Who should be the 2019 RUS Ladies European team?

Who should make European team?

• Total voters

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I know rules say Konstantinova and Zagitova are guaranteed spots, but which 3 would be on your team?

annie_mg

The question is rather who is healthy to be on that team? Will Tuk have recovered by then? And what about Zagitova? IMO she looked too off yesterday for it to have been just nerves. I would wait to see if she has indeed some kind of injury...

Lchan

I really like Medvedeva but (based on the season so far) if it's a choice between her and La Tuk , it ought to be La Tuk. The question is whether Tuktamysheva is healthy for Euros?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Too bad Russia couldn't apply North Korea's tactics, when that country's gymnastics association forged some of their athletes birth certificates prior to the Barcelona Olympics and made 16 the new 12.

All kidding aside, I read how a couple of people felt that putting Shcherbakova, Trusova, and Kostornaia in the senior ladies event was a pointless exercise because they are age ineligible. However, I thought it was great preparation getting them used to the rigours of senior competition, as I believe they will be age eligible soon enough for Grand Prix and Challenger Series selection next season.

Here's hoping Russia carefully picks their ladies' team for Europeans and Worlds, as the Japanese women earlier today at their national championships were very strong.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

I really like Medvedeva but (based on the season so far) if it's a choice between her and La Tuk , it ought to be La Tuk. The question is whether Tuktamysheva is healthy for Euros?

Agreed - if Tuktamysheva was healthy. But pneumonia takes awhile and A LOT out of someone to recover from. I know people who have died because not enough care was taken with pneumonia. No way should she be ready for Europeans. Worlds - sure if she recovers well.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Yes, IMO Tarusina would have been a smarter alternate choice than Tuktamysheva for Euros. You better believe she is still a medal contendor, and probably should have ranked above Zag and Med at Nationals anyway..

blue_idealist

I like Sofia, but I think Tuk has a chance to do better at Worlds and she finished higher at the GPF. Plus she's a former World Champion. Medvedeva is too, yes, but she didn't have a good GP season like Tuk.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Surprising that Samodurova was named to the team but good for her, she's been remarkable consistent so far this season- maybe the most consistent lady actually.

Maybe.. just maybe.. they did this to do the head-to-head comparison between Konstantinova and Samodurova? If you leave Sofia out of Euros in favor of Tuktamysheva (or even Medvedeva), then you can't really find a way to get her into Worlds.

If you put her up against Konstantinova immediately, then Sofia has a chance to finish ahead of her and then make the case for Worlds if one of the others who isn't competing is added to the team. I was actually quite surprised that the National judges seemed to favor Konstantinova PCS-wise but I don't think the international judges will.

babayaga

I think they picked Samodurova because they know Tuktamysheva will not be ready in time. Mishin said in his interview that he is going to prepare Lisa for WC. This means she was promised to be considered at the very least. I am extremely happy for Samodurova, no one even talked about her before this season and she is quietly getting job done time after time. Love her.

olympic

Sadly, I don't think Medvedeva will be considered. I think the Russian Fed will send Konstantinova and Zagitova, then make a later decision on Tuktamysheva vs. Samodurova via Euros or some other way.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Surprising that Samodurova was named to the team but good for her, she's been remarkable consistent so far this season- maybe the most consistent lady actually.

Maybe.. just maybe.. they did this to do the head-to-head comparison between Konstantinova and Samodurova? If you leave Sofia out of Euros in favor of Tuktamysheva (or even Medvedeva), then you can't really find a way to get her into Worlds.

If you put her up against Konstantinova immediately, then Sofia has a chance to finish ahead of her and then make the case for Worlds if one of the others who isn't competing is added to the team. I was actually quite surprised that the National judges seemed to favor Konstantinova PCS-wise but I don't think the international judges will.

I'm very interested in this head-to-head as well. Samodurova's basics are among the weakest of the truly elite skaters. She's charming, but her program is full of poseography and poor ice coverage. Konstantinova's programs are more complex and have more depth of interpretation. However, I fully expect Samodurova to be more consistent and that could make the difference for her, both in her TES score and the related bump that going clean gives to PCS marks. If both were clean, though, I'd expect Konstantinova to win the PCS marks. I just don't expect Konstantinova to be clean. :p

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sadly, I don't think Medvedeva will be considered. I think the Russian Fed will send Konstantinova and Zagitova, then make a later decision on Tuktamysheva vs. Samodurova via Euros or some other way.

If Konstantinova bombs at Euros they should not send her to worlds. What if Liza is still weak (but strong enough to make the team) and the weight falls on Zag and the third skater? Zag has not done well when she is under pressure. IMO Sofia must be on the world team, based on how consistent she has been this season (unless she bombs at the Euros). She has definitely earned her spot.

bardtoob

I think we will see Liza and Janny at some alternative to Euros, and then the Russian Fed will compare then to the Euros Team when selecting the World Team.

The Russian Fed knows that once they sort out their physical issues, Liza and Janny can deliver. Remember they are two of three most recent World Champions.

blue_idealist

I think we will see Liza and Janny at some alternative to Euros, and then the Russian Fed will compare then to the Euros Team when selecting the World Team.

The Russian Fed knows that once they sort out their physical issues, Liza and Janny can deliver. Remember they are two of three most recent World Champions.

Liza, yes, but I think Evgenia's issues will take a bit longer to sort out.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Liza yes, but Zhenya no, for worlds 2019 (barring injury to other skaters). As much as I love Zhenya, i don't feel she looks ready for worlds at this time. She is going to need at least one more season for that, and she also needs to be free of injuries to deliver what she is capable of.

ETA- Zhenya could still finish in the top 10 at worlds but I don't think a two time champ would be satisfied with that kind of placement.

Oops! I just realized this thread is about the Euros, not worlds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information