2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

barbarafan

can someone tell me how to fast forward this? I couldn't figure it out
Let video start
you will see a bit of blue under picture which indicates where it is in video
drag along the line until you get close to the end. She is the 2nd to last skater

Rock2

From the video, Cotop looked like she was moving well and confidently. She also didn't drop her knee going into the donut spin :cheer2:.

Yeah, there is definite progress in her skating. It's subtle but noticeable at the same time.
Her SS still need quite a bit of work but her stroking is no longer distracting to me. Bunch of other little things.

My confidence that she can make good progress and be a consistent presence on the senior national team is increasing. Her ceiling is not yet known but it could be high, especially with this training situation. Looking forward to her development this cycle.

Separately, with Ravi taking on a projected national medalist (at some point this cycle) makes me wonder out loud if KO has told Ravi she's likely not going to commit to the full Olympic cycle (and that's not assuming she ever competes again).

barbarafan

Yeah, there is definite progress in her skating. It's subtle but noticeable at the same time.
Her SS still need quite a bit of work but her stroking is no longer distracting to me. Bunch of other little things.

My confidence that she can make good progress and be a consistent presence on the senior national team is increasing. Her ceiling is not yet known but it could be high, especially with this training situation. Looking forward to her development this cycle.

Separately, with Ravi taking on a projected national medalist (at some point this cycle) makes me wonder out loud if KO has told Ravi she's likely not going to commit to the full Olympic cycle (and that's not assuming she ever competes again).
I don't know.....certainly he will have some time this fall to work with her. I am sure he could handle 2 top athletes for 2nd part of the yr. It is all scheduling.

Rock2

I don't know.....certainly he will have some time this fall to work with her. I am sure he could handle 2 top athletes for 2nd part of the yr. It is all scheduling.

Oh there's no issue with handling it.

It's just respectful to your current star athlete to clear the idea of bringing in someone you're training to be her close competitor. Either KO is simply OK with it or she knows she might not last the cycle, which means it's only fair for Ravi to be able recruit other long term projects in her discipline.

ChiquitaBanana

Top coaches coach top skaters in direct competition more often than not. Kaetlyn did well for someone not having a direct competitor pushing her day after day on home ice. To each his best training condition

It's just respectful to your current star athlete to clear the idea of bringing in someone you're training to be her close competitor. Either KO is simply OK with it or she knows she might not last the cycle, which means it's only fair for Ravi to be able recruit other long term projects in her discipline.

Rafter

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see Cotop being a close competitor of Osmond’s in the next 4 years. The skating and jumps of Cotop’s are not even close.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Austman and Pineault were assigned to Autumn Classic, per Skate Canada's page. https://skatecanada.ca/event-schedule/#tab-31263c319f20cf01436

I'm disappointed they didn't use three spots at this event like they did the last two years :(

With only the Nepela Trophy and Finlandia remaining on their international assignments page, I wonder who else will get assignments? Surely Mallet will get one. And there was speculation that Cotop would get a senior event to try to get the tech minimums.

Now as I recall last year they added the Warsaw event to their assignments page later in the season so I hope they will send skaters to more events. And they had listed Cup of Nice on their site earlier but the competition has been cancelled :(
Meanwhile Michelle Long seems determined to have a great skate this week-end at the GTSA event this week-end.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmilBbxlWgc/?taken-by=themichellelong

I wonder what's changed since Minto.

Rock2

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see Cotop being a close competitor of Osmond’s in the next 4 years. The skating and jumps of Cotop’s are not even close.

On January 1, 2012, I wonder how many people would have seen KO skating in the final group at 2013 worlds, not 15 months later....?

In fact I'd be curious to scroll back on skating boards to see to what extent her name was even coming up for any purposes

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Were Aurora to reach her potential, I think she could be a real competitor.

However, if Aurora training with Ravi full-time turns out to be true (still nothing like word, though there's been some oddly delayed reporting of coaching stuff this summer, e.g., with Joseph's move to the TCC), I think it's not likely reflective of any inside knowledge about Kaetlyn's thoughts on the future. At this point she's accomplished more than she ever reasonably expected, by her own telling, and (other than the prospect of medaling at 4CC, I guess) there are no new worlds (or Worlds?) to conquer. A prospective successor/competitor in her own rink doesn't strike me as a real concern for somebody in the position she's in; if she stays in it, it'll be for further artistic fulfillment more than winning more stuff.

RoseRed

Were Aurora to reach her potential, I think she could be a real competitor.

However, if Aurora training with Ravi full-time turns out to be true (still nothing like word, though there's been some oddly delayed reporting of coaching stuff this summer, e.g., with Joseph's move to the TCC), I think it's not likely reflective of any inside knowledge about Kaetlyn's thoughts on the future. At this point she's accomplished more than she ever reasonably expected, by her own telling, and (other than the prospect of medaling at 4CC, I guess) there are no new worlds (or Worlds?) to conquer. A prospective successor/competitor in her own rink doesn't strike me as a real concern for somebody in the position she's in; if she stays in it, it'll be for further artistic fulfillment more than winning more stuff.
It is basically confirmed. Ice Palace posted on Facebook about the JGP and called Aurora one of their students.

And Joseph is definitely confirmed for TCC. He told a poster on GS who met him at Quebec Summer Skate at he has moved permanently.

Colonel Green

It is basically confirmed. Ice Palace posted on Facebook about the JGP and called Aurora one of their students.

And Joseph is definitely confirmed for TCC. He told a poster on GS who met him at Quebec Summer Skate at he has moved permanently.
Yeah, I know that Joseph’s move is confirmed now. But the notion was first floated back in June, and eventually only came out when he updated his ISU entry mid-August.

Now, if Aurora shows up for GTSA tomorrow (which she’s registered for, but we won’t know if she’s withdrawn until the day of) and Ravi’s there with her, that’d be a pretty clear confirmation.

RoseRed

Yeah, I know that Joseph’s move is confirmed now. But the notion was first floated back in June, and eventually only came out when he updated his ISU entry mid-August.

Now, if Aurora shows up for GTSA tomorrow (which she’s registered for, but we won’t know if she’s withdrawn until the day of) and Ravi’s there with her, that’d be a pretty clear confirmation.
She's also entered in the BC Summer Skate, so I doubt she shows at GTSA.

honey

Aurora is listed on the start list for BC Summer Skate.

http://www.skatinginbc.com/sites/default/files/junior_women_revised.pdf

And Ravi is also at BC Summer Skate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlaYg8lcVL/?taken-by=sk8ingwithcoachjessiej

ChiquitaBanana

How about Phan going to Orser for extra training this summer and then decided later on that he would stay there definitely?

Rock2

or Emy Decelle or others

I'm so off that train.

In fact, I can only take KO, Gabby, Aurora, Larkyn and Alaine seriously. And those last two are hanging by a thread in terms of my interest but I'm keeping an open mind as best I can. Aurora gets a couple of years of working on her craft with Ravi before I net out somewhere.

As for all the rest, they've all lost me. Go skate a 120 pt LP program somewhere -- anywhere -- and I'll raise an eyebrow.

Rock2

I would assume all the athletes enter their summer comps months and months ago as they lay out their sched in the spring. And in the case with Aurora, long before she moved to Ravi. Which is probably why we're seeing skaters who move around entered everywhere

mag

I'm so off that train.

In fact, I can only take KO, Gabby, Aurora, Larkyn and Alaine seriously. And those last two are hanging by a thread in terms of my interest but I'm keeping an open mind as best I can. Aurora gets a couple of years of working on her craft with Ravi before I net out somewhere.

As for all the rest, they've all lost me. Go skate a 120 pt LP program somewhere -- anywhere -- and I'll raise an eyebrow.

Well Larkyn didn’t make the World’s minimum with either skate at BC Summer Skate (even with some VERY generous calling and GOE) and didn’t break 100 with her free. I don’t think I would hold my breath waiting for 120!

Colonel Green

On the junior scene, two of the girls at the GTSA landed 3-3 combinations -- in Amelia Orzel's case, her second 3T got marked < (Shin Amano was one of the tech callers), but Catherine Carle got positive GOE for a 3S+3T.

I hope Amelia keeps improving the tech.

euterpe

Speaking of rotating triples, Kelsey Wong URd every one of her triples in the FS at BC Summerskate, and some doubles as well:

3z<, 3f<+2t<, 3lo<+2t, 3f<, 3t<<↓, 2a, 2a<+1eu<+2s

Kevin Reynolds earned only 129.22 in his FS because of URs:

3s, 2t, 3a<, 3s+rep, 4t<, 3f+3lo<, 3z

Both skaters either are or were Joann Mcleod's students.

At Minto, Amelia Orzel rotated hardly any of her triples in her FS, yet she won the competition:

3z<+2t, 2a+3t<<↓, 3f!<<↓, 3z<<, 3lo<, 2a+2t, 3t

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Gabby's Samson and Delilah free skate has a much more ambitious base value than her previous ones -- aiming for 3Lz-3T, 2A-3T, and I'm guess 2A-2T-2L. Still a work in progress, as you'd probably expect, but likely a necessity if she wants to go another four years, as she's said she does.

Rock2

Gabby's Samson and Delilah free skate has a much more ambitious base value than her previous ones -- aiming for 3Lz-3T, 2A-3T, and I'm guess 2A-2T-2L. Still a work in progress, as you'd probably expect, but likely a necessity if she wants to go another four years, as she's said she does.

I see zero change other than mixing and matching. The net content/base value is still the same, no?
3Z, 3Z, 3F, 3L, 3S, 3T, 3T, 2A, 2A, 2T, 2L.....?

honey

I see zero change other than mixing and matching. The net content/base value is still the same, no?
3Z, 3Z, 3F, 3L, 3S, 3T, 3T, 2A, 2A, 2T, 2L.....?

When she did 3S+2A wasn't that counted as a sequence and not a combo, and thus only 80% of the value or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information