Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Jason thread in GSD:
Beverley Smith has written an article about Jason's move & settling in with his new coaches; his friendship with Evgenia, and competing at ACI:

https://bevsmithwrites.com/jason-brown-his-light-falls-on-toronto/

It's a great read.
Excerpt:
“What was so appealing, not only are they such incredible coaches, but I love the fact that I don’t really know them,” Brown said. “I didn’t know Brian or Tracy personally before I came up to work with them.
“I really liked that because when I’m making such a big change, I wanted a fresh start. I wanted people to look at me with completely fresh eyes. And that’s what I really saw in them.”
It seemed to be a mutual thing when Brown arrived. He knew they were as excited to work with him as he was with them. “It was really really cool to completely start from scratch,” he said.
Although Brown has always been known for his artistic touch on the ice, Wilson put him to work on simple stroking exercises for three hours EVERY DAY for three or four weeks, having him pay attention to the knee bend, the pressure on the ice, making sure his body core was doing the work.
At this point, Brown says he understands it, but all of it is not quite yet ingrained in his muscle memory. He still has to think it all through, understanding that the stroking actually becomes part of the jump – something he had never considered before. So it’s not natural yet. Wilson told him it would take a year and a half to truly become part of him, although she’s excited by how quickly Brown is picking it up. He says there are moments of clarity.

Last edited:

katmari

Which program will he skate?

According to a tweet from his Japanese Fan Page, he's going to be skating to Can't Stop the Feeling:

https://twitter.com/JasonBrownFP/status/1048194150594564096
[jo&caoi] Jason is going to skate ex number "can't stop the feeling" that was slipping on soi. "carnival is a festival, so I think it's fun." I want to cheer up by cheering 😊

Jason's love of Japanese rice balls is well known and, of course, he had to seek them out as soon as he arrived: :lol:

https://twitter.com/JasonBrownFP/status/1048219790987259904
By the way, Jason had eaten three Tunamayo rice balls since he arrived at the Japan yesterday. 🍙🍙🍙 when I asked if I didn't sell rice balls in toronto, I heard that some of them are sold but they don't taste good. The taste is totally different, Japan rice balls are more delicious! I had to say, 😊 eat a lot during your stay Japan

AYS

🌻
Re: the article excerpt @Sylvia posted above, I could already see an improvement in his basic stroking in his performances at the Autumn Classic (I think that was the one he did).

DreamSkates

Re: the article excerpt @Sylvia posted above, I could already see an improvement in his basic stroking in his performances at the Autumn Classic (I think that was the one he did).

Seems so essential to skating - why do coaches skip such technique? This will help him with jumps....maybe the quad?

BittyBug

Disgusted
Seems so essential to skating - why do coaches skip such technique? This will help him with jumps....maybe the quad?
There are a lot of reasons why many coaches don't push training for basic skating skills, including limited availability of ice time to work on skills, disinterest from students who want to get their jumps mastered, pressure from parents who are paying the bills who find it more difficult to see progress in subtle things like stroking compared to the obvious success of mastering a new jump, and little obvious reward for better skating skills, especially at the lower levels. Sad but true in my experience.

DreamSkates

There are a lot of reasons why many coaches don't push training for basic skating skills, including limited availability of ice time to work on skills, disinterest from students who want to get their jumps mastered, pressure from parents who are paying the bills who find it more difficult to see progress in subtle things like stroking compared to the obvious success of mastering a new jump, and little obvious reward for better skating skills, especially at the lower levels. Sad but true in my experience.
Makes sense, then, thanks for explaining. I am not in the skating world so it helps to know.

katmari

USFSA has posted the next video blog from Jason
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/n...eries-q-a.aspx

The audio works just fine on my phone but there's no sound on the computer. The last video he did was posted to youtube by US Figure Skating so hopefully this video will show up there soon.

Jason replied to questions about his training, his long program, how it was working with David instead of Rohene, etc.

The video is now available on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYLXq0WVs7o

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Jason's FS run through shows signs of improvement though still not great. It went from a firework that did not light to one that wheezes out after a little bit of sparkle... i.e. not a total dud, less of a dud.

The +2L has moved from the end of a 3F+3T to the end of a 3A+2T+2L which is new for him I think.

I liked the three jumps right at the music change, but now a solo 3Z is the music change. They changed the one thing I liked! Ohh well.

Old Friends still drags on... and on and on and on and on way too long. S&G have a rather expansive library ... I think we could add some decent filler.

He seems happier with it and more comfortable at least.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It makes sense that Jason is still adjusting to a new training environment and all the changes in his life, plus the ups and downs in his skating career over the past number of years. Still, even with the SC deep field, I was hoping Jason could call on his tough competitive heart and go out there and skate as well as he skated his sp at AC. It didn't happen but it's not the end of the world. Jason had such great pop on his 3-axel the last time out, and there's no excuse for him doing a 3-2 when everyone else is landing 3-3. Seemingly, it was competitive nerves and he's still adjusting.

There are a lot of talented guys like Majorov and Samohin and Kerry who are classed as second-tier guys who really skated well with clean jumps and they are all in the mix. But the fp can be difficult, so we'll see who pulls out back-to-back clean performances. Shoma already is out of that running, but is still primed to win due to judges' blind love, and his obvious great abilities. But he gets away with errors and sloppiness too often. Jun Hwa is brilliant but he's not as mature artistically and maybe his score should have been closer to the three guys I mentioned. Even Aymoz was wonderful, but he got taken down on a UR call on his quad. Sadovsky is capable of pulling it together and bringing it too, despite being in last place. Samarin is overscored on PCS, despite having improved a bit in his presentation skills. Shoma was overscored with two major errors. Nam must have been called on something I didn't see, or else they took off some quality points. Nam skated clean, but without a quad.

Jason is such a quality skater. It was nice to see Brian Orser in the kiss 'n cry with Jason at SC. Here's hoping the fp that I don't like provides some zing this time out, and that Jason can pull his confidence together. He has to believe in himself. As Brian told him, Jason should just relax and feel it, and skate with his heart, as he usually does.

Sylvia

TBD
I was going to post On Ice Perspectives' teaser clip here yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bprdkchn6Nc/
Then decided to wait until a second clip of him skating his SP emerged - here it is (re-posting @katmari from the Brown/Orser thread in GSD):
Here's the first section of Love is a B* (ends with footwork after the 3F) by On Ice Perspectives (Jordan Cowan):
twitter
instagram
I love these videos!

In Jordan's IG story he said this is the first clip of a whole hour they had of private ice at TCC.

Roux

I was going to post On Ice Perspectives' teaser clip here yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bprdkchn6Nc/
Then decided to wait until a second clip of him skating his SP emerged - here it is (re-posting @katmari from the Brown/Orser thread in GSD):
Oh, I love this perspective! So much more dynamic than the TV cameras!

And I think you made the right call waiting for the full clip... that teaser is brutal! :lol:

Thanks, Sylvia!

Roux

@levineismine chatted with Jason at Skate Canada International and the article was published today: http://figureskatersonline.com/news...ocusing-on-the-big-picture-the-2022-olympics/

I fully understand that it could take a year to get really comfortable, but when you are at a competition, the athlete comes out and you want to be your best. But after the competition is when I’m able to step back and realize I’m going through a lot of change, and see that I learned x, y and z this week.

Here's to progress and perspective. Good luck with both this week, Jason! :40beers:

nimi

Did I have too much egg nog last night or are these short program results correct?????

:confused::D:confused::D
IKR? Such is the power of the new GOE scale!

As Jackie puts it:
This men's short program was generally a prime showcase for how the new GOEs reward quality and hammer errors ... well, except for Samarin's errors, I guess http://bit.ly/2TDLb7t #IFP2018

BEHOLD JASON'S SQUEAKY CLEAN QUADLESS SP AND CELEBRATE :encore:
https://youtu.be/lkLLK3vQN1I EDIT: oops, looks like that vid got removed, hope this link will work

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
His face looked so serious at the end. I think he saw that the door was open and went for it. I love it!

Dear Lord, One of the better SPs I have ever seen!!

Cant wait to hear Tara (and Johnny) flap their gums about "how you must have a quad in the SP to remain competitive." Man they are going to have to change and readjust their entire narrative today.......

Better yet, just give me Tanith!!!!

VGThuy

Dear Lord, One of the better SPs I have ever seen!!

Cant wait to hear Tara (and Johnny) flap their gums about "how you must have a quad in the SP to remain competitive." Man they are going to have to change and readjust their entire narrative today.......

Better yet, just give me Tanith!!!!

To be fair to Tara, she is a lot like many of the fans here in that we all need to adapt to the new world that opened up thanks to the expanded GOE range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information