ISU Congress

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Yes, ladies are still required to wear skirts in ice dance, for both testing and competition. Pants were allowed for the hip-hop SD but that only applied to that program/season.

And yes, it's an outdated rule that should be changed.

For testing as well, under USFS?

Erin

Banned Member
Yes, ladies are still required to wear skirts in ice dance, for both testing and competition. Pants were allowed for the hip-hop SD but that only applied to that program/season.

And yes, it's an outdated rule that should be changed.

They were also allowed for the 03-04 rock and roll OD - it took me forever to find, but I knew I had a memory of Nozomi Watanabe wearing pants for an OD and here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w4TxHukhng

Debbie S

They were also allowed for the 03-04 OD rock and roll - it took me forever to find, but I knew I had a memory of Nozomi Watanabe wearing pants for an OD and here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w4TxHukhng
And I think they allowed it in 08-09....I remember Rubleva's (I think it was her?) sailor costume.

ETA: Bobrova the following season...I used to remember everything...

Last edited:

giselle23

TSL has tweeted: The Zagitova Rule: second-half jump bonus limit of 1 in SP and 3 in FS...

Phil Hersh needs to get on this right now so he can get a quote from someone to show that even if he gets scooped by TSL (again), he still has the in-depth analysis.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Phil Hersh needs to get on this right now so he can get a quote from someone to show that even if he gets scooped by TSL (again), he still has the in-depth analysis.

I wouldn't call that a scoop. The ISU Congress is live online - anyone can watch and follow along and post what they're watching, as some are doing on Twitter, including TSL.

Willin

According to Prins, rejection of the split judging panel, argh...
https://twitter.com/JeroenPrinsNL/status/1004016342532526080

Not ISU Congress, but according to IFS Magazine, the ISU has proposed Synchro for the OWG and is waiting for the IOC's decision.

https://twitter.com/ifsmagazine/status/1004031841538596865

Not according to IFS Magazine, waiting for the IOC to drop a bucket of ice water over that request.
Yup. Until synchro can decrease the number of athletes needed, it won’t be included. They’re trying right now, but the proposed change isn’t exactly popular. So I don’t think it will happen

SamuraiK

Im on the beginning of the livestream for today and I just have to :wall::wall: so hard at the old folks in the council insisting on keeping the CD players as a format for the skaters to give the organizers their competition music instead of using USB.

Debbie S

Im on the beginning of the livestream for today and I just have to :wall::wall: so hard at the old folks in the council insisting on keeping the CD players as a format for the skaters to give the organizers their competition music instead of using USB.
Does it specifically say the skaters are "giving" their music on CD? In the U.S. for the past several years, skaters have been uploading their music electronically for pretty much all comps, including Nats. I would think the feds/ISU would do the same thing...i'm thinking the CDs are merely the medium the music gets burned on? My guess is the push to keep using CDs has something to do with upgrading (or not) the music playing equipment...feds (esp small ones) probably want to hold off on the expense?

danibellerika

So we get all the combinations in the second half

That bothers me less than an unbalanced program. If you can do combos in the second half after doing everything else then more power to you, especially since it's the last set of jumps. Though I guess people could spend the first half front loading just to get the combos in as close to the half way mark as possible.

SamuraiK

Does it specifically say the skaters are "giving" their music on CD? In the U.S. for the past several years, skaters have been uploading their music electronically for pretty much all comps, including Nats. I would think the feds/ISU would do the same thing...i'm thinking the CDs are merely the medium the music gets burned on? My guess is the push to keep using CDs has something to do with upgrading (or not) the music playing equipment...feds (esp small ones) probably want to hold off on the expense?

Actually the developing/small countries (Mexico and Argentina) were the ones insisting of getting rid of the CD . It was Japan who insisted on having a transition period keeping the CD on the rules. Norway complained they have to accept the CDs because that's what the rules say but that after it they have to convert them all to digital formats becasue they have no rinks with CD players. Who knew this topic would be so debated.

kwanatic

Most sound systems have an audio jack. Just hook the skater's phone up to it :lol:

caseyedwards

Zagitova one of few skaters to use lots second half for bonus! Most skaters who use bonus if program is 4 minutes do jumps from 2:00 to 2:30

Willin

@SamuraiK @Debbie S Keeping CDs is archaic as a primary format, but they're still useful to have as a backup. When my skaters compete we submit the electronic version and then keep a minimum of two back-up CDs on our person in case of some sort of error with the file (a corrupt version was uploaded, the wrong version was uploaded, the competition computer has an error). Heck, all competitive skaters I know have been trained in exactly what to do when the music goes bad: you head to the referee, find out the issue, and if needed bring them the backup CD your coach should have on their person.

I understand and encourage requiring all submissions to be electronic, but at the same time I think all competitions should have a CD player on hand in case of an error or computer malfunction. As great as computers and digital music players are, there's always a chance for problems. I've seen competitions as high as sectionals having issues with the music computer shutting down unexpectedly in the middle of competitions for an update, and there's been a not insignificant number of times I've seen practice ice sessions interrupted or filled with confused skaters because the coach uploaded the wrong music file.

SamuraiK

@SamuraiK @Debbie S Keeping CDs is archaic as a primary format, but they're still useful to have as a backup. When my skaters compete we submit the electronic version and then keep a minimum of two back-up CDs on our person in case of some sort of error with the file (a corrupt version was uploaded, the wrong version was uploaded, the competition computer has an error). Heck, all competitive skaters I know have been trained in exactly what to do when the music goes bad: you head to the referee, find out the issue, and if needed bring them the backup CD your coach should have on their person.

I understand and encourage requiring all submissions to be electronic, but at the same time I think all competitions should have a CD player on hand in case of an error or computer malfunction. As great as computers and digital music players are, there's always a chance for problems. I've seen competitions as high as sectionals having issues with the music computer shutting down unexpectedly in the middle of competitions for an update, and there's been a not insignificant number of times I've seen practice ice sessions interrupted or filled with confused skaters because the coach uploaded the wrong music file.

In the end the proposal was rejected (43 against vs 18 in favor) so the CDS are still the mandatory format for ISU sanctioned events for the skaters to submit their music. But after it USA demanded the council to have a better proposal for next congress and the task was assigned to the athletes comission.

Debbie S

Most sound systems have an audio jack. Just hook the skater's phone up to it :lol:
A little hard to do at comps, especially say, Worlds. Rather unwieldy. ;) Although I do recall at the exhibition practice at 2013 SA, the music people were uploading some of the skaters' programs from their phones - I guess b/c that was the first int'l comp the skaters had performed their exhibition in, there was no electronic file of it anywhere (or maybe just a small amount of time to upload, since the ladies ended an hour before the ex). I remember them having a bit of difficulty uploading M-T/M's music (but got it after a few tries) and I think there was some discussion of just using Dylan's phone in the show, b/c I overheard him ask if he should put it in airplane mode in case someone called him....I must admit, the thought of a ringing phone in the middle of their ex performance was :lol:. But they got it straightened out.

Heck, all competitive skaters I know have been trained in exactly what to do when the music goes bad: you head to the referee, find out the issue, and if needed bring them the backup CD your coach should have on their person.
Yes, I used to compete (adult) so I'm aware of this (although I'll add to wait for the whistle to blow before going to the ref, b/c otherwise, you'll get a deduction (under IJS) for stopping). ;) I volunteer at my club's comp so I know things can go wrong occasionally. That's why we ask skaters to bring a backup copy. I do know that the music crew does download and test the music in advance, b/c our comp chair will get e-mails from them asking to contact such-and-such entrant to upload new music if a file is corrupted or incompatible.

Willin

@Debbie S Don't know if it's changed for singles, but for synchro you now have to stop within something like 10 seconds of the music cutting out. If you don't stop, whatever you did without music is judged. If you do stop, you are allowed to restart the program at the point the music cut out with no penalty (or maybe from the beginning of the element during which the music cut out?) and have that judged instead.

Either way, Norway is being stupid for not having a CD player to use as backup. I get that they're becoming harder to find, but you can still get one.

Bellanca

A consistent, reliable jumper probably won't care when, where or how many times they'll be required to jump in their programs for points, etc. They'll simply adjust to the change.

Tinami Amori

Too bad on the age thing. Stuck with tiny champions for another 4 years. So boring.
What's too bad is the fact that the age requirement for Ladies Seniors to be 15 existed since 1996, and all the BS arguments and motions to increase the age, started ONLY now, 22 years later, when Russian/Eteri's girls start to win and sweep the podiums in Sr and Jr, and to perform ultra-difficult elements.

Had there been ANY discussions about age increase prior to "Eteri's phenomenon", at least 3-4-5 years before, i would think it is "concern for athletes". But it started ONLY with Enteri's girls... and that's a blunt bias, mostly against Russians/Eteri's group and to some extend against Japanese girls.

The "age increase" number, from 15 to 17, is also not random. It specifically targets several Eteri's girls with ultra-difficult elements. Why not 16 or 18? why 17? because it leaves several of her girls out of 2022 Olympics eligibility.

Both countries, who are winning the events, Japan and Russia, voted "no" to the inclusion of the issue in the agenda.

Now i want to know, which jealous nasty looser federation set up Netherlands (which has no dogs in this race) to introduce the age increase into the agenda?

SamuraiK

Now i want to know, which jealous nasty looser federation set up Netherlands (which has no dogs in this race) to introduce the age increase into the agenda?

Most of the "hot" proposals for this congress came surprisingly from the Netherlands , a country that has minimal participation on figure skating these days but which happens to be the new ISU president home federation. I don't think its a coincidence. The same used to happen with Cinquanta and ITA's federation all the time.

Also , the motion of taking the age proposal out of the agenda came from papa Chait from ISR aka Russian D team federation :p. The cynic in me agrees with Hersh for once and thinks he acted as surrogate for Russia.

Tinami Amori

Most of the "hot" proposals for this congress came surprisingly from the Netherlands , a country that has minimal participation on figure skating these days but which happens to be the new ISU president home federation. I don't think its a coincidence. The same used to happen with Cinquanta and ITA's federation all the time.
Well, someone had to alert Netherlands to introduce this action.. :lol:

Also , the motion of taking the age proposal out of the agenda came from papa Chait from ISR aka Russian D team federation :p. The cynic in me agrees with Hersh for once and thinks he acted as surrogate for Russia.
If that's the case, then good! That is not an initiative, but a defense/reaction to a vile attack on their success.

If people fight dirty against you, then you have to fight dirty back.

SamuraiK

Well, someone had to alert Netherlands to introduce this action.. :lol:

If that's the case, then good! That is not an initiative, but a defense/reaction to a vile attack on their success.

If people fight dirty against you, then you have to fight dirty back.

I do agree that If I were RUS fed I'd do the same. If age were really an issue a formal proposal would have been submitted on the usual deadline. Making it an "urgent" proposal seemed a desperate attempt and RUS ISR played within the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information