just makes the point even more. Why are they insisting on going to large metropolitan cities and usind expensive arenas that they can’t possibly fill up.

Why aren’t they doing this in places more like Greensboro Where the arena probably isn’t as big, or costs as much to rent? I feel like the big city location is ego driven not driven by what actually seems to be needed to put on the event.

Cities are not going to be motivated to give you a good deal for a weeks use of an arena when you are not filling it up and bringing in revenue

Debbie S

Why are they insisting on going to large metropolitan cities and usind expensive arenas that they can’t possibly fill up.
San Jose *is* kind of a secondary market. Well, it's not SF or L.A. In Greensboro, they had the upper bowl curtained off, too. For the ACC tourney, you better believe they fill it up to the rafters. OTOH, Boston is a major city, and the arena (including upper bowl) was full for both Nats and Worlds. If it's in a city that people want to go to, with a large and supportive skating community and an LOC that works with local media and tourism agencies to promote it, they can fill the seats. But USFS is dependent on who bids and what package they are offering (which also includes hotel rates, a secondary ice surface, transportation and other logistics). And (unfortunately), Nats can't be in Boston every year.

BittyBug

Disgusted
But USFS is dependent on who bids....
And who bids is contingent on the demands that USFS makes, and they are demanding increasingly higher levels of guaranteed income. Year ago they had a profit sharing arrangement with USFSA and the LOC agreeing on a split of the profits. Now USFS wants guaranteed payments that are bigger each year, and then a split of profits above that level. They transfer all the risk of the event to the LOC, but want guaranteed payments along with all kinds of perks for their staff and sponsors (like ticket blocks, hotel suites, etc.). Eventually host cities will stop bidding at all.

azcalder

According to an October article in the Detroit Free Press, all 18,600 red seats at the LCA are being swapped out for black. Apparently, the empty seats at the Piston and Red Wing games have become an embarrassment. They hope the black will hide the no-shows. The work will begin in December. http://tinyurl.com/y88qy949.

TanithandBenFan

There's a new less detailed schedule uploaded now on the event site in place of the good ole colored schedule:

http://2019uschampionships.com/cont...9/01/Full-schedule-excel-graph-USCHAMPS19.pdf

This one shows the Pairs FS groups 1-3 combined with the Men's SP groups 1&2 in the same session, and Pairs FS groups 4&5 being combined in the same session with the Men's SP groups 3&4. This is a change from the colored schedule I have from Nov. 28. The old one didn't have the men being split up. It's bad enough they split up the groups for free skates, but now they're doing them for the SP too? That really sucks for the early groups of guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information