Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

kwanatic

I feel like she will connect to this piece much better than Orange Colored Sky. That was a good program for her but, with all of the changes she made, I think that drastic of a style change was a bit too much to pull off along with the technique change, coaching style change, etc. Maybe she can revisit it in a few years or turn it into a exhibition number. Tosca is much more suited to her strengths and, given how far she's fallen behind this season, if she wants to get a spot to worlds she needs to play to her strengths and put out a good performance.

Spun Silver

I feel like she will connect to this piece much better than Orange Colored Sky. That was a good program for her but, with all of the changes she made, I think that drastic of a style change was a bit too much to pull off along with the technique change, coaching style change, etc. Maybe she can revisit it in a few years or turn it into a exhibition number. Tosca is much more suited to her strengths and, given how far she's fallen behind this season, if she wants to get a spot to worlds she needs to play to her strengths and put out a good performance.
I doubt she will ever want to see that SP again, alas. It will remind her of that traumatizing GP season. I am not over-impressed with the new one. I feel as though I am watching Misha -- not that that's a bad thing but it doesn't look particularly new or original -- and it's less intricate and artistic than OCS. But she's back in her wheelhouse and has a dramatic piece she can sell, and that seems to be exactly what she needs to be confident. So all in all I have to be glad for her that she made the switch. Good luck to her!

arakwafan2006

Zhenya is so special! Her material this season isn’t and the program that had the potential to be, she scrapped. On the other hand, baby girl was drowning in the adjustments she had to make so i do feel like this program provides relief since it’s not an unfamiliar style. I suspect she’ll nail it and at the end of the day , that’s what counts when being scored. Getting through this season is key.

Her flip/toe and Axel are the strongest there is.

kittysk8ts

Ugh. 14th place after the SP. But, she was smiling in the K&C, so that's good. I pray she is patient and sticks this coaching change out. I do really like the Tosca SP. And the fact that she wonked the 2A actually just proves to me that she is trying to stick with the new technique and not revert back to the old. This is good.

annie_mg

This year is a test year, to her as athlete but also as a person. Will she keep believing in her abilities and also trust her body again? Noone knows. Yes Tuktamisheva is back after so many years and many cite her as an example of not giving up, but Medvedeva's success was much greater so the blow is even harder. It must be very difficult to be in her shoes right now. I hope she's got people around her that will help her understand what she can gain out of the current situation.

kittysk8ts

I hope she's got people around her that will help her understand what she can gain out of the current situation.
In my personal and humble opinion, she has exactly that, in Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson. They've said time and again, it takes a season or two. :) I am positive that if she sticks with this, she could be a Kostner-like skater eventually.

annie_mg

In my personal and humble opinion, she has exactly that, in Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson. They've said time and again, it takes a season or two. :) I am positive that if she sticks with this, she could be a Kostner-like skater eventually.
She can't afford to though. Let's admit it, Kostner has been around for as long as she has because she skates for Italy and had minimar competition at Nationals. Med can't take that path, if she keeps skating for Russia, which she has repeatedly said she wants to do.

kittysk8ts

She can't afford to though. Let's admit it, Kostner has been around for as long as she has because she skates for Italy and had minimar competition at Nationals. Med can't take that path, if she keeps skating for Russia, which she has repeatedly said she wants to do.
Point taken re lack of competition in Italy, compared to Russia. I still believe there is a place for Meds amongst the Russian woman. It clearly is not going to happen this season.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Based on what I watched from the ladies' short program, there is so much talent to choose from in Russia. Not only do athletes need a clean skate, it is getting to the point where a three triple short and a seven triple free may not be enough to stay in the game any more.

barbarafan

She had the jumps in the warmup and all the practices and they all looked better than before. Competition is of course where it counts...it will take time. She did get level 4's on everything with good GOE's.. She is on her way. Fingers crossed for the long. If she skates a clean long she should try to enter the next int'l she can.

arakwafan2006

I suppose there’s only one way to learn that you can’t always be perfect and, that things don’t always come easy or go as planned. The only critique i have are her spins. Otherwise, the glide of her blade is way better and the once jerky quality is much smoother. Ouch... both the Flip and Axel were a miss.

This is a bit Mao Asado 2.0 but Evgenia hasn’t fallen apart. I still maintain that nobody else could have done what she’s done, in terms of adapting to the changes !!! I bet this was a way tougher event than even Olympics. Russian nationals... old coach lurking around. Tarasova sticking her nose in your training ( lol) I hate to say this, i sort of hope she doesn’t make the world team. Everyone knows she had NO time to adjust to her whole new world. Her confidence is still on the potters wheel and it takes time

Last thing: if David Wilson is going to be doing tours and choreography for everybody on earth, can someone else take Zhenya... not Misha!!! He doesn’t have the choreographic vocabulary at this point that’s as up to snuff as Zhenya is. At this point, Danny G’s work and dare i say Averbukh’s ( cringe) is better. This season was sort of patched together and it is what it is. Zhenya is still magnificent and the best is yet to come. I hope she nails the free skate. Like Nails!!!!!

kalle

I thought she looked tense even during the warmup and you could almost feel the doubt in her body language as soon as she started her program :wuzrobbed
It seems as in terms of jumps, it is really a mental thing at this point but what happened with her spins?? Is she still injured or more linked to her body changes?
She struggled with one spin in the warmup too.
I actually liked this SP better than her previous one and such a shame not to see it skated cleanly (I suppose no Euros trip for her). I wonder if she will keep it next season..
It must be really tough for Evgenia to cope with all the hurdles this season and I hope she has that inner strenght to accept and find a way to overcome them.
I have no idea if Orser is the right coach for her at this stage but I hope so and that eventually, she will be able to jump as well as she seems to do in practice.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
What I see is that in Russia she was competing every time she took the ice, even in practices. It has made many Russian ladies perform well in actual competitions. That component is missing for Zhenya in Canada and she will need to adapt to that change. She still has the talent, and I believe that she has the desire to compete.

Will she get a GP next year?

Rock2

If Tuk can come back and be relevant again (never mind Leonova hanging in there...and now Kovtun) I wouldn't get too hung up on the urgency for Zhenya to fix her skating asap.

I said a few months ago in this thread that the best long term thing to happen to her would be to miss out on Euros and Worlds this year. Brian, Tracy and the team need her in Toronto healthy for at least six months to do any real concrete work with her skating. And to not start in June. Sadly she has to have this happen at nationals to get there. I hope she has an encouraging long and pulls up in the way Petrov did in the men's event.

Mostly, I hope she doesn't make any rash decisions after this event and change course. Fingers crossed she retrenches in her current coaching and training plan, takes a needed rest and then puts her head down to get to work back in Toronto.

Better times ahead.

Rock2

What I see is that in Russia she was competing every time she took the ice, even in practices. It has made many Russian ladies perform well in actual competitions. That component is missing for Zhenya in Canada and she will need to adapt to that change. She still has the talent, and I believe that she has the desire to compete.

Will she get a GP next year?

I wonder the same about a GP. I expect Skate Canada to invite her and she gets some other event based on past results. If Gracie could get an event this year, I'm optimistic.

Having to 'compete' in training everyday is a good and a bad thing. I think it can take its toll after awhile as well. Sounds like this was what she had been feeling.

There is no shortage of talent at the Cricket to inspire her. Aside from that I have every belief that she's internally motivated to the max and won't need ten fourteen year old jumping beans running around her to elevate her game.

Cricket will be a great place for her when all is said and done.

Finsta

Shocked at this for Medvedeva. Practices were strong. Maybe too much pressure for young girl returning home to people saying she’s traitor. I am certain it caused stress and worries. All reports are she is happy with Orser. Hope to see a better long program performance. Don’t give up. Even Irina did not make world team and worked harder and came stronger. Keep faith

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If Tuk can come back and be relevant again (never mind Leonova hanging in there...and now Kovtun) I wouldn't get too hung up on the urgency for Zhenya to fix her skating asap.

I said a few months ago in this thread that the best long term thing to happen to her would be to miss out on Euros and Worlds this year. Brian, Tracy and the team need her in Toronto healthy for at least six months to do any real concrete work with her skating. And to not start in June. Sadly she has to have this happen at nationals to get there. I hope she has an encouraging long and pulls up in the way Petrov did in the men's event.

Mostly, I hope she doesn't make any rash decisions after this event and change course. Fingers crossed she retrenches in her current coaching and training plan, takes a needed rest and then puts her head down to get to work back in Toronto.

The fact that Orange Coloured Sky was dumped in favour of Tosca, suggests a little bit of panic and urgency in the Team Orser camp, though. I still preferred the first one because it showed a lighter side to Medvedeva.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The fact that Orange Coloured Sky was dumped in favour of Tosca, suggests a little bit of panic and urgency in the Team Orser camp, though. I still preferred the first one because it showed a lighter side to Medvedeva.

I hated her earlier SP. It was just not her. I was happy about the switch to Tosca, as this music suits her much better. It seems she did not have much mileage on the new program. That, combined with the pressure of returning to Russia to make the world team may have been too much to handle.

ETA- I would love to see Zhenya skate her LP to Tosca next season. She can bring out all the emotion in it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I hated her earlier SP. It was just not her. I was happy about the switch to Tosca, as this music suits her much better. It seems she did not have much mileage on the new program. That, combined with the pressure of returning to Russia to make the world team may have been too much to handle.

Yeah. Russian Nationals have been a bit of a bust. Here's hoping Evgenia finds her focus and is able to salvage this competition as best she can.

Scrufflet

Shocked at this for Medvedeva. Practices were strong. Maybe too much pressure for young girl returning home to people saying she’s traitor. I am certain it caused stress and worries. All reports are she is happy with Orser. Hope to see a better long program performance. Don’t give up. Even Irina did not make world team and worked harder and came stronger. Keep faith
And yet, if you notice the audience, they kept applauding her, showing their love, much to the surprise of both her and Brian. I found this quite moving! Hooray Russian fans!

Finsta

And yet, if you notice the audience, they kept applauding her, showing their love, much to the surprise of both her and Brian. I found this quite moving! Hooray Russian fans!

Am happy it seems more skating fans love her than hate her over what Eteri has said and done. Unfortunate that coach refused being professional. These girls all are human and working hard. None should be sabotaged. Hoping for better in LP and all girls to skate great.

arakwafan2006

Sandra’s style is making subtle beautiful. That is diametrical to what Evgenia is used to. I almost wish Gracie had this short program. Misha repackaged what Evgenia was used to which was supposed to make her more comfortable.

Praying for redemption in the free

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information