Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Emdee

Do you need to pay 100 000 per year for traning with Zoueva and Shpilband?
In Scott case he become the most decorated figure skater at OG. So why they need college for working in figure skating? I can't get this.

We didnt say that Scott needed college to work in figure skating. But if he wants to be the head of Skate Canada a business degree would make sense. He has to career path not for next year but for 10 years down the road.

I know you want him to pass on his knowledge of figure skating and become a coach but does he want that?

Just want to say that this is a free and frank discussion with no ill feeling. We are in an interesting time wondering what our favourites will be up to next.

Twilight1

Do you need to pay 100 000 per year for traning with Zoueva and Shpilband?
In Scott case he become the most decorated figure skater at OG. So why they need college for working in figure skating? I can't get this.

Because there is life after sport and not everyone wants to stay in figure skating for life. Some do, some don't. It is an unreasonable demand to expect skaters to do what you want them to do with their own life. ;)

pani

Sorry, Pani. I was a University lecturer for 8 years so you could say i have a solid experience in educating minds. Further, when I came to Canada and worked in commerce my teaching capabilities were noticed so I always had interns training under me for 6 months to 2 years. I am proud to say some of them are Presidents and CEOs.

Education is not amassing facts. That can easily be obtained from the internet or books. Education teaches you how to think and analyze facts. This is my perspective.
Sorry, but why you spend 8 years, when need 4?

Emdee

Sorry, but why you spend 8 years, when need 4?
One Bachelors 4 years
One Masters in English Literature 2 years
One Masters in History...because I loved it ...2 years.

Total of 8 years.
Not counting the night school I did here that was another 6 years while working and supporting my husband so he could requalify!

pani

Because there is life after sport and not everyone wants to stay in figure skating for life. Some do, some don't. It is an unreasonable demand to expect skaters to do what you want them to do with their own life. ;)
So Scott want stay in FS, what wrong with it? People play, like skaters need to left FS and will spend there life where? In office with boring papers? I read about some skaters had degree in law, but then return in FS, because didn't have success.
Could you tell me about skaters, who become good in different business? Belbin on TV, but I hate what she did with Agosto.
As for Tessa she is talking about education, but didn't have enough time in two years break to finished it? OK.
If shewant her own business so much she need to left Scott along and don't use his name for having more sponsorships.

pani

One Bachelors 4 years
One Masters in English Literature 2 years
One Masters in History...because I loved it ...2 years.

Total of 8 years.
Not counting the night school I did here that was another 6 years while working and supporting my husband so he could requalify!
Thanks. So you spend this year's not for getting Bachelors, when I am talking about skaters, who spended 10 years only for it.

Emdee

Ultimately, people have to do what makes them happy and fulfilled. If coaching fulfils him then yes. But it shouldnt be a fall back option.

These two have given us so much enjoyment and pride so whatever works for them is good for me.

Emdee

Thanks. So you spend this year's not for getting Bachelors, when I am talking about skaters, who spended 10 years only for it.
I was a full time student. My parents paid for all my expenses. I had nothing else to do but study and enjoy life.
Skating is full time so good that at least she continues to study. I think Michelle Kwan studied on and off until she retired as well.Tessa probably looked at it like a gap year after the stress of Sochi.

Last edited:

Alexandria

Geez, what is going on here? I see two people who have just concluded an amazing record breaking career, have a packed touring schedule, and are likely trying to figure out their next steps and what they want in the future after devoting their lives to skating. I don’t see how either Tessa or Scott have done anything wrong or remotely controversial since winning. They’ve both been extremely busy and also lauded as extremely kind by almost everyone they’ve encountered. They also look generally super happy and content, which I definitely did not think after Sochi. I don’t see what there even is to pick apart or complain about. Everything seems to be pretty great for both of them. Just my take.

ETA: I also think it’s pretty clear that Scott doesn’t care about sponsorships or social media yet has expressed how proud and supportive he is of Tessa for what she’s done. These things don’t just come to you. You’ve got to hustle for them which I’m sure she’s done and he seems super supportive of that even if he doesn’t have interest in business himself. Not sure why fans can’t also be supportive of their hard work, interests,and happiness.

Emdee

Geez, what is going on here? I see two people who have just concluded an amazing record breaking career, have a packed touring schedule, and are likely trying to figure out their next steps and what they want in the future after devoting their lives to skating. I don’t see how either Tessa or Scott have done anything wrong or remotely controversial since winning. They’ve both been extremely busy and also lauded as extremely kind by almost everyone they’ve encountered. They also look generally super happy and content, which I definitely did not think after Sochi. I don’t see what there even is to pick apart or complain about. Everything seems to be pretty great for both of them. Just my take.

ETA: I also think it’s pretty clear that Scott doesn’t care about sponsorships or social media yet has expressed how proud and supportive he is of Tessa for what she’s done. These things don’t just come to you. You’ve got to hustle for them which I’m sure she’s done and he seems super supportive of that even if he doesn’t have interest in business himself. Not sure why fans can’t also be supportive of their hard work, interests,and happiness.
We have been on the TS bandwagon for at least 10 years. This has made us invested in them as people. For us it is an end...for them a new beginning.

pani

About Scott's mom
https://www.westernmustangs.ca/coaches.aspx?rc=177
The varsity skating coach chose the school as her post- secondary educational institution of choice, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in physical education. Through her years at Western, Alma was a member of the school’s skating team winning many OWIIA gold medals and also taking on the role as student coach. In 1978, Moir took over as head coach and, aside from taking a few years off to focus on her children, has held the position ever since.

Vera Costa

Could you tell me about skaters, who become good in different business? Belbin on TV, but I hate what she did with Agosto.

Rachel Flatt, Michelle Kwan,

Joannie Rochette is studying to be a doctor.

While I'm at it, not everyone needs to achieve the same success/fame with their post-skating careers that they did with their competitive ones. There are people who may actually like spending their time 'in office with boring papers'.

Also, stop shaming people who don't finish their degrees in 4 years. Even outside of skaters, there is a wide variety of reason this isn't always possible. Mental/physical health, finance, etc. As some who claims to have experience in educations, you should know better.

We didnt say that Scott needed college to work in figure skating. But if he wants to be the head of Skate Canada a business degree would make sense. He has to career path not for next year but for 10 years down the road.

Yup. A further education may not be Scott's priority, that's fair. A college degree isn't a prerequisite for every career.

We don't know Scott's aspiration for his professional life to speak to his academic needs.

But as someone who is only a couple years younger than Tessa, in the current workforce, a degree is more helpful than it is not.

Shayii

I don’t even know where this notion that the Moir family is more entrepreneurial minded than educational comes from lol. As pani posted his mom has a degree and I believe his aunt is a dentist. Anyway this whole thing is funny. Pani, nobody attacked the Moirs as I can see, but now you’re attacking Tessa’s mom and trying to create some kind of conflict between Tessa and Scott.
Also want to ask, is this OK she named him "training animal"?
Are referring to this? All she’s saying is that he likes to train :lol: not that he’s an animal.

Emdee

I don’t even know where this notion that the Moir family is more entrepreneurial minded than educational comes from lol. As pani posted his mom has a degree and I believe his aunt is a dentist. Anyway this whole thing is funny. Pani, nobody attacked the Moirs as I can see, but now you’re attacking Tessa’s mom and trying to create some kind of conflict between Tessa and Scott.

Are referring to this? All she’s saying is that he likes to train :lol: not that he’s an animal.
Shay I felt his family was entrepreneurial as they have/had a restaurant and the skate sharpening business.

I think Pani missed the nuances of training animal...

pani

That's why I asked about "traning animal", because I missed nuances and didn't like it at all.
Shay, Tessa's mom is a great example when education is just a Diploma on the wall. Her children's grow up, but she didn't left her daughter alone.
And of couse this is Moir's from low class.
As for job perspective, I agree education I very important, but for three time OMG?

Shayii

@Emdee no they’re definitely entrepreneurial. I just meant I don’t think they’re that more than they are educational.

Pani, I don’t think it’s about leaving her daughter alone. They’re close and Tessa obviously enjoys her mother’s company as well. I’m an only child and I’m very close to my mom too. I think she helps Tessa kind of like an assistant. Tessa’s other siblings have a family and life of their own so I think it’s good Tessa is there for her mother since her parents are divorced. That’s a good daughter lol.

Twilight1

Why not Pani?

I legit don't understand this. If Scott wants to do a degree in underwater basket weaving because he wants to do it, go for it. Education is education and is a good thing to have.

Emdee

That's why I asked about "traning animal", because I missed nuances and didn't like it at all.
Shay, Tessa's mom is a great example when education is just a Diploma on the wall. Her children's grow up, but she didn't left her daughter alone.
As for job perspective, I agree education I very important, but for three time OMG?

Pani, IMO education teaches you to think. Mayb
I think that education is an end in itself. It can create or enhance a career but doesnt have to do that. Her mom may be active in her church, her community, volunteering Using her education in that way. Not for us to judge.

pani

Why not Pani?

I legit don't understand this. If Scott wants to do a degree in underwater basket weaving because he wants to do it, go for it. Education is education and is a good thing to have.
Because i think during all this years in buisness Scott have a lot off knowledges, wich will be useful for young people and he know much more, then judges, who neved were a skaters.

pani

Pani, IMO education teaches you to think. Mayb

I think that education is an end in itself. It can create or enhance a career but doesnt have to do that. Her mom may be active in her church, her community, volunteering Using her education in that way. Not for us to judge.
Yes, we could judge only Moir's.

IloveFS

Rachel Flatt, Michelle Kwan,

Joannie Rochette is studying to be a doctor.

While I'm at it, not everyone needs to achieve the same success/fame with their post-skating careers that they did with their competitive ones. There are people who may actually like spending their time 'in office with boring papers'.

Also, stop shaming people who don't finish their degrees in 4 years. Even outside of skaters, there is a wide variety of reason this isn't always possible. Mental/physical health, finance, etc. As some who claims to have experience in educations, you should know better.

Yup. A further education may not be Scott's priority, that's fair. A college degree isn't a prerequisite for every career.

We don't know Scott's aspiration for his professional life to speak to his academic needs.

But as someone who is only a couple years younger than Tessa, in the current workforce, a degree is more helpful than it is not.

Vera Costa - well said! I think this thread has gone off course. What Scott and Tessa choose to do once their skating career is over is really none of our business. We can wish them well with their future endeavours!

D

Deleted member 74551

Let's take the thread in a new direction - When do you think they will make an official announcement? Or, do you think they will choose not to make any formal announcement?

They don’t seem to be leaving it open ended the way they did after Sochi- they’ve said in several interviews now that they plan to discuss it and announce their plans in July (I presume they have a break between commitments then). It doesn’t sound like they’re going to remain silent on the matter. In the highly unlikely event they don’t confirm retirement in the summer, I think the only way they’d even consider continuing is to follow the same pattern as this quad and come back in 2020. I’d be astonished though.

Sonata

A thousand likes to this post! They both seem so inspired by the team around them in Montreal (coaching and B2Ten), and I have a feeling from interviews that Scott has found a life purpose through that experience, and that it has fed Tessa’s interest in sports psychology.

I don’t think they will stay on, but I would not be surprised to see them commentate or be involved in some way in 2020, when worlds will be in Montreal.

pani

BTW, i think it will be interesting to see TS in DWTS. They are great dancers, will be intereting to see them dancing on the floor. I know this will be again hipe arrownd Tessa, but i think Scott will be great and will dance with beautiful girl (i like Adam patner). For sure they will be better for this show then Tonya and Mirai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information