Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

MamaS

When traveling from Cda to Europe on a non direct flight your luggage is checked in at the cdn airport and transferred through to your connecting flight (hopefully the correct one). You do not get your checked bag back again so there’s no way to add skates into it once you’re in Europe. These athletes must put them in checked bags if they are making any sort of connecting flight in Europe.

barbarafan

Do you know which pairs and competition, @barbarafan? Did you see this on FB or ??
Well..I did see it on one of the teams fb or their training fb site and I believe the other team was mentioned. Then on the isu site....It is something like Egna or similiar I think in April. I will try to find it

danafan

Canadian ladies über

honey

Is KMT injured? Anyone know? She seemed to be favouring her leg/ankle at the end of their SP.

Apparently, yes.

“It was difficult today,’’ said Moore-Towers, who is battling an ankle injury. ‘’We haven’t done a full program since the Olympics. But we were successful in staying present in each moment and finished strong.’’

Quote at the end of this article.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018...ay-of-figure-skating-world-championships.html

Keeping two spots looking more precarious now.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Somewhat OT but it was clarified on twitter than the Knierims can finish 11th and keep two spots because the second US pair finished 17th, and 11+17 is the magic number 28.

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/976569316505038848
Oh, I always forget about 17th place in Pairs vs. not making the FS for 18 points in every other discipline. Ideally, given the competition ahead of them, MT/M will come in 10th, and SK/K will come in 11th, and both the US and Canada will earn two spots for next year.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Somewhat OT but it was clarified on twitter than the Knierims can finish 11th and keep two spots because the second US pair finished 17th, and 11+17 is the magic number 28.

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/976569316505038848

This doesn’t seem consistent with the ISU document that @Sylvia linked to here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...wo-skating-as-one.101317/page-20#post-5329608

Unless I am confused (quite possible ;))

The text seems to say if the SP placement is lower than 18 (S/B’s placement is 17), still, 18 points are awarded.

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

I think mag’s kid was an international competitor, so she knows a lot about travel with skates...

Then she should know a little more about the support team surrounding the athletes.
Mag sure can tell us which competitions her daughter took part in abroad.
She wouldn’t be the sole poster on this forum to have had such experience. You never know the background behind our screen name...

ChiquitaBanana

(Alert : this post might hurt some’s sensibility)

You remember, I wanted to match Moore-Towers and Massot?
Abort the project, I have a better idea... Kirsten and Charlie Bilodeau. That would be such a fantasy coming true!

(Please, make my day, don’t dismantle my high hopes and dreams... )

mag

@ChiquitaBanana I have worked in the airline industry and I know for a fact figure skates have been carried on through Frankfurt. The European Union regulations around carry on baggage do not specifically forbid figure skates. The TSA regulations specifically say that figure skates are permitted in carry on.

Now, having spent many years also as a skating parent, I can also assure you that coaches and federation official vary greatly in their competence. I would never, ever, accept what one told me about anything (other than specific technical coaching stuff) without thoroughly checking it out myself first. Once burned, twice shy.

ChiquitaBanana

@ChiquitaBanana I have worked in the airline industry and I know for a fact figure skates have been carried on through Frankfurt. The European Union regulations around carry on baggage do not specifically forbid figure skates. The TSA regulations specifically say that figure skates are permitted in carry on.

Now, having spent many years also as a skating parent, I can also assure you that coaches and federation official vary greatly in their competence. I would never, ever, accept what one told me about anything (other than specific technical coaching stuff) without thoroughly checking it out myself first. Once burned, twice shy.

I doubt Richard Gauthier, Bruno Marcotte and Michael Slipchuk are like the wannabe coaches you see along the roads...

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So even if small, there seems to be a chance that Canada could go from 3 spots to 1. Has such a thing ever happened before?

shutterbug

Rafter

(Alert : this post might hurt some’s sensibility)

You remember, I wanted to match Moore-Towers and Massot?
Abort the project, I have a better idea... Kirsten and Charlie Bilodeau. That would be such a fantasy coming true!

(Please, make my day, don’t dismantle my high hopes and dreams... )

I like this idea but I doubt it will ever happen.

I see KMT as Canada no 1 next year.

barbarafan

barbarafan

just watched julianne and charlie's skate. wow, what a shock. i wasn't expecting that one. i'd thought (perhaps "hoped" is a better word) they'd be in striking distance of a medal.
I had been thinking just off the podium. Julianne did not look well. I hope she is ok

Catherine M

I like this idea but I doubt it will ever happen.

I see KMT as Canada no 1 next year.

And me to the list that would love to see KMT and Charlie together. And agree it probably would never happen but as painful it would be for their existing partners, sometimes you need to think of the big picture as what do you want as an athlete???

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information