Who Was the Best Television Character of All Time?

Cachoo

Who has impacted the television audience the most? Who has impacted YOU the most?

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Some for consideration:'

Doctor Who

From various Star Trek series:
Mr. Spock
Nyota Uhura
Jean-Luc Picard
Data

Lucy Ricardo (I Love Lucy)
Donna Stone (The Donna Reed Show)
Ann Marie (That Girl)
Mary Richards (Mary Tyler Moore Show)
Julia Baker (Julia)
Marshal Matt Dillon (Gunsmoke)
Archie and Edith Bunker (All in the Family)
Edina Monsoon/Patsy Stone (AbFab)
J.R. Ewing (Dallas)
Alexis Carrington Colby etc. (Dynasty)
Emma Peel (The Avengers)
Tony Soprano
Miss Jane Pittman (The Autobiography of...)
Kunta Kinte (Roots)
Sophia Burset (Orange is the New Black)

attyfan

Raymond Burr was given an obituary in the Los Angeles Daily Journal (a professional publication for lawyers) because so many were inspired by "Perry Mason" to enter the legal profession

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yeah, anything that Julia Louis-Dreyfus has been over the years. Selina or Elaine, I’ll take either.

Also- Sydney Andrews from Melrose Place circa season 3-4. Still some of the best TV I’ve seen 😝

Cachoo

For me the two names that first came to mind were Mary Richards and Archie Bunker. I often wonder how the Brits would answer this question.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
My husband still raves about Lt. Uhura. I would pick Carol Burnett.

Whoopi Goldberg has stated on multiple occasions that seeing Nichelle Nichols appearing on "Star Trek" (the original series) as Lt. Uhura, a highly capable member of the core command team of the Starship Enterprise, was a seminal event in her young life and an inspiration to her career.

I adore Carol Burnett, but the person who started the post mentioned characters, not performers - so I will be happy to add Eunice from "The Family" sketches, as well as Vicki Lawrence as the ultimate Southern Mama.

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I'm not sure, but @VALuvsMKwan list of: Ann Marie, Emma Peel and Mary Richards resonated with me. The characters showed me that strong women could be successful without being a wife or mother. (Yes, Emma Peel was Mrs. Peel but never saw or heard about him.)

Role models are important.

I included them for just that reason.

And in that spirit, because I also adore Kate Mulgrew, I will add as personal favorites Mary Ryan from "Ryan's Hope" and Captain/later Admiral Kathryn Janeway from "Star Trek: Voyager".

Perhaps not politically as correct these days, but also Claire Huxtable from "The Cosby Show".

quartz

scratching at the light
I always wanted to be Elly May Clampett. She was so gosh darn pretty, constantly surrounded by critters who adored her, and could wrassle any dude that picked on her. :kickass:

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
I love, love, love Carol Burnett and all her characters from "The Carol Burnett Show." That was my Saturday night pleasure as a young kid.

Ed Asner as Lou Grant, both on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and then "Lou Grant," which was such a totally opposite kind of program (comedy vs. drama) was one of my favorite TV characters ever, and he was brilliant in both.

Japanfan

I doubt many here remember or have ever watched the British comedies Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister from the 70s.

My vote goes to Nigel Hawthorne, who played Humphrey, the conniving, pedantic and loquacious civil servant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information